I'm deciding to go used, for the first time.
There are some nice deals out there. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that if i do so, I might get a really bad guitar (fret buzz, dead pickups) and the thing is that once its done, its done, there's no returns, no exchanges, etc etc...
Is it a good idea to try something used?
I find you get what you pay for. If something seems too good to be true, it tends to be. If you're looking through GumTree or Craig's List then you should be able to try if you're picking up.
Almost all my guitars were bought used off eBay, they've all been fine. So long as you're buying from a seller with a good level of positive feedback, you have nothing to worry about.

Even in the worst case scenario where it isn't as described, you're covered by eBay's buyer protection programme, and if you pay by PayPal you're covered by their protection processes as well.

I've been using eBay for over 10 years, bought & sold literally 1,000s of different things including loads of guitars and only once has there been an issue with the product I received. It was swiftly dealt with and I received a refund from the seller without even having to use the eBay/PayPal protection plans.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I use ebay very frequently, and it's very safe. Sellers have to list exactly what they're selling. If you ask them questions and they don't answer, simply don't buy. If you get satisfactory info, and buy only to find out that it's not what the seller said it was, ebay/paypal will raise hell on the seller. There's really no way to lose, except for ignorance on your part.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spud Spudly
You can get a really bad new guitar too.

Big +1 to this. If anything, I think it's way more likely to get a bad guitar new than used. A used guitar is much more likely to be set up decently and cared for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check feedbacks, and maybe buy from an actual shop who sells second hand guitars. Scams are always out there, today I saw someone with 0 feedbacks trying to sell a MIA Fender Stratocaster for 230€.
I always buy used. You get a lot more guitar for your money.

I have had success with eBay and my local craigslist... and with your local CL, you can try before you buy.
Quote by rebar71
I always buy used. You get a lot more guitar for your money.

I have had success with eBay and my local craigslist... and with your local CL, you can try before you buy.

It's sometimes possible to try before you buy on eBay too, if you're lucky enough to find something local. Most sellers on there would be happy to help.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, you have to take your chances if you're outside the US and not buying from a local shop and/or craigslist. The big benefit of craigslist is you get to try the guitar and inspect it fully before handing over your bucks.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.