the dotted part is an eighth note. since it is dotted it lasts for an eigth note and a half wich would be a 16th. so its an eigth +16th
so you would count that section as 1...2e and a 3. so the dotted one is sustained untill the 3rd chord is played on the "a". same thing for the next half of that bar. and ditto for the whole next bar.

i believe i failed at explaining but i hope it helped
A dot adds half of a note's value.

A quarter note consists of two eighth notes, so a dotted quarter note will consist of three eighth notes, that's one and a half beats. So to complete two beats, you need to add one eighth note.

An eighth note consists of two sixteenths, so a dotted eighth note will consist of three sixteenths. To complete that one beat, it needs to be capped off with one sixteenth.

Tap your foot on the beat, and sing 1 e + a, clap (placing emphasis) on the "1" and the "a". That's how it feels.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 21, 2011,
ONE e and a TWO e and A THREE e and a FOUR e and A...each syllable representing each semi-quaver.

Also, when a note is dotted, multiply the note duration by 1.5.

E.g. a dotted semibreve lasts for 6 beats.

In your example, the dotted quaver means the beat lasts for 1.5 quavers, or 3 semi-quavers. That last semiquaver completes the beat.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Sep 23, 2011,
Bumping this because I don't want to make a new thread devoted to a quick question and the title fits my question....on with it:

How can I count a more complex rhythm such as Can't Stop by RHCP...I know it's 4/4 but I can't figure out all the notes so that I can really work it on a metronome..and most of the accented notes fall off of the 1 2 3 4 so I have trouble just tapping my foot because some notes will lag a bit behind and some...blah blah blah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOdWSiyWoc&ob=av3e

can anyone help me out??

I just need the main riff, I got the intro, but it took me forever, anyone have any suggestions formaking this stuff easier I know my drummer friend was like duh, but this stuff is killing me
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.