I bought an Ibanez RGA121 a week ago. It was pretty beat up, so I figured I'd refinish it before posting a NGD I sanded all the finish off, removing all dents and scratches in the process. Both on the neck, which had a fugly yellow'ish glossy finish and the body, which was just crackling and scratched all over. Then I gun-stock oiled it all. A very thin and smooth layer on the neck, and a few more layers on the body. Only downside is that the serial on the back of the headstock was removed in the process.

Here are some work in progress shots:

More in next post:
Fugly gloss on neck:

I shouldn't have to tell you how it plays. Beautiful wizard neck, sick sustain, and some great versatile tones with the Dimarzio X2N and SD '59. Sounds and plays amazingly. Gotta love the gibraltar bridge.

Before/After shots:

I would have left it alone. You destroyed it's mojo. And removing the Team J Craft logo...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Looks like some dents of the body? Put some drops of water on there to raise them out. But its sexy man ;D
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Looks like some dents of the body? Put some drops of water on there to raise them out. But its sexy man ;D

No dents! The oil emphasized some of the grain "structures", but everything is SMOOTH I am considering if I want to sand it a bit more down to get a bit more woody look (like the ones in the WIP pics), but I think I like this oily look
Last edited by xFilth at Sep 22, 2011,
preferred before shots...

but ok.

HNGD anyway
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
i like the new thing but i prefered the worn look on the back of th before one and also prefered that neck in visuals, im not going to kill this with the debate gloss vs unfinished because i like both.
Your all wrong.

RGA121 in natural owns the worn violin finish.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Haha, I understand some people prefer the old finish, but for me, I bought this guitar mainly to have a fun project with the finish
You should have at least left the back of the headstock alone. All you had to do to the neck was rub it down with steel wool to get rid of the finish's look and texture.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
you guys are weird, who gives a shit what he did?

There is no other model RGA with the same specs as the 121 so its not like he ruined anything.

If TS is happy and has a great guitar made to look how he likes, why bash him?

I love it TS and good on you!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Metalfan41
You should have at least left the back of the headstock alone. All you had to do to the neck was rub it down with steel wool to get rid of the finish's look and texture.

Can't say I wasn't hesitant about it, but I just wanted to have fun and go all out :P

At least I took pics of it in case I'll ever need it
I liked the old top but dig the new back xD
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The old top was pretty cool, but it had a bunch of semi-deep scratches and dents (that the pictures don't really show too well)
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is very good .well nice
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 22, 2011,
The old top looked hideous, imo. It looks much better now.

And who cares about the Team J Craft logo? It says Prestige on the headstock, and only Prestige comes with a 5 piece neck.
That natural finish brings out some really subtle, but really awesome figuring on the top and neck. I really like the way that guitar looks. Nice job man.
Thanks guys!

I already have new plans for this baby

I really enjoy standing in the workshop and fiddling with guitars and this guitar was mainly bought with that in mind, so I think I'm going to do some more fiddling
Wow, that's an awesome job! I just picked up a used RGA121H today
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
This guitar needs no further finishing except maybe a clear coat to protect it.
Looks awesome, and I'm pretty sure it also plays fantastic.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by PsiGuy60
This guitar needs no further finishing except maybe a clear coat to protect it.

Which is exactly what I'm contemplating. (Only the body, ofc)
Quote by xFilth
Which is exactly what I'm contemplating. (Only the body, ofc)

Great minds think alike.
Also, HNGD.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.