Poll: Have you ever had your opinion changed from an argument?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you ever had your opinion changed from an argument?
Yes
36 60%
No
15 25%
I have never argued with anyone on the Internet
9 15%
Voters: 60.
Sup Pit,

Just wondering how many of you have had a changed opinion due to an argument on the Internet. Or whether you enjoy arguments on the Internet and actively seek them out. But more importantly, whether or not you have had an opinion changed because of an argument on the Internet.

Poll coming soon.

EDIT: Also, I keep getting called a strawman. What does this mean?

Double EDIT: Also, if you have had your opinion changed could you say what happened to change it?
Last edited by devourke at Sep 22, 2011,
What a typical straw man thread.

And I think the only thing the internet has done is reinforce my opinions.
Bitches don't argue with me. Bitches agree.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
They're saying you're like the straw man from the Wizard of Oz in that you lack a brain.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I used to enjoy internet arguments. Of course, I'd choose my battles and only go in for something that I knew I could win. Happened often enough.

Then I became a mod, and all of a sudden, I'm not right because I'm right, I'm right because I'm an asshole mod who abuses his authority and is always right because I could ban you otherwise.

No fun anymore.
Quote by jetfuel495
I used to enjoy internet arguments. Of course, I'd choose my battles and only go in for something that I knew I could win. Happened often enough.

Then I became a mod, and all of a sudden, I'm not right because I'm right, I'm right because I'm an asshole mod who abuses his authority and is always right because I could ban you otherwise.

No fun anymore.

like the vast majority of authority figures.
People who don't change their opinions even when presented with the proper evidence are ridiculous, and they make arguments pointless.

I've changed my opinions on many arguments. I'm not a stubborn dude.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Yes. Because of the internet (UG and YouTube to be specific) I've changed my stances on religion, abortion, drug legalization, capital punishment, and even art. I do actively seek out arguments, if not to participate in then to read. And if I'm wrong about something, I want to know.

P.S., people who are like "Lol no its just the internet" are dumb. There are real people on the internet with the same opinions they have in real life. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it's not a valid argument.

/rant
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Yeah, sometimes I think.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Yeah, frequently. There are lots of really educated and intelligent people on this forum that I've learned a lot from.

A strawman argument is where you misrepresent your opponent's position in order to attack them.

Example:
Man 1: I think we need to take steps to get our country's population under control.
Man 2: Oh, so you think we should encourage people to have more abortions, huh?!
Man 1: Erm...no.

However, the term has caught on around here in recent months and I think a lot of people use it wrong in an attempt to appear more educated.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495

No fun anymore.

This, sans mod-dom.

Basically, I'm always right, and have to get Jet or Rev to ban you. It's okay, they love me.
I don't seek them out, but I do enjoy the occasional heated debate in these forums.

I've had a couple in the past which were quite entertaining, I don't think I've ever actually changed an opinion (either my own or someone elses), but I know I have opened people's mind that there are alternatives and become more knowledgeable about the alternatives myself as a result.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Somebody in a Youtube comments section once told me I'd converted them from Christian to agnostic. That was my proudest moment of that particular afternoon.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Yeah, some opinions have changed. I've learned a lot here on UG.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't think arguments I've had online have ever been on anything as crucial as, say religion or politics, but I've certainly had my opinion swayed on a lot of different art forms.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
I haven't had an opinion changed as such. But I have been made more aware of a particular issue or at the least learnt a few things through observing internet arguments. I haven't been caught up in one before though.

I just tend to look, lol and learn
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
I try to avoid arguments on the internet. I also do not remember the last time someone convinced me I was wrong.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
From articles and scientific studies, yes, I've been convinced of much. From forums, no, I've been convinced of very little.

Whenever I argue on forums I know my point beforehand, and I don't argue unless I 'know' I'm right. So even if I am wrong, you won't convince me because I care more about my pride and reputation.
Yes. But I don't like arguing with people, I let those who actually enjoy arguing go back and forth and read their debate and maybe change my opinion if it seems reasonable/logical.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by bloodshed344
From articles and scientific studies, yes, I've been convinced of much. From forums, no, I've been convinced of very little.

Whenever I argue on forums I know my point beforehand, and I don't argue unless I 'know' I'm right. So even if I am wrong, you won't convince me because I care more about my pride and reputation.

Most people are wise enough to only argue a point if they think they've got a justified belief. People don't tend to extend propositions on a whim. This is the best part of arguments - they get corrected. But you're just being stubborn.
Quote by Craigo
Most people are wise enough to only argue a point if they think they've got a justified belief. People don't tend to extend propositions on a whim. This is the best part of arguments - they get corrected. But you're just being stubborn.

Right, but if there's good empirical evidence I will concede. I'm not purposefully ignorant, just a bit stubborn. Not too bad I think.
i dont ever argue my opinion i usually pick an extreme and argue the shit out of it to see what happens. i cant possibly argue an actual opinion over the internet, debates are complete bullshit, you cant get anything across and nothing will ever get done
Quote by bloodshed344
Right, but if there's good empirical evidence I will concede. I'm not purposefully ignorant, just a bit stubborn. Not too bad I think.

You've just contradicted yourself, but okay I guess.
Argued with Dreadnought a while ago about the general state of fitness in our society. I was of the opinion that if you're fit and strong enough to capably deal with your everyday life, that's good enough. He was set on how our society is lazy, never wanting to improve themselves, and generally in terrible shape.

Made me realize how whiny and lazy I was being. Feels pretty good to be getting in proper shape now.

Edit: Most internet 'arguments' are just pissing contests between two stupid people. One person ends up being an asshole, either with or without realizing it, the other gets offended, and nobody gets anywhere with anything. I don't seek those out, participate in them, or even read them. My opinion has never been changed by them, and I doubt it ever will be either.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
No, I don't change my mind, because I am extremely particular about forming my ideas in the first place.

This. If I don't know shit I don't say it.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by fail
Yes. Because of the internet (UG and YouTube to be specific) I've changed my stances on religion, abortion, drug legalization, capital punishment, and even art. I do actively seek out arguments, if not to participate in then to read. And if I'm wrong about something, I want to know.

i don't know or care what your former/current opinions are on anything but just because you were wrong initially, it doesn't mean that what you believed was wrong but your reasoning was flawed and easily picked off by someone else who showed you that you've been believing something for the wrong reasons. you may then have been more easily influenced to believe something completely different to what you previously did which may incidently not be for the correct reasons still as you've not shown your ability to think logically on the situation from the start.

learning to think for yourself is the most important thing. only then can we form our opinions on everything rather than having them changed by someone else.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Yes, thanks to UG I can't think of a moral reason why same-sex incest is wrong. Thanks a lot, internet.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by KTFM
Because you touch yourself at night.

Yeah. Leave your feet alone!
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by durhamdynamo
Yes, thanks to UG I can't think of a moral reason why same-sex incest is wrong. Thanks a lot, internet.

+1

My mind has been changed on other occasions as well.