Hi all. I am a new guitar player in a band and we plan to play live. I have a little Line 6 amp that has presets for certain sounds (Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane). I recently went to a studio to practice and could not get the heavy metal distortion out of the amp. I was wondering how people get heavy distortion to play metal at clubs without bring their own amp. Do you have to buy a cabinet head and bring that with you and plug into the PA system? Do clubs usually have their own guitar cabinet that you just use when you play there? If so, it is better to just buy a distortion pedal and bring that with you when you play live to eliminate any need to mess around with the club gear?

This is a new world to me so any guidance in navigating it is greatly appreciated.

thx
It really depends on what kind of amp you end up plugging into. If the house equipment is a 100W Marshall Tube amp and a 1960 cab then your going to have to crank the gain to get the distortion. If its a Fender Frontman 15 your going to need to bring your own amp or pedal board. If your playing through a PA you will need either a supplied amp, your own amp and then MIC's to run it into the system. Each location is different so call ahead and find out what house equipment they have and bring whatever you need they dont. Essentially you will want to travel with all your own equipment as you gather it up to create your sound that way its always the same from show to show. Good Luck and happy strumming man!
Quote by ne14t
It really depends on what kind of amp you end up plugging into. If the house equipment is a 100W Marshall Tube amp and a 1960 cab then your going to have to crank the gain to get the distortion. If its a Fender Frontman 15 your going to need to bring your own amp or pedal board. If your playing through a PA you will need either a supplied amp, your own amp and then MIC's to run it into the system. Each location is different so call ahead and find out what house equipment they have and bring whatever you need they dont. Essentially you will want to travel with all your own equipment as you gather it up to create your sound that way its always the same from show to show. Good Luck and happy strumming man!

So it is cool to use my own amp? The presets are a push of the button and seems like it would be easiest to just plug my amp into the house system or travel with a really good pedal.
You'd probably want to look into a Pod HD or Boss Gt series if you're looking for something to just plug straight into the PA of a club.

Or if you've got the money look into the Axe fx.

Also, I'd like to add that I've never played anywhere that had an amp for bands to use,
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab