Hey, y'all. I've been playing guitar for about two years now, and I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in choosing it over the bass. Anyway, I really want to try to pick it up. I'm looking to try to get a ridiculously distorted, warm sludge/drone tone like Weedeater or Eyehategod. I want my low end to be a warm, burbling, lurching monstrosity capable of killing small animals through sheer volume. That said, I don't have much cash at the moment (maybe $350 US?), but I'm totally willing to go used (I live in NYC, so it shouldn't be hard to find anything). I just don't want to waste my money on a terrible beginner's bass and amp that I'll grow out of in a year. I've heard good things about rondomusic's basses, but I'd like to hear what you guys recommend. I'm open to pretty much anything, but I'd prefer something that looks a bit subdued. I hate the way "metal guitars" (B.C. Rich, Schecter, etc.) look. As for amps, I really don't have any idea. I know a lot of the bands whose tone I like use Sunn amps, but they're probably way beyond my budget, I'm guessing.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd rather have a really good amp than a bass, since I could always plug my guitars into it in the meantime. So, the amp is the number one priority right now.

Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of any suitable fuzz/distortion pedals, that would be appreciated, too. I've heard the EHX Big Muff Bass is pretty good for this sort of thing, but I don't really know much about it.
Gear:
Guitars:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Ibanez ART-100 (w/ Bareknuckle pup)
Squier Strat (Bleh)
Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror 15w Head
Blackheart Little Giant 5w Head
Blackheart 1x12 Cab
You could try the Hartke Bass Attack VXL for the more tubey drive sound and for all out fuzz the big muff pi, both are rather cheap.

I really have no clue what basses / amps cost in America so I'll leave that to someone who does
Also, does anyone have any experience with an Acoustic 140 Head? It's from the 70's, apparently, and I found a guy selling one on Craigslist for $140.
Gear:
Guitars:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Ibanez ART-100 (w/ Bareknuckle pup)
Squier Strat (Bleh)
Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror 15w Head
Blackheart Little Giant 5w Head
Blackheart 1x12 Cab
An EHX Bass Big Muff is great for this sort of this thing, with the tone rolled off; however the Russian Big muff sounds ever better with some careful EQ. It has a little more low mids rather than just lows and the highs aren't so "fizzy" as the Bass Big Muff. There's a company in the UK called "Big Knob Pedals" and they will do some perfect stuff for you.

For a bass I'd recommend something with a middle or neck position pickup, a Precision bass being the obvious choice. Squier, Yamaha, Rockbass and Ibanez have decent basses with split coil neck pickups. You could even go for an Epiphone EB3 though they're an acquired taste and the quality control can be a little iffy.

As for amps, you won't get a tube amp on a beginner budget but then again you don't need one with a good fuzz/od pedal. Ashdown, Hartke, Kustom and Laney all do great amps that are easy on the wallet and won't fall apart as soon as you look at them.