While on school camp in outback Australia a few months ago, I purchased a little beginners electric guitar at Kmart for $40, to help fill the time. I've become pretty attached to it, but the truth is it's a piece of crap.

I don't know what wood the neck or body is made out of. The neck is probably just very cheap pine, the tuners are horrible, the nut is far too high, and frets 1, 2, and 3 are in the wrong places. I roughly measured the scale length, which was around 20".

I'd really like to get this guitar in a situation where I could actually play it. At the moment it goes out of tune in about 3 seconds. The neck pocket is standard Strat size. Say I bought one of these http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1955 (preferably not a Zakk model though), and swapped the neck over, would it work? I'm willing to spend about $200AUD to get this guitar to be playable, even if just in my bed room.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
i don't see why it wouldn't work.

while you're at it, throw some EMG's in there for teh br00talz
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You may want to just try a decent set of tuners first to see if that will help it stay in tune. A small triangular file would make the nut grooves deeper, just keep in mins that material can't be put back in. The neck may actually be maple, but with out seeing it, it's hard to tell.
At the moment it has a lone single coil. I don't even know what it sounds like, because the neck can't do it any justice. I took off the scratch plate a while ago and found that it had a humbucker route. So we'll see what happens there.

By the way, this is a Strat shaped guitar. One pickup, one volume control, fixed bridge (which actually seems pretty solid)
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Quote by SWilson
The neck may actually be maple, but with out seeing it, it's hard to tell.

I'm telling you right now that it's not maple. The neck is way too light, and not as dense as the maple necks of my Tele and old Squier.
Fender MIM Jaguar
I think I have a similar guitar, sunburst super tiny but two singles. I want to remake it as well, but I'm just going to refinish the neck as a tele and such so it'll be a tiny squier 51 kind of thing
you could always build your own.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E