I have recently been looking for a new combo amp, and I have been told that I should look for a valve amp as I have heard that they have better tone? (not to start a valve vs solid state argument) I mainly play blues, funk, soft rock and a little bit heavier stuff, I also play alot of acoustic but I wouldnt use the new amp for it often. I would like an effects loop, for my loop pedal, and hopefully it would be under £300.
Willing to go used?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
If I need to, to get a decent amp.
P.S. It would need to be able to do small gigs, and reverb would be nice =D
Last edited by Trobe78 at Sep 22, 2011,
see if you can find a used peavey vypyr 60. its not all valve, but it has a few, and its a great sounding combo amp.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
If you are mainly using an acoustic guitar , than don't buy i tube amp, buy an acoustic guitar amp than ( they are really different).

But if you really want a tube amp , buy one with at least a 10" speaker.
For example: http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v22.htm

or if you don't fancy bugera :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub12r.htm
I would by an acoustic amp, but I'm starting to play electric alot more so I need a decent amp.
the vypyr 60, doesnt have FX loop, but it has a nice optional expansion for a good footswitch with a looper. It has reverb
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I have a decent acoustic amp for not alot of money if your interesed?

Also look out for Laney VC amps.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i don't think that you really need a tube amp
Because at bedroom level they don't sound any better than solidstate or modelling amps.
For small gigs it does not matter becouse the sound guy will screw up your sound anyway.

Say your money, buy a cheaper amp now and if you have about 600-800 pounds you can start looking for a new amp.

For now buy something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb80r.htm
It's cheap not so bad at all, has an effects loop and it is enough for small gigs ( btw your amp will be microphoned anyway
+1 tp laney vc15, or aor 30, maybe a vc50 or tt50 if you can find one on ebay.

Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Because at bedroom level they don't sound any better than solidstate or modelling amps.
For small gigs it does not matter becouse the sound guy will screw up your sound anyway.

Say your money, buy a cheaper amp now and if you have about 600-800 pounds you can start looking for a new amp.

For now buy something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb80r.htm
It's cheap not so bad at all, has an effects loop and it is enough for small gigs ( btw your amp will be microphoned anyway

Ignore this guy hes obviously been smoking some bad crack to reccomend that rebranded oversized heap of junk over the rest of the threads wonderfull advice.
Quote by beckyjc
+1 tp laney vc15, or aor 30, maybe a vc50 or tt50 if you can find one on ebay.

Ignore this guy hes obviously been smoking some bad crack to reccomend that rebranded oversized heap of junk over the rest of the threads wonderfull advice.

I Don't think that i'm talking nonsense.
I just don't see why it is good to spend every penny on an amp that will probably replaced in a year or two

And why it would be a heap of junk?
It has a big sound not that bad tone. i know it's not the best but for the money it's really good.

Anyway a VC 15 costs 350 (at least)
Last edited by Nemui-Kuma at Sep 22, 2011,
weird, i bought my vc30 back in the day for £300...

I also managed to sell if for £300 thanks to laney jacking their prices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Laney-VC15-110-valve-amp-/400236586095?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item5d2ff5a46f

Heres one for £300ish. Goes cheaper if you get used.

Also, Laney Cub 12R!
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 22, 2011,
I just don't see why it is good to spend every penny on an amp that will probably replaced in a year or two

5_5....so why spend all his money on a cheaply manufactured rebranded amp made in a sweat shop from tin foil and tins of beans when he'll just have to replace that 6 months down the line when he grasps what good tone is.

And why it would be a heap of junk?
It has a big sound not that bad tone. i know it's not the best but for the money it's really good.

Quantity =/= quality, just because its big doesnt mean its good, harley benton have a few things i wouldnt mind owning, (like the GA5, or the cheap cab with the V30s) but that isnt one of them. No ive never tried it, but my expectations are far from it being a jazz chorus. Its just a big practice amp.
I would have reccomended the Harley Benton GA5 and an overdrive pedal. But apparently thomann doesn't stock the GA5 anymore.

EDIT: Since it will be your practice amp.

Also, as someone said, take a look at the Laney Cub 10. If it sounds anything like the Cub 8, it's a nice amp.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Sep 22, 2011,
I cannot think of any amp that would suit you better than the VC30. It'll do blues, funk and softer stuff as well as anything you'll find at that price and you'll have enough volume for most gigs. Not dark or tight enough for the brootz really but an EQ and an OD would get you close enough for your needs. You should be able to grab one for £300 if you get looking used.
Also look out for deals on traynor YCV40s, peavey classic 30/50s and fender blues juniors/hot rod deluxes/devilles
Quote by Nemui-Kuma

If you have to resort to "it's not that bad", you're already losing the argument.

And as to the HB, it is bad. Like has been pointed out, HB makes some decent stuff, and a lot of complete rubbish as well. I've got one of their GA15 amps that I got with an upgrade-speaker for 100€. It's ten times the amp that the HB80 is and I got it for cheaper. If you keep your eyes open, you don't have to settle for lacklustre equipment.

So I don't get the point of buying crap gear, unless you're out of options. A VC15 is a great little amp, and even though I own bigger/better amps, I wouldn't mind having one around. It's pretty cool to have something of it's size when you don't feel like lugging around the big amps.
Quote by Nemui-Kuma

gtfo

if you can get up to £400 the traynor ycv50b would be worth a look

if not, the jet city distributor has some deals at the moment on ebay
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tiny terror's are nice
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

laney vc30 - can't really go wrong

i'd be tempted to sell mine for 300 if you were interested, upgraded the speaker to a v30 too..