Poll: Should we listen to philosophy major's opinions more than everyone else's?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should we listen to philosophy major's opinions more than everyone else's?
Yes
26 34%
No
50 66%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
Cause I'm boss, I was watching a Harmony Korine (writer of Kids, director of Gummo) interview. He rambled on about a lot of subjects, but eventually, he posed the question of why we value a philosophy major's opinion more than some glue sniffer nobody.

So what do you think? Do you think that people well learned in philosophy are more reliable answering some of life's biggest questions? Or is anyone's opinion just as valid, no matter what their education?

Personally, I think that philosophy is one of the most pretentious fields of study there is, which is a shame because it discourages more people from getting into it.
Philosophers just provide boring books for me to read. That is all.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Yes, someone who's actually familiar with what's historically already been said on a topic, and the different angles from which people have approached it, is more likely to contribute an opinion worth hearing than an everyday guy on the street who's thought about it for 2 seconds. Although they don't have to be philosophy "majors," a lot of great thinkers throughout history have been autodidacts.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Sep 22, 2011,
Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
Welcome to http://www.proxy4biz.com
Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $35
UGG BOOT $50
Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $35
Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $35
T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $16
Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$34
Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$15
New era cap $16
Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18
FREE SHIPPING
http://www.proxy4biz.com

Depends on the field, although I do think that their opinion is something to be valued.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Not simply by virtue of studying philosophy. If they have knowledge/background relevant to a given topic of discourse, sure, but that goes for everyone.
I think philosophy majors can certainly add a few more points then an average joe, but when it comes down to "why do we exist" I don't think anybody's view is more reliable then anothers.

Kind of relevent. Does it annoy anyone else when people who have taken acid/shrooms/other psychedelic drug feel that they have a deeper insight into our existence then those who have not taken the drug? I've taken acid, experienced amazing things, but do not believe I know any more then someone who hasn't done it.
Quote by Dirge Humani
If I wanted to listen to a fake scientist I'd listen to a Homeopathic doctor.

I don't think philosophy tries to be a science.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I don't think philosophy tries to be a science.

why?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
They study how to question and think, so it makes sense to do so. I don't think everyone else is wrong, or that all philosophy majors are right, but I would trust a licensed ____ more than one who does ____ as a hobby if I know nothing else about either.
Fun fact, modern science started out as a branch of philosophy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Depends on the area. Some is bollocks (see: all post-modernism) but generally it is important. You take a lot for granted that was originally proposed by philosophers; habeus corpus, free speech, free enterprise...
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I might get some shit for saying this, but when it comes to Philosophy, the people whose opinions I find the most interesting and persuasive are Mathematicians.
Quote by Meths
Depends on the area. Some is bollocks (see: all post-modernism) but generally it is important. You take a lot for granted that was originally proposed by philosophers; habeus corpus, free speech, free enterprise...

Add the American Constitution to that list too. A fuck load of constitutions actually.

Karl Popper's ideas have been taken in so well by other people, many know his ideas on the philosophy of science without ever hearing his name. And he has had a direct influence on Nobel winning scientists.

So yeah, philosophy's damn cool. We also all take part in philosophy, like it or not.
You live in a democracy because people bothered to philosophize. Now close this shit and put it in the Religion/Philosophy thread. We don't need another one.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SKArface McDank
why?

Because of what ErikLensherr said. The scientific method was proposed by philosophers. Philosophy isn't trying to be science (although many old philosophers were scientists), it just used the scientific method, which is something any rational person would do (philosophy also pertains to most aspects of life in some shape or form).

Also, many philosophers in the past weren't just guys who sat in the middle of the room thinking with their chin on their fist. A lot of them were in fact scientists (as stated), mathematicians, alchemists, politicians, etc.

Quote by The Madcap
I might get some shit for saying this, but when it comes to Philosophy, the people whose opinions I find the most interesting and persuasive are Mathematicians.

Actually, Math and Philosophy majors do the best on Bar exams (I wonder if Pre-Law majors are factored into this). Graduate schools love Philosophy students (idk about Maths). It makes sense, because both are rooted in Logic.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I don't think you should listen to philosophy students more, as most of them are pretentious dbags, but a huge part of philosophy is logic and making sound arguments and criticisms. If a glue sniffing nobody can convince me better than a philosophy student, I'll listen to him.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I will tell you why I can't take average Philosophy majors seriously - because they carry no practical knowledge of other subjects that they HAVE to interface with. Here is something I once overheard two Philosophy majors say while eating my meal at the burger place next to campus:

"I want to send digital information... but beyond the digital realm."

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
My friend wanted to do philosophy, but he pretty much thought it was just people sitting stroking their beards and thinking. Then after 4 years, you get an honours degree.
Quote by darkstar2466
I will tell you why I can't take average Philosophy majors seriously - because they carry no practical knowledge of other subjects that they HAVE to interface with. Here is something I once overheard two Philosophy majors say while eating my meal at the burger place next to campus:

He probably just didn't understand what the digital realm was. Not really his fault.
Quote by captaincrunk
He probably just didn't understand what the digital realm was. Not really his fault.

I see. Casey Anthony probably didn't understand what childcare was. Not really her fault.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Almost sounds like he is referring to nanotechnology.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
They can debate better and construct better arguments and stuff, but I don't give many shits about that.

I'd value them more as debaters, but not necessarily as more reliable opinion-wise.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by VillainousLatin
The first philosopher didn't have anyone teach him how to be a philosopher....

Philosophy majors aren't taught to be philosophers.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Harmony Korine? That bastard directed Trash Humpers. Therefore he can go to hell.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Most everyone here is using the most superficial definition of philosophy possible.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
philosophy is an extremely important subject which unfortunately often gets thrown under the table and passed off as useless.
philosophy has given y'all a hell lot of things. it may not be a 'practical' subject, which is sad because our society puts so much pressure into pragmatism and tangible things, but it is surely an integral part of us as the human kind. and yes, similar to what Plato said, people in charge should know their shit about philosophy and the human condition. so what if someone knows how to operate a chainsaw or advocate for some rich guilty **** while stepping on others? we're not products designed to aid the economy or technology, we're humans and we shouldn't forget that.

and no i'm not a philosophy student.
its all based on conjecture anyways, so no.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Something tells me that a philosophy major would have spent more time thinking about a big question than a glue sniffer.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Do you think that people well learned in philosophy are more reliable answering some of life's biggest questions? Or is anyone's opinion just as valid, no matter what their education?

Philosophers are to be trusted on philosophical questions.

On validity: Opinions need some sort of justification. So you ultimately have to ask whose opinion has better justification. On philosophical questions, it is more probable that someone familiar with philosophy will have a better justified opinion.
To decide which philosopher's opinion to trust you have to get into philosophy yourself. Which is good. Everyone should become a philosopher
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
critical thinking skills

^ that'd be cool, but I think some people are too "stupid" they'd declare it themselves.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes, someone who's actually familiar with what's historically already been said on a topic, and the different angles from which people have approached it, is more likely to contribute an opinion worth hearing than an everyday guy on the street who's thought about it for 2 seconds. Although they don't have to be philosophy "majors," a lot of great thinkers throughout history have been autodidacts.

This.
Quote by SKArface McDank
why?

Rather, why not?

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Page 1 of 2