Hey im having a little problem coming up with clean parts to metal songs. i was wondering if anyone could help or advise me on what i should do. Im trying to create an intro at the moment but i want it to sound diminished or the sound you would get from a harmonic minor. Should i be using harmonic minor chords and daminished chords?

thanks.
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
What you really want to think about is the sound that you want to get from those scales, it's all very well and good saying that you want the sound of the harmonic minor but the harmonic minor is 6/7ths natural minor. Leaning on the inherent diminished sounds in the scale are fine but really only any good if that's the sound you want; it won't sound harmonic minor, it'll just sound diminished. You need to find a careful balance between the two sounds to get what you want.

Another thing to think about though is whether or not your song really needs the intro, it's cool and all to have them but if they're not really needed you'll just make the song sound overly long and drawn out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So basiclly what youre trying to say is, i should think of the riff i want to produce in my head and then try to replicate it on the guitar?
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Quote by Spitty33
So basiclly what youre trying to say is, i should think of the riff i want to produce in my head and then try to replicate it on the guitar?

That's exactly it. You should be doing that all the time, imo.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Spitty33

Yeah, when would you not want to do that?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Spitty33

welcome to music
Quote by Spitty33
Hey im having a little problem coming up with clean parts to metal songs. i was wondering if anyone could help or advise me on what i should do. Im trying to create an intro at the moment but i want it to sound diminished or the sound you would get from a harmonic minor. Should i be using harmonic minor chords and daminished chords?

thanks.

There's yore problem. Those words shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
There's yore problem. Those words shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Iron Maiden and Metallica beg to differ.

and they are the 2 biggest metal bands of all time
Dude, I was joking. I almost thought about saying I was joking, but then that would defeat the point of sarcasm.
Quote by Diamond Dave

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
Dude, I was joking. I almost thought about saying I was joking, but then that would defeat the point of sarcasm.

It's hard to pull off sarcasm over the internet lol

For a second i thought you were a Br00tal n00b
Pick a chord and arpeggiate (is that a word?!) it. Pick a random pattern and just play... Look at Master of Puppets' interlude/bridge section before the solo, that's a pretty obvious clean section in metal. Check out Power Metal in-general, as a lot of PM bands have clean/acoustic intro's in songs. Just get creative!
Quote by mrbabo91
It's hard to pull off sarcasm over the internet lol

For a second i thought you were a Br00tal n00b

Tell me about it ! But nothing irritates me more then losers spelling 'brutal' as Br00tal!!!
Quote by Diamond Dave