Hi,
I'm a guitar-player attempting to move to bass (a mate asked me to play in his band). Having only picked up basses in music shop and when my old bass players allowed me to, I was thinking that maybe get a short scale bass like the new squier jag one - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-short-scale

Are SS basses easier for us who are used to 6 strings and short necks?
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Its all personal preference. A full 34" scale bass isn't any harder to learn on. Go to a shop and try out as many basses as you can, and see if you're more comfortable on a 30" or 34" scale neck.

Although if you are going to go short scale, those new SS Squier Jags are supposed to be great.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I recommend those basses to the beginner bass students I have with small hands. I like them a lot for the price but would never play one happily. As a guitarist who switched to bass I never found a problem with 34" scale and now I actually prefer it to short scales. Really it's all preference but I say try that bass and also try these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass/519638000215000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/4-string-electric-bass#fT=2010:Squier&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=bS&lP=c&catId=site1BAJ
but they may be a little out of your price range.

What are you going to do about an amp?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by will42
I recommend those basses to the beginner bass students I have with small hands. I like them a lot for the price but would never play one happily. As a guitarist who switched to bass I never found a problem with 34" scale and now I actually prefer it to short scales. Really it's all preference but I say try that bass and also try these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass/519638000215000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/4-string-electric-bass#fT=2010:Squier&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=bS&lP=c&catId=site1BAJ
but they may be a little out of your price range.

What are you going to do about an amp?

I do have smallish hands lol but I'll head down the guitar center at the weekend and try some 334" and see how they feel.

Ampwise I'll probably pick up a DI box like the MXR one and play through the pa at gigs. My friend already has a marshall bass amp for practice.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
I do have smallish hands lol but I'll head down the guitar center at the weekend and try some 334" and see how they feel.

Ampwise I'll probably pick up a DI box like the MXR one and play through the pa at gigs. My friend already has a marshall bass amp for practice.

I hope that the PA systems you play with at gigs have monitor wedges. One of the few reasons why it pays off to have a gigging bass amp is being able to monitor your own on-stage sound.

I'm not saying that going completely DI is a bad thing; it's not if the venue has a decent PA. It just might behoove you in the future to look for a gigging amp if you're going to play bass and gig regularly.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I own a P bass 34", mustang 30"? a telecaster 25.5 and a duo sonic that's 22.5" and I am 6 foot and they all work for me
I love shortscale basses. I'm not a super tall dude, but i'm not that short.

I don't think player size is really indicative of what size bass you should be playing... just search youtube and you'll see little kids shredding on a 34" bass.

If anything, i'd suggest a 34" if you play guitar. It's easier to get muscle memory going if the hand possitions are MORE different, so that there's no weird muscle-memory overlap.

But yes, i love shortscales. I may be in the huge minority, but i'm not a fan of the Squier ss Jag at ALL. The body and neck are good enough, but the pickups (especially the J pup) are atrocious. It IS, however, a good platform for modding...

Anyways here's a quick list of what i'd reccomend on the sub-$400, buyable new, 30" side of things...

If you do not/can not do any mods, and want to gig right away:
-Squier VM Mustang
-Gretsch G2202
-Danelectro Dead-on Longhorn
-Danelectro '56 single cutaway
-SX Jaguar

If you ARE into doing mods:
-Squier Bronco
-Squier VM ss Jaguar
-SX Jaguar

...because it's in 2 places, i HIGHLY reccomend the SX ss Jaguar. I am in LOVE with mine. It's totally gigable out of the box, actual Alder body, blocked neck, AMAZING Candy Apple Red finish with good quality Tort guard, the Ursa headstock actually looks good with the Jag body... and it uses standard J pups (that DON'T suck) making a pup-sway easy to do after the fact. Mine was $150 shipped, and Kurt, the Rondo distributor, is an awesome dude and will help you out if you get a borked one shipped to ya.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."