Good Afternoon (or evening, for the Europeans amongst us), Pit.

It would appear that Einstein was wrong. Light is not the fastest thing in the universe. But don't take my word for it, read for yourselves.
Quote by Article
"We have high confidence in our results. We have checked and rechecked for anything that could have distorted our measurements but we found nothing," he said. "We now want colleagues to check them independently."

If confirmed, the discovery would undermine Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity, which says that the speed of light is a "cosmic constant" and that nothing in the universe can travel faster.

That assertion, which has withstood over a century of testing, is one of the key elements of the so-called Standard Model of physics, which attempts to describe the way the universe and everything in it works.

The totally unexpected finding emerged from research by a physicists working on an experiment dubbed OPERA run jointly by the CERN particle research center near Geneva and the Gran Sasso Laboratory in central Italy.

A total of 15,000 beams of neutrinos -- tiny particles that pervade the cosmos -- were fired over a period of 3 years from CERN toward Gran Sasso 730 (500 miles) km away, where they were picked up by giant detectors.

Light would have covered the distance in around 2.4 thousandths of a second, but the neutrinos took 60 nanoseconds -- or 60 billionths of a second -- less than light beams would have taken.

"It is a tiny difference," said Ereditato, who also works at Berne University in Switzerland, "but conceptually it is incredibly important. The finding is so startling that, for the moment, everybody should be very prudent."

Ereditato declined to speculate on what it might mean if other physicists, who will be officially informed of the discovery at a meeting in CERN on Friday, found that OPERA's measurements were correct.

"I just don't want to think of the implications," he told Reuters. "We are scientists and work with what we know."

Source

As you may or may not know, faster-than-light travel theoretically allows for time travel, as long as making interstellar flight an actually feasible possibility in the far future. The very fact that this has happened at all is quite a game-changer for physics. Discuss.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Come on bro, read the first page.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I knew about this ten minutes ago.

(Not time travel, I swear)

<.<

>.>
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It's been known for a long time that Einstein was wrong about the speed of light being the fast possible thing.

The speed of dark is known to be faster. It has to be, otherwise it wouldn't be quick enough to see light coming and get out of it's way.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hang on, hang on. We've known about neutrino's being faster than light for ages now, this isn't new. They still don't exceed the TRUE speed of light in a vacuum, which IS a constant. The speed of light through other media is regularly observed to change. In fact, we've been using this for years - Supernova detectors look for bursts of neutrinos before the light since they arrive before the light rays do - The light rays slow down when they interact as they pass through the clouds of gas and dust in their path, the neutrinos don't.
Quote by GaryBillington
It's been known for a long time that Einstein was wrong about the speed of light being the fast possible thing.

The speed of dark is known to be faster. It has to be, otherwise it wouldn't be quick enough to see light coming and get out of it's way.

My IQ just dropped.
Quote by LordBishek
Hang on, hang on. We've known about neutrino's being faster than light for ages now, this isn't new. They still don't exceed the TRUE speed of light in a vacuum, which IS a constant. The speed of light through other media is regularly observed to change. In fact, we've been using this for years - Supernova detectors look for bursts of neutrinos before the light since they arrive before the light rays do - The light rays slow down when they interact as they pass through the clouds of gas and dust in their path, the neutrinos don't.

I think what they are saying is that there was nothing obstructing the light in a way that it should have acted like this, or to such a degree.

Your right though, I'm holding my breath until they get their information cross-checked.