Do you guys wipe down your strings every time you play? If so, what do you use, a micro fiber towel? I notice my fingers get black, is that from the strings or the fret boards?
I wipe my strings down after every long practice session and gig. I only use a handkerchief, though, so I don't really think it does much. And considering how humid it is here, it doesn't matter really. I have to change strings constantly.
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
Nope and i sweat like a pig when im playing. I change strings every month so rusting is not really an issue for me.
Only if I sweat A LOT, like after a show. I see no need, worst case, they suck after 3+ months, they're only like 8 bucks.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Yeah. I just use a soft fabric sample swatch. I wipe them down so they don't become sticky with sweat. Rust isn't an issue for my strings when I wipe them and apply GHS fast fret.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Hey, I use fast fret to wipe my strings down. People ALWAYS laugh when I say this, but i really think It helps you play faster. It lasts forever if u keep it in its container too...its only about like 4 bucks and it comes with a microfiber cloth too to wipe the excess off. I use it before and after I play and it makes my strings last way longer and they stay bright.
i never do i play daily i dont reallyworry about it, i just change my strings when they start to wear out and rust a little...speaking of which i need to do soon
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
I don't get sweaty hands like a lot of people do. they tend to stay pretty dry. so no, I don't wipe down my strings. I do lube them up with finger ease though
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Meh. I just use the corner of my shirt. I don't sweat a lot, unless I've been playing really fast.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
no. If my fingers get black it means I did good. Its like feeling sore after the gym. Good job
he of tranquil mind
If you're fingers are getting black, you either have extremely old/disgusting strings, or a really cheap guitar/fretboard.

To answer your question, I'll say what Rooster said. When I remember to. Which is not very often at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X