Poll: What instrument conveys sadness best?
Poll Options
View poll results: What instrument conveys sadness best?
Violin/Viola
71 27%
Flute
5 2%
Piano
86 32%
Harp
3 1%
Guitar
19 7%
Clarinet
1 0%
Trumpet
0 0%
Cello
45 17%
Saxaphone (lolol)
9 3%
Snare Drum
28 10%
Voters: 267.
Page 1 of 4
I was just listening to the Schindler's List score and it got me thinking about how certain instruments just seem to have an ability to convey such a deep sadness unlike others. So, in your opinion, what instrument(s) convey the most sadness to the listener?

For me it's a toss up between the piano, violin, and erhu. The piano has a very dark and warm sound do it in the low register, and a kind of haunting sound in the high register when applied correctly. As for the violin and erhu, they both have very human-like qualities that almost sound like singing when played by a master.
PM me for newts
It's definitely the cello, man. Beautiful instrument with a great range to convey all kinds of emotions. I love dark, sad cello music. It helps me relax.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Kazoo
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Guitar, imo.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I know thats its weird because its one of those instruments that people make fun of a lot, but the accordion is probably that instrument to me. I don't know why.

It is one of my favorite instruments though and i've always wanted to learn.
Quote by Weaponized
The voice.

Not included for obvious reasons.
PM me for newts
Quote by hriday_hazarika
All of them are equally capable of conveying the "most" sadness, whatever that means.

It means that if all of them played the same piece of sad music, which one do you think would most affect you? Come on now.
PM me for newts
Ehru is immediately what I thought of. Then cello. I think the ukulele sounds super nostalgic.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by StewieSwan
It means that if all of them played the same piece of sad music, which one do you think would most affect you? Come on now.

Depends on the playing of it most of the time.

The guitar is up there anyway , especially the electric guitar since there is such an astonishing range of sound that can be created with it.
Quote by StewieSwan

The saddest instrument of them all?

Nothing.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Musical saw or Chinese Fiddle(ehru?)
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by StewieSwan

Like I said, I find that all of them are equally capable.

Except the triangle. Fuck that noise note.
Listening to the solo in Nirvana's cover of the Man who Sold the World has almost brought tears to my eyes.
Oh, I thought of another one! Perhaps it's because its so often associated with funerals, but I think bagpipes can really hit you hard.
PM me for newts
Once that super wide vibrato from a violin hits in a minor key... onions everywhere.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I would say the French horn can convey the most sadness. Heck, it can convey the most of any emotion. But that's not a choice in the poll, so the snare drum hands down.
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
trombone definitely... it most mimics the human voice and has much more potential than it seems, then piano, especially Bill Evans' playing
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
Quote by StewieSwan
Oh, I thought of another one! Perhaps it's because its so often associated with funerals, but I think bagpipes can really hit you hard.

And then, you see the player wearing a kilt.
Any instrument can sound heartbreaking when played correctly. I love a slow, sad trumpet song.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Any instrument can sound heartbreaking when played correctly

Lolnah
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
You know what I meant!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Listening to the solo in Nirvana's cover of the Man who Sold the World has almost brought tears to my eyes.

I know it's pretty shit, but that's a little extreme.
Any instrument, if played correctly and by the right person.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
synthesizers.

and i'm disappointed that no one has said organ yet.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 22, 2011,
The sheer number of variety in the replies proves that any instrument can convey the most sadness, when played right.

Sad songs are the best songs.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Leonard Cohen plays a solo with a jewsharp on one of his newer albums and it sounds really melancholy with the music
Link to song plz?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Piano. Prelude in E minor by Chopin = ;_;
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Page 1 of 4