Hi. My question is as follows: When I play a chord progression of D - A - G, how come the key is B? Could anyone explain?

Thanks you very much.
PSN name = Barmanation
You'll probably get better/more responses in Musician Talk, but I'll try to help.

That's not in the key of B at all. Based on the chord progression you gave me, I'd say it's D major, although further context might imply another key. The best way to look at this is to write out which notes are contained within each chord:

D = D, F#, A
A = A, C#, E
G = G, B, D

So, in alphabetical order, the notes are: A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G. There are 2 sharps, C# and F#. According to the circle of fifths (and because you should have key signatures memorized), this is the key signature for D major. D major is:

D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#

Edit: I think you may have been referring to B minor. B minor is the relative minor of D major, but this I - V - IV progression is a typical I major progression. What determines whether it's D major or B minor is what the progression resolves to. In this case, the resolution is to D.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Sep 22, 2011,
Yeah man, just I V IV in D major. It could go to B minor next though...
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
By the way, who told you that it's B?
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by JB95
He probably meant B minor.
B minor = D major.

yes haha this was my problem, i see now. My theory is very bad but i know that much.
Thanks for the reply's guys !
PSN name = Barmanation
Quote by JB95
He probably meant B minor.
B minor = D major.

Well, no, not really.

They share the same notes but they resolve to different tonics. B minor resolves to B minor, not D major. The progression in OP obviously resolves to D major and thus can't be thought of as B minor.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Hey man you should learn the circle of fifths and it will help you a lot

Here it is :

C D E F G A B C

G A B C D E F# G

D E F# G A B C# D

A B C# D E F# G# A

E F# G# A B C# D# E

B C# D# E F# (or Gb) G# A# B

Gb Ab Bb B Db Eb F Gb

Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

F G A Bb EC D E F

C D E F G A B C

If you want to learn more you can visit my article about how to master the circle of fifths and what are the benefits of it

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/music-theory/learn-and-master-the-circle-of-fifths-or-circle-of-fourths/
Quote by apajr
Hey man you should learn the circle of fifths and it will help you a lot

Here it is :

C D E F G A B C

G A B C D E F# G

D E F# G A B C# D

A B C# D E F# G# A

E F# G# A B C# D# E

B C# D# E F# (or Gb) G# A# B

Gb Ab Bb B Db Eb F Gb

Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

F G A Bb EC D E F

C D E F G A B C

If you want to learn more you can visit my article about how to master the circle of fifths and what are the benefits of it

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/music-theory/learn-and-master-the-circle-of-fifths-or-circle-of-fourths/

i am going to check this out, i always refrained of learning theory but i think now should be the time. thanks mate
PSN name = Barmanation
Quote by WantToLearn
i am going to check this out, i always refrained of learning theory but i think now should be the time. thanks mate

No problem mate.

I ignored music theory for a good time and it cost me big time.

You check out other what other articles i have about theory