I wanted to start a thread to address any questions anyone has regarding firewire and its functionality with digital audio.

Ask away!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
cool... I'm looking to buy an audio interface and can't decide between a firewire model and an usb model. The only difference is less channels for usb. Is there a real difference between the two other than the fact that firewire can support more channels?

and thanks!

edit: figured you might be interested in details so, I'm going for either the focusrite saffire pro 6 (which is usb) or a pro 14 (or 24, both firewire)
Last edited by SheKILaDZE at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by lextexrex
Besides more channels, latency is much lower with firewire.

That depends on which version of USB you're using, 2 & 3 are both faster than firewire. As far as I know, USB 3 has yet to be integrated properly, so you probably won't find many interfaces yet with that connectivity.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
That depends on which version of USB you're using, 2 & 3 are both faster than firewire. As far as I know, USB 3 has yet to be integrated properly, so you probably won't find many interfaces yet with that connectivity.

Contentious, USB2 has a higher maximum transfer rate but the overall average transfer rate is lower and it provides less bandwidth. Firewire works as a stream of data whereas USB operates by sending data in chunks, this type of data transfer can mean that USB will not operate as efficiently at lower latencies as well as not having the aforementioned higher bandwidth over an average.

As you say, USB3 isn't really integrated in new audio units so its not really worth discussing yet, same with Apples Thunderport - which I believe is the new Apple improvement on Firewire.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Honestly, I don't get why we need a thread dedicated to Firewire interfaces. I mean, really? There isn't much to know outside of "Plug in to firewire port, ???, Profit"

Quote by Beefmo
same with Apples Thunderport - which I believe is the new Apple improvement on Firewire.

Intel did the Thunderport, came out first on Mac, coming to PC soon
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Honestly, I don't get why we need a thread dedicated to Firewire interfaces. I mean, really? There isn't much to know outside of "Plug in to firewire port, ???, Profit"

There are many hardware-related aspects regarding firewire in the digital audio world. Lots of troubleshooting.

This thread is designed for people to ask questions as they relate to issues they're having in their home setups.

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
There are many hardware-related aspects regarding firewire in the digital audio world. Lots of troubleshooting.

This thread is designed for people to ask questions as they relate to issues they're having in their home setups.

Like what? Buying a firewire interface? Buying a firewire card? Not really an issue nowadays. Basically, any firewire card works. I got mine at Value Village for $2 and it works with my Mackie Onyx 1640. If you're having problems with getting your firewire interface to work with your DAW, you really suck since 99% of the time, setup is Install Drivers, Restart Computer, Start DAW, DAW Sees interrface.

Besides, nobody looks at threads in here. I keep beating this point to death because it happens every day. You can make an official thread, make stickied threads, write the best tutorial ever, do whatever, it doesn't mean people are going to read it. I mean, why do you think there are 20 threads a week on "What interface should I buy?" If 20 people are looking for a new interface, all have similar needs and get the same advice, why are they all making separate threads?

Just saying
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If anyone has any issues in getting their firewire-based machinery running properly or troubleshooting, please don't hesitate to post here.

Cheers!