I'm in need of new tubes. And i'm not to informed on them I know i've been using ruby el34's(power) and groove 12ax7(pre). I'm open to suggestion. I play in a crust punk band. But play anything. But i'm looking for a dark tone with added gain from the pre amp.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Jj
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Whats the difference between el34 6550 6L6? They all compatible for my jcm 800?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
When did UG get spambots?
^^ Reported

^ A while ago

They are completely different tubes. Different sound, different working voltages.
I don't know if they are compatible with your JCM. Hopefully a tech reads this thread and can give you better answers. Just don't try putting any funky tubes in your amp, if you're not sure.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I know just researching atm. What to know my options.
For power tubes get SED Winged C's if you can afford them. If not JJ tubes are great as well.
Moneys no issue. Tone is what i'm after lol.
contact Doug at www.dougstubes.com

He sold me some JJ's, a Penta Lab 9th Gen and a NOS JAN Phillips 5751. The latter is a great tube for V1 and PI.

SED =C= are great for power tubes. I got mine from www.valvequeen.com

otherwise - get some JJ power tubes or Mullards
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 22, 2011,
For an 800 with price no object then you would be buying SED =C= EL34's and British Mullard 12AX7's (not Russian ones). You can pick up British Mullards on Ebay for between $20 and $50 on a regular basis. For a darker NOS tube look for German RFT 12AX7 (ECC83). If price is really no issue find some Telefunkens. Don't want to hunt down good NOS valves? Then you want JJ ECC83S valves.
If the SED =C= EL34's are too expensive buy JJ's they are only half the price and almost as good.

You'll have to mod the amp to fit 6L6 or 6550, stick with EL34.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

holy crap - do people actually buy those? For amps? For guitar amps?

Fuck! people seriously pay that much...for one tube? ok...so maybe money is an object 200 for a set is good...not for one.
Times like these, I'm happy my ears struggle to keep my own voice in check. At least that's free.
I am a fake mountain.
Those Telefunken ECC803S valves are getting rare and as I said, they are the best valve ever made. Just wanted to show you how extreme it can actually get if price is really no object.
I've given you my actual recommendations.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Those Telefunken ECC803S valves are getting rare and as I said, they are the best valve ever made. Just wanted to show you how extreme it can actually get if price is really no object.
I've given you my actual recommendations.

Well I thank you for your recommendations, but if i'm gonna play as often as I do, then those won't last me more then any other tube would. Lets think cp and something were one tube isn't more then my head lol.
Last edited by drugfreeboy at Sep 23, 2011,
actually tubes like those will last much much longer than anything that is currently produced today. Part of the reason some of these NOS tubes cost so much is because they are rare and will only increase in value.

i'm not saying it is worth $1300 or that you need one just wanted to point that out. That many of the world's military use tubes to run all kinds of equipment and most of those older tubes are made to military spec and designed to survive holocausts etc.

just sayin'

Cathbard can tell you more about it.

That said - JJ's will be fine
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 23, 2011,
I'd say get whatever power tubes you want (I'm not too familiar with EL34s so go with Cath or 311s suggestions) then just buy twice as many preamp tubes as you need, of varying brand and quality. Preamp tubes are all different flavors and what is a great tube in one amp can be horrible in another. I usually spend an hour or two swapping preamp tubes to find a combo I like anytime I change them. Having a variety means you can find the perfect sound. If you buy all one type you're missing out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'd say get whatever power tubes you want (I'm not too familiar with EL34s so go with Cath or 311s suggestions) then just buy twice as many preamp tubes as you need, of varying brand and quality. Preamp tubes are all different flavors and what is a great tube in one amp can be horrible in another. I usually spend an hour or two swapping preamp tubes to find a combo I like anytime I change them. Having a variety means you can find the perfect sound. If you buy all one type you're missing out.

Thanks I didn't know I could swap them out...thought every tube had to be biased. Just the power tubes have to be biased?
biasing power tubes is a luxury, not a necessity. nothing will blow up if you put in new power tubes. that said, some tubes might sound "better" to you if you change the bias.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Shot brings up a good point, especially if the new tubes are matched set/quad. Your amp won't blow up. Shot builds amps and know more about them than I do. However,

Some amps though are Cathode biased and you just plug n play unless you want to mod the amp to be manually biased.

Non Adjustable Fixed bias (like Mesa's and Valvekings) are also plug n play.

Fixed bias amps it is usually recommended by the manufacturer that you manually bias the amp when replacing tubes (or from time to time) and they provide a bias trim pot (a place to do this) and sometimes even test points for a multimeter.

I'm pretty sure the JCM 800 is fixed bias. I'd bias your amp.
Like I said i'm not to keen on tube amp tech/spec lol. I've had this for 4 years and don't know much. Where can I find info on this so I can better my knowledge of tube amps?
www.eurotubes.com has some decent videos

I have a blog in my profile on how to do it for my amp (which happens to be very similar to yours)

I also had a Blog with a bunch of instructive links in it but I just accidently erased it

Also search in www.marshallforum.com

The work itself is not really difficult but it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Honestly, if you are asking these questions then I'd consider paying someone to do it for you. But like Shot said - if you get a matched quad of power tubes specifically for your amp and it sounds good when you put them in - then chances are you will be fine.
Quote by drugfreeboy
Thanks I didn't know I could swap them out...thought every tube had to be biased. Just the power tubes have to be biased?

Yup, preamp tubes are all completely interchangable. See what works. Depending where you put a tube it has a different effect. There's no right answer, and nearly infinite combinations... Which is why I recommend just buying a bunch and playing around.

Power tubes you really just want to get some decent ones, throw them in there, get it biased and forget about.

As for biasing, Shot (ECisBest) is an expert and you'd be lucky if the guy you pay to do it knows as much as he does, and 311 has made himself an honorary expert on biasing when he was learning to do it on his amp... So I'd listen to those guys.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm going to, but i'd like to be able to do it for myself one day.
Quote by tubetime86
311 has made himself an honorary expert

for preamp tubes yeah - you just pop those in and go

here is a little vid i did on changing preamp tubes. don't laugh

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.mp4
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
here is a little vid i did on changing preamp tubes. don't laugh

Sweet. I'll add this to my extensive collection of videos that include screwing in lightbulbs, fastening buttons, and operating zippers
Hi, I'm Peter
Also got a similar thread on marshallforum.com.

Everything points me to jj's.
I don't like JJ. But everybody else does. So I guess it's pretty good
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard