It started out as an ugly duckling (it really was an ugly mother****er) and it turned in to a beautiful shred-tastic modern strat.

So, I bought this guitar for a steal a few months back. It played and sounded really nice but looked **** ugly and was in desperate need of hardware polishing and refinishing. The laquer on both neck and body had dings all over, the frets were almost pewter grey and the bridge had grime on it as far as the eye could see. So here is a comprehensive list of mods I did:

-Stripped all laquer, added walnut burl/flame veneer on body and headstock
-Danish oil and wax finish on body and neck, my own special blend and finishing technique
-Had the pickguard and trem plate refinished by the same guy that painted my 8 string guitar. He was inspired by Carbon fiber but came up with his own design which I think looks absolutely incredible.
-Added graphtech nut
-Added graphtech string savers
-Used an incredible polishing compound for all hardware and frets and got a mirror shine on pretty much everything
-Scooped out the heel alá older Jems but the contour is ergonomic; you basically have 4 different points of holding it (after having various people play it to see where I needed to contour some more) in which it is very comfortable instead of just resting your thumb on the back plate
-Added shorter neck screws due to the scoop
-Renewed pickup switch
-Changed bridge humbucker for a Seymour Duncan Fullshred

That's all I can think of for now. The finish worked out really nice; normally with oil finishes you can feel the grain of the wood, with mine you can't. It's actually mirror smoothe, even before I waxed it. The neck also feels lovely and fast instead of sticky as hell. The guitar definetly became more resonant and is among the most resonant guitars I've ever owned, it even beats out my 8 string which has a 1 piece swamp ash body . The single coils sound amazing and are very well balanced, the neck is definetly a lot warmer than the middle and position 4 sounds really nice and twangy while staying warm. The only thing I'm not happy with is the FullShred; it's a bit too much focused on the top end (I knew this would happen) because of the Alder body.

All in all, it was a fun and much faster project than last time. I've noticed some progress from myself when it comes to building and am confident the next guitar will turn out 100% perfect. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

P.S: If any of you would like a comprehensive D.I.Y Veneering guide for guitars let me know, I'll post one if I get enough requests. I found projectguitar.com's way wasn't the best way to go about veneering so maybe this could help some of you guys that are interested in doing it
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
looks... soooooo... nice!

you gonna leave the headstock or get an ibanez decal for it?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
looks... soooooo... nice!

you gonna leave the headstock or get an ibanez decal for it?

Thanks! I will eventually put an Ibanez decal on it with my own decal beneath it that says ''Customized by Davies Craftsmen guitars'' Just waiting on the final logo design now.

Quote by Ola Englund
the top looks amazing. Congrats!

Thanks a lot! I love your guitar playing btw you're a big inspiration.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by JaeSwift

Thanks a lot! I love your guitar playing btw you're a big inspiration.

No way Thanks bro!

BTW how thick are these veneers usually?
Great looking job, sure it plays well too. For some reason reminds me of a guitar I saw Guthrie Govan use somewhere.
Quote by Ola Englund
No way Thanks bro!

BTW how thick are these veneers usually?

This particular one was 1mm. I opted for a veneer because the guitar sounded so good acoustically that I didn't want to add a top and change it's sound. I'm actually in the process of hunting down the exact piece of wood these veneers were cut from because I want to use it for a top on a Korina body as I love the varied figuring in this piece a lot.

As for before pics; here you go:

Forgot to mention I'm still hunting down a similair string guide as for some reason Ibanez decided to only put one on it. The A and G strings are still at too low of an angle for proper sonic transfer which creates an annoying banjo like effect on open strings. Bit of a retarded move on their part but an easy fix non the less.

Also, if anyone ever thought of getting Graphtech saddles before replacing the entire bridge: DO IT! They add an incredible amount of clarity to the sound and resonate really long. I never had a problem with string breakage but I'm fairly certain that with these it will be practically impossible to break them at the bridge.

I also chose to stick with this trem as I don't really use trems that much so vintage ones are perfect for me. I also found out the bridge plate is actually solid brass and it has a bigass steel sustain block on it so I figured there'd be no reason to change it. Next guitar is going to have a Schaller Hannes though.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the oil finish was a bish to do but so worth it in the end. I spent about the same about of time as 6-7 coats of laquer+buffing would take someone due to some added ingredients and a different technique.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Sep 22, 2011,
hmm this makes me want a carbon fiber pickguard... damn you! xD

i like the after pics more! HNGD
nice man thanks for the info... good call on the veneer the natural wood looks to much like a piece of furniture.
looks nice. definitely dig the veneer.

i remember my first refinish was a squier strat, i put a carbon fiber pickguard on it. looks sharp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That is some pretty damn tasty grain on that, verrrry nice indeed. HNGD!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
...good God. If you wake up one morning and your guitar's not there, it wasn't me. At all. *shifty eyes*

HNGD, I love it!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
The before wouldn't look as bad if it weren't for that hideous tortoiseshell pickguard. I absolutely love Claro Walnut (and regular Black Walnut) for both the looks and incredible working properties. Great job on that guitar, it looks a million times better than before
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I want to do this to my Rx60!

Also, that looks like a roller string tree.
I have 2 on my guitar.
They're like $3 on GFS
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
I want to do this to my Rx60!

Also, that looks like a roller string tree.
I have 2 on my guitar.
They're like $3 on GFS

Aye, it looks like one, but isn't it actually has no ''rolling'' to it what so ever. If I can't find one I'll just replace the original one as well. I'll probably stick with Graphtech if I do though; can't get over how amazingly high quality their stuff it.

And once again, to everyone who chimed in, thanks a lot I've decided this to be somewhat of a prototype for if/when I do start Davies Craftsmen guitars.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Also, if anyone ever thought of getting Graphtech saddles before replacing the entire bridge: DO IT! They add an incredible amount of clarity to the sound and resonate really long. I never had a problem with string breakage but I'm fairly certain that with these it will be practically impossible to break them at the bridge.

can't get over how amazingly high quality their stuff it

Kick-ass!