Title says it all. I want a strat. But I'm more of a Les Paul guy. So I don't know much about strats.

I want one to play Hendrix, Chilli's and classic rock/ blues.

I can go up to about £1200.

Happily buy off the net.

New or second hand I don't care.

I would like a thick neck, maple fretboard, SSS, the rest I don't care.

I don't want to have to upgrade it. I want it to serve me for life.

I want it American made.

I also want it to be Fender.

If you could give me some suggestions/ links, that'd be awesome.
Everyone single person will suggest you a different guitar.

Some of them will agree with other persons without even knowing something about the guitar or having real experience with it.

It's quite useless to ask these kind of questions actually.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I have a LP and a Strat. I use them for different situations, sounds, feels, even depending on the mood I'm in. If you're into RHCP, check out the American Vintage '62 Strat. It's the closest thing you'll find to John's main strat. It also nails Hendrix really well, although he generally used CBS-era strats.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
http://www.fender.com/products/americanspecial/models.php?prodNo=0115602
This one's got the single coils, specifically Texas Specials, which are geared towards a more Bluesy sound. The fretboard's maple, and the neck's about medium thickness. Unfortunately, pretty much all of the SSS strats only come with a "C" shaped neck, which is the standard strat neck, which is gonna be thinner than your les paul's neck. The "U" shaped necks are the thick ones, but they only come on the more expensive, and non-maple Fenders.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitar
Here's another strat with different p-ups and vintage hardware and modern headstock.
I can get flawless Hendrix and RHCP tones with my strat,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-deluxe-lonestar-stratocaster-electric-guitar

I got it used for around 400 ish USD. It's a great guitar, best neck I've ever felt, tbh. Comes with Texas Special pickups and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge.

But since your budget it higher, I'd look into an American Strat with Texas Specials.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by rokrguy93
http://www.fender.com/products/americanspecial/models.php?prodNo=0115602
This one's got the single coils, specifically Texas Specials, which are geared towards a more Bluesy sound. The fretboard's maple, and the neck's about medium thickness. Unfortunately, pretty much all of the SSS strats only come with a "C" shaped neck, which is the standard strat neck, which is gonna be thinner than your les paul's neck. The "U" shaped necks are the thick ones, but they only come on the more expensive, and non-maple Fenders.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitar
Here's another strat with different p-ups and vintage hardware and modern headstock.

My Gibson's a weird one. It's a 2010 Standard Faded. It's very light, pretty thin neck, really flat, open pickups... It's not a typical Les Paul really.

I think I should go to a shop and just try a bunch of different guitars.

And I'm confident my amp will absolutely nail Hendrix. It's designed for that.
If I were you I would look into G&L. Its the real fender. Haha. BUT, if Fender is what you want, I would buy a used custom shop or used American made.
Just go and try out a load of Strats, guitars vary and everyone has their preferences when it comes to feel.
If you have the money get an American Special, Standard or Vintage, I wouldn't recommend the Deluxe series because of the noiseless singlecoils.
However, I'd say just get the guitar that feels right for you, has the features you like, you can always swap the pickups.

I personally also like the Road Worn series, in case it does not have to be strictly an American made guitar. Those things just feel so great.
vintage reissues? assuming you like the vintage-style fenders.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just traded a strat deluxe for a custom shop deluxe, an amazing guitar. just what a strat should be.

if you could stretch the budget a little more (say 50%) then it's well worth it, especially if it's for life as you say.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Every Strat is different, even if they were made next to each other on the production line. Your best bet is to go to a store and try out every Strat in your price range and base what you like upon first hand experience, not random people suggesting the Strat that they happen to own.
hey check out the '69 time machine strat.....looks just like the one hendrix played at woodstock. its got special pickups that were hand wound by abigail ybarra... the same lade who hand wound them for hendrix and clapton.
Thanks guys! Sounds like you know your shit. Appreciated

And to the guy who commented my video Add me
you might want to reevaluate your position on not modding. unless you have a really good idea of exactly what you want out of your strat then you are taking a big risk of not getting what you want. they may all look the same at a glance but they aren't.

do you want a 21 or a 22 fret neck?
do you want a 6 screw trem or the newer 2 point?
what do you want from your pickups?

you might want to consider getting a Strat Plus. they have lace sensor pups, locking tuners and a roller nut for greater tunig stability. thye are no longer made so you'd have to get one used.
K...
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
You don't need 1200 pounds for a strat. They're a lot cheaper than anything Gibson does. I've only got a MiM so I don't think I can really help you out.
Quote by Butt Rayge
You don't need 1200 pounds for a strat. They're a lot cheaper than anything Gibson does. I've only got a MiM so I don't think I can really help you out.

If you want a really good Strat, it will cost you a good amount of money most of the time, it's like with every other guitar.