I got my first tube amp a couple of months ago, it was a hand wired 18w Marshall-esque amp made by a buddy of my guitar instructor, I paid $600 for it. I love the tones the amp is capable of but to be honest an 18w Marshall leaves much to be desired, mainly its range of tones is quite limited and getting a usable clean is near impossible. so i'm in the market for a new amp. The guy will take the amp back for what I paid, so no issues there. I'm not currently a gigging musician, the extent of my playing is jamming with friends. We play a large variety of things ranging from Bluesy to Metally so something with versatility would be nice. I was thinking a V3 but i'm open to suggestions.

Budget? - $650+$100 IF I SELL MY FULLTONE OCD

Genres? - Ranges from Led Zeppelin, to Metallica, to Killswitch Engage, a good clean would be nice. Think thrash tones plus or minus some

New or Used? - Used preferably

Home or Gig? - Jamming mostly, possibly gigging in the future.

Closest City? - Orange County/LA

Current Gear? - I have an 87' MIJ Strat with a Gibson Burstbucker and stocksingles, HSS, Fulltone OCD (will sell if necessary), Avatar 2x12 with G12K100's.
Last edited by ticktockboom at Sep 21, 2011,
I've heard that JCM800's outside the 2203/2204 range are generally undesirable due to the clipping diodes, the Vetta is definitely an option but prior to this thread my two top choices would have been a JSX or a V3. I've heard the V3 is extremely versatile and used in my area it runs about $450, any input on the V3?
IMNSHO, the V3 is the most versatile amp that isn't a modeler out there!
AWESOME metals tones, AWESOME bluesy tones, Awesome crunch/rock and roll, and AWESOME cleans!
VERY dynamic, and respond wonderfully to pedals.

More features than ANYTHING in it's price range short of a modeling amp. Find another amp with all this for x2 the price!

3 channel, all tube amp (Made in USA)
100w switchable to 50w. Your choice of EL34, KT77, 6L6 tubes (bias switch for EL34,KT77 type or 6L6 type)
All 3 channels have a choice of 3 different voicings
All 3 channels have dedicated EQs, volumes, and gain.
All 3 channels also have 2 options for EQ. Standard and Expanded (HUGE tone-shaping feature)
ALSO Global EQ settings as well as master volume
2 effects loops, Serial, and parallel. Both can be assigned to any channel or combination of channels. Parallel loop has adjustable level control.
Both loops are footswitchable (and the amp remembers which loops you had on which channels, so when you go back to the last channel, your loop switches back as well.
Both loops have a switchable "tail" feature (lets an effect ring out even after a channel switch)
Line out with switchable cab simulator, and level control.
Programable LED backlighting while it makes no changes to the tone, being able to see which channel your running from across the room is helpful to some (me)
Adjustable clean volume boost (programable as well), also footswitchable.
1meg pots (larger range sweep)
Built in MIDI to control: Channel switching, both effects loops, clean boost, amp color.
Circuit breaker instead of fuses.

The JSX is also a nice head, not quite as versatile, but good none the less.
If you can get a V3 for $450....GET ONE!

Do a search on youtube to hear the versatility of this head. These things have a great reputation for durability as well.

For the time being, I leave a chorus on the parallel loop, and assign it to the clean channel. At the same time, my dirty channels use the serial loop where I have a delay, and noise suppressor.

Channel switching is INSTANT, and silent! (NOT the case with some other semi-expensive tube amps I have used!).

As mentioned, the 1meg pots have a huge range. you can get more bass, mids, and/or treble than you will ever need, and they can all but cut as much as you like.
The Global EQ is AWESOME for a gigging musician. Boomy room, turn down the depth, and up the bright. Lively room, cut the bright, and roll back the mids a little. NEVER mess with your beloved channel settings or volumes!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The V3 is a great amplifier; particularly for the money. It is remarkably versatile. Some have said it livens up even more if you bias it a bit hotter. You won't be disappointed.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Can't really go wrong with a V3 tbh, especially if you get a good price on it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Tonally is the V3M any different from the standard V3? aside from the 50W reduction of course. Im sure 50 should be fine to do metal at a giggable level right?
hey i remember you. you're that guy. with that amp.

did you ever get that amp sorted.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The V3M is quite different but nice. It uses EL84 power tubes so its quite different than the EL34/6l6s the V3 uses. I love the V3 personally and it will do all you want it to. Do expect to do some tweaking with it though to get the best tones possible.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by AcousticMirror
hey i remember you. you're that guy. with that amp.

did you ever get that amp sorted.

unfortunately not. tonally it works fine its just got some reliability issues that i'm not too comfortable with hence my inclination to sell it back. I don't feel like I got ripped or anything though, the maker is a mutual friend so it shouldn't be too difficult to get him to take it back for what i payed.
Quote by ticktockboom
Tonally is the V3M any different from the standard V3? aside from the 50W reduction of course. Im sure 50 should be fine to do metal at a giggable level right?

As has been said above, it does differ from the V3 with the tubes but it is still very versatile and certainly loud enough for gigging.
Heh, at the loud enough for gigging, I run my carvin xv112 at 12.5 watts and that's more than loud enough for gigging!

You simply can't go wrong with either V3, so incredibly versatile. Has the amazing cleans carvin is renowned for, and both gain channels are like a dream...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Carvin V3? Yes.

Very overlooked amp on these boards, indeed. Great for the price, and great sounding in general. You won't regret it.

Oh yeah, and it's made in the U.S.A.. Not China.
The V3 is an extremely versatile head. I love mine. If you get one i highly recommend you to put 6l6s in the power amp section and to bias the amp around 135ma. These amps sound great when warmed up.
^I really like my JJ E34l power tubes. . But I fully agree with bumping the bias up to 140-150.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I happiest with my 6L6s at 135ish. My EL34s didn't like being above 125....sounded a bit odd.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Oh did you get that motorboat problem? Seems like a select few of the early ones would do that with el34 type tubes when the bias was brought up. Not all of them did it and it was quickly fixed but just curious.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent