Page 1 of 2
As the thread says: does drop tuning require less skill or its just the same? My band mate keeps saying that it sucks because it leads nowhere and a guitar player does not improve while playing drop

I don't really know what to think about it. To me drop tuning sounds heavier no matter what, Cstd can't even compete against drop C, and same thing about B which is the main reason I'm still playing on a 6 string rather than 7. I really like the sound of drop tuning but I'd like to improve with time you know, and perhaps it's not the best idea to play in drop C/B all the time?:S
i think your friend means that if you spend the entire time in drop tunings you end up playing chugga chugga powerchords over and over and you wont learn a thing about chord structure, scales and so on.

by the way i agree with all the above
In a short answer: No, your bandmate has no idea what he's talking about. Guitar playing doesn't all of a sudden change when you change tunings.
I actually think, you tend to not to use your lowest string while soloing when you're playing a drop tuned guitar.
Yea, for rythm, drop tuned guitars sound better, but I think , everyone can sound heavy with a drop tuned guitar, so it is way more challening to sound heavy with a guitar in standard tuning (or variations of it).
Lol, what. No. However if you want to hear how you can get with standard E tuning, listen to some Dillinger Escape Plan.
If a guitarist is stuck in a 'chugga-chugga' rut, then the fault is with them for not crawling out, and not that of the tuning.

Anyone who thinks that drop-tuning fosters ill creativity is retarded.
Saints walk the earth
They don't patrol the skies
They're the people right behind you
Riding tandem through the night
It's the comfort that's discovered
Through two sets of eyes
It's the hand that stills the other
That shakes like candlelight
I like it because I can do intervals that I otherwise couldn't reach. Used improperly it can promote laziness but used like any other non-standard tuning, it can open up a lot of options.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
No, just no. You wont be worse for playing in drop tuning, neither will you be better.

If drop tuning is required for the music you play and you want to play it, do so.
I don't think bands that play in standard did choose to do so cause it was harder, i think it was cause they liked the sound and wanted to play it. Same with drop.

I play drop tunings, that dosent make me worse of an guitar player.
I mean for godness sake look at bands that play somewhat technical stuff, there are many in drop tunings. Children of bodom, In flames, some Dream theater, Lamb of god, Pantera (once again some songs) and many more.

Just because powerchords are easier to play in drop dosent its easy. I rarely play normal power chord stuff anyway.
your bandmate is talking nonsense.

Tune your guitar to standard, in tritones or drop - it doesnt metter, process of playing doesnt change, it just shifts your lowers string, not a deal braker in terms creativity.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
i really dont see why so many people worship dropped tunings, i personally cant stand anything lower than Eb standard.
i dont get what is so cool about playing in drop F/G/A/B/C, if you want to sound "heavy" go buy a bass while you are at it...

@GrStMyGn: how nice of you, insulting me because i have a different opinion
Personally I think the best way to improve is to make sure your tuning is as awkward as possible.

Drop Tuning = Easy mode
Standard = Medium
E F A Bb G G = Hard

And because someone will take it seriously...

/sarcasm
Quote by Freepower
Personally I think the best way to improve is to make sure your tuning is as awkward as possible.

Drop Tuning = Easy mode
Standard = Medium
E F A Bb G G = Hard

And because someone will take it seriously...

/sarcasm

Just looking at that makes me think Chords would be a biatch in the tuning I bolded out!

Drop tuning doesnt make you less of a player, I frequently change tunes around. The benefit to drop tuning is single finger power chords, in Drop D you can get the D5 power chord and shift it all over your fingerboard with one finger. Sounds like your band mate needs to bone up on alternate tunings and there uses.
That's like saying "hey that guy is playing single notes, he sucks" since drop-tuned power chords are basically like playing single notes. Plus, I don't see the point in trying to make things more difficult unless he wants to brag about how technical his songs are.
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Sep 22, 2011,
Your friend is showing their extreme insecurity in their inability to write music for guitar in any alternate tuning.

You should show your friend compassion and console them that it's okay. They will get better at it.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Actually, in drop tunings, there is less tension on the strings(excluding drop D), so you can play a little faster. But that goes for all detuning, not just drop tuning. It doesn't require less skill and It definitely doesn't stop you from improving. So trying to find truth to yore friends statement is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. With the exception that the needle isn't in the haystack.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by tappooh
i think your friend means that if you spend the entire time in drop tunings you end up playing chugga chugga powerchords over and over and you wont learn a thing about chord structure, scales and so on.

by the way i agree with all the above

Because apparently there is no such thing as scales or chord progressions in drop tuning???? Am I missing something?
Open D minor > Drop D
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by tappooh
i really dont see why so many people worship dropped tunings, i personally cant stand anything lower than Eb standard.
i dont get what is so cool about playing in drop F/G/A/B/C, if you want to sound "heavy" go buy a bass while you are at it...

@GrStMyGn: how nice of you, insulting me because i have a different opinion

Basses have a different tonal frequency. If you want the higher frequency of a guitar, why don't you buy a Violin?

And I learned MORE about chord structure and progression construction from dropped and altered tunings, because the new intervals meant I had to work to understand the intervals themselves. I think people who say that standard helps foster a strong foundation in those kinds of things are just stuck in shapes.
Saints walk the earth
They don't patrol the skies
They're the people right behind you
Riding tandem through the night
It's the comfort that's discovered
Through two sets of eyes
It's the hand that stills the other
That shakes like candlelight
Ask your band mate to learn to play A Rite of Passage by Dream Theater in drop D. Tell us how it goes.

Seriously though, unless we're talking about a guy just playing power chords on the last 3 strings, I call BS.
different tunings for different applications and atmospheres.

A song is C standard doesn't sound the same in E standard.

Now for actually using a drop tuning (Drop C, Drop D), there are certain things that are more convenient to play in a drop tuning that may be near impossible to play in standard, or vise versa.

I seriously HATE when people are elitist about guitar tunings. It's ridiculous.
Quote by MvAgusta

To me drop tuning sounds heavier no matter what, Cstd can't even compete against drop C, and same thing about B which is the main reason I'm still playing on a 6 string rather than 7.

I don't agree with that, Cstd can sound heavier than drop C; everything is tuned down instead of just the low E string, lol.

But anyway, I look at it this way - you get different tones depending on how your guitar is tuned. D standard is what I use; I prefer the tone and response I get from standard tuning as opposed to drop tunings. But occasionally I'll tune to drop C for certain stuff. I like C standard as well, but that requires a bigger set of strings.

I have a theory that the different tunings react with your amp in different ways - none are 'better' or 'worse' than each other, but ways to achieve a variety of tones.

And honestly, the only thing easier about dropped-tunings is the one-finger power chords, which is negligable to an experienced guitarist. Regular power chords in standard are quite easy...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If honestly think that it depends on your knowledge on music theory.

I have been playing in drop tuning most of my time, and i will say that it opens new possibilities for chord structure and stuff like that.

It is better for metal, that's where it started from but besides being unable to play the classic open position chords, i don't see any beig disadvantage.

It also forces you to practice scales and sweeps on 5 strings which is not necessarily a bad idea.

Because Solos and lead parts are mostly done on the thinner strings.

And 5 string sweeps are the most used, you can do whatever you want but try to focus on theory and apply it to whatever tuning you want and see what works for you.
Drop tuning doesn't hold you back.

Not knowing music theory holds you back.

If you would learn how chords are built and how to lead them you would realize that some of the best chord voicings are not playable in drop, but some new, interesting ones are. But if all you ever do is argue with your friends about what tuning is "like totally brutal-er dude," then it doesn't matter how you tune your guitar because your music will never be interesting.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
People who use drop tuning as an excuse not to learn to play power chords in the more conventional way (index, ring and possibly pinky) are holding themselves back but there is nothing inherently wrong with the tuning. Note: I'm not saying that the one finger power chords are bad, just that you ought to be able to play them the other way too.
The point of any tuning is to make certain things easier to play; you don't get any points for making life harder than it has to be. Standard tuning is good for certain things, drop tunings are good for others. Also, when choosing a tuning for writing your own songs, it's often important to consider the vocalist's range and tune to something that compliments that.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I think drop tunings facilitate lazy playing. That doesn't mean that everyone who uses them is lazy, or that they hold you back. They just make it really really easy to do one thing ... and so there are a lot of guitarists who end up doing nothing but that one thing.

Drop tunings generally make chord shapes other than power chords harder. This can be good for you if you figure out how to use them anyway (or if, as someone else said, switching between tunings gets you to think in terms of intervals rather than scales) but for many guitarists it means that they don't move beyond them. So if you want to use drop tunings and not be held back by them, the solution is simple:

Make yourself not rely on power chords.

And you'll be fine.
Drop tunings dont take any less guitar skill to play in. Look at adam jones of tool who, altho he may not be the biggest solo-er in music, writes solid and beautiful songs all in drop d. IGNORANT. tht s the only word for it. challenge your buddy to try playing in drop d or drop c#
Quote by Freepower
^ challenge him to play this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZf655y29MQ&feature=related

Drop tuning has turned this good player into a herp derp retard.

Oh my god, this guy too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=572wB3YS3xg

IT'S SPREADING LIKE A VIRUS!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
all drop tuning does is bring r low e down 3 semitones and make for more use of different scales
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Actually, in drop tunings, there is less tension on the strings(excluding drop D), so you can play a little faster. But that goes for all detuning, not just drop tuning. It doesn't require less skill and It definitely doesn't stop you from improving.
If drop tuning is required for the music you play and you want to play it, do so.
I don't think bands that play in standard did choose to do so cause it was harder, i think it was cause they liked the sound and wanted to play it.
A guitar tuning is just like a color for a painter. If there is a certain tuning that conveys best what you want to say artistically - use it.
Quote by DerkStiepelmann
A guitar tuning is just like a color for a painter. If there is a certain tuning that conveys best what you want to say artistically - use it.

this ends all discussion on this subject
Check out Machine Head's guitar solos.They play in drop B and go from heavy chug riffs and thrash,then go to super shreddy solos.

Just sayin,they show you what you can do with drop tunings.
i think that only applies if you limit yourself to barring the E and A string for power chords - although i agree you can play some nice heavy stuff like that. As long as you don't rely on it, you should be fine. I like the ease of 9th chords in drop tunings too - they can add alot of color
Page 1 of 2