I just had a ProCo SOLO delivered today for a steal of a price. Right now I run a Vox Big Ben for a boost and overdrive but I never really found a place for it's sound. So far I'm impressed with the SOLO. It's got good sound, and it's got some real bad sounds in there. But there is a lot of room to play. Reminds me of a triple recto eq...it can take all day and you might have gold or you might have dirt. The asymetrical clipping control is really moe like a three way presence knob with a touch of gain added. It's adds good color to an already distorted channel, and it acts well as a stand alone. I'm playing reletively heavy... Originals, nothing crazy but in the styles of Opeth, Metallica, Tool, Machine Head only not as cool. What I'm wondering is if the ciruitry of the SOLO is having a different effect on my signal than the clipping of the Vox's tube. Anyone with experience with the SOLO with tips or thoughts on the pedal itself? Are people using it as a boost more or an overdrive? I like this thing a lot...then I turn it off and turn on my lead channel and I don't like it just as much....
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by Crimson_Eve
I just had a ProCo SOLO delivered today for a steal of a price. Right now I run a Vox Big Ben for a boost and overdrive but I never really found a place for it's sound. So far I'm impressed with the SOLO. It's got good sound, and it's got some real bad sounds in there. But there is a lot of room to play. Reminds me of a triple recto eq...it can take all day and you might have gold or you might have dirt. The asymetrical clipping control is really moe like a three way presence knob with a touch of gain added. It's adds good color to an already distorted channel, and it acts well as a stand alone. I'm playing reletively heavy... Originals, nothing crazy but in the styles of Opeth, Metallica, Tool, Machine Head only not as cool. What I'm wondering is if the ciruitry of the SOLO is having a different effect on my signal than the clipping of the Vox's tube. Anyone with experience with the SOLO with tips or thoughts on the pedal itself? Are people using it as a boost more or an overdrive? I like this thing a lot...then I turn it off and turn on my lead channel and I don't like it just as much....

Well, first the ProCo Solo is a Rat with added mids control and diode clipping options. Very good pedal and very overlooked. I don't have any experience with the Big Ben so I can't really help you there. I tend to keep my Solo's gain really low as I don't use if for anything heavy.
Yeah thats pretty much what I've found. I like the sound of the distortion but not nearly as much as my amp. It does well in my rhythm channel with slight od. I think its gonna remain simply a boost. For $90 delivered brand new I'm pretty pleased.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die