Basically not too long ago a few of my friends asked me to join their band (that had been playing casually for about a year) as they needed a guitarist to play our schools battle of the bands, I've been playing for about 2 years now and thought it was about time i started playing in a band so i accepted. The drummer has been playing for about 3 or 4 years and the bassist has been playing for 2 but also has been learning the piano for around 14 years so he had an amazing grasp of music already and has written all the songs.
During the first practice we were just trying to get the first 'intro' song done, I could play the riff no problems but when it came to the solo I was ridiculously out of sync with the drummer and bassist. I decided that I would just go home and spend all my time trying to correct my problem and just assumed it was natural and I was just getting used to playing in a completely different situation (with a full band) to at home on my own. To my ears I got the song in perfect time with a recording of the drummer so I was ready for the next practice, unfortunately playing with the drummer was not what I was meant to be doing for the solo and in fact the solo was played completely different and i just couldn't understand how it was done (the drummer described it as 'the we are just backing you up, playing a completely different part to you')
At this point I was starting to get concerned, this wasn't just me getting used to playing with a drummer any more it was me who had the problem. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the other songs playing perfectly with the drummer and bassist in time for battle of the bands. This sucks because the other guys genuinely think we will be ready for it but i know that I'm not going to ready (its on the 6th of October)
I find it seriously concerning that I'm the only one who doesn't believe this can be done in just 2 and a half weeks.
Has anyone else here had a similar experience or am i just cursed with an absolute shite sense of rhythm?
Sorry for the massive wall of text but I'm kinda panicking over this, it genuinely feels like I'm nothing more than a bedroom guitarist
Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong section ts been a while since I've been on here
I'm not reading that, it made my head hurt.

Short answer, maybe.
you need to practice more to a drum track.

and you should probably dumb down the songs a little.

in this type of situation,
less is more until you get your timing down.

also, when you write like that on a forum,
it looks like a wall of text and is really hard to read.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by W4RP1G

Short answer, maybe.

I am sorry for the massive wall of text but it's best for the situation to be explained, I guess for those who don't want to read it all I basically can't play with a full band and I'm failing hugely to meet a deadline for learning songs other people think should be easy
Less is more and just keep jamming out with them, it will click eventually.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tedis1111
I am sorry for the massive wall of text but it's best for the situation to be explained, I guess for those who don't want to read it all I basically can't play with a full band and I'm failing hugely to meet a deadline for learning songs other people think should be easy

it really doesnt matter if other people think it's easy.

example,
i find singing and playing easy.

doesnt mean it is.

just do the songs in time, in key, in tune and
dont over reach.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Tedis1111

Oh. Well, some people just don't have it with playing an instrument. That doesn't mean you're hopeless, just that you might need to practice for a while longer until things just come to you.

Always play with a metronome. Always.
Sounds like you need to do more theory with rhythm and time signatures. Just try counting the beats in your head or even tapping your foot. It will help your phrasing a lot.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Thanks for all the replies so far, after some time with one of the solos I was hitting the notes and locked in with the drummer but I dot understand how that was wrong, I was playing notes in the bar and that's how I understand it
Ah ya the usual timing problems. I used to get this all the time when I was jamming with the guys.

I think you're jumping too quickly into it, first you need to get your rhythm with the rest of the band. Try some free jams, and just get a feel for each other, then go back to the song.

Playing with a metronome is no substitute for a real drummer.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by W4RP1G

Short answer, maybe.

Forget that,

chances are your playing slughtly faster/slower than the CD, just try and make sure if your playing covers, for now at least, you get the important bits right and then just keep the feel similar to the original.

If your playing Mathprogdeathshred-core then just keep playing as a band.

Playing to CDs is not like playing in a band, you need hours of practice to get tight and click together properly.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Alucard817
Ah ya the usual timing problems. I used to get this all the time when I was jamming with the guys.

I think you're jumping too quickly into it, first you need to get your rhythm with the rest of the band. Try some free jams, and just get a feel for each other, then go back to the song.

Playing with a metronome is no substitute for a real drummer.

I think this is a good idea but they gave me 2 and a half weeks to learn a 30 min set which I am convinced after a week I won't be able to do
whats the set list?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
My advice would be to keep playing! You should relax and go with it, if you keep stressing about it you will keep adding more unneccessary pressure on yourself.
Play all the songs of the set all the way through, if you make a mistake stop, enter the song again from a place you know, the band should be able to continue with out you. Note which songs and parts you struggle with and go back to them after playing the set through and work on those troublesome parts.
If this is your first band take it easy on yourself, this is just a learning curve and if you guys practice regularly enough and focus on the parts that you struggle with you should be able to nail in two weeks time.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Quote by Tom 1.0
whats the set list?

The songs are all originals written by the bassist other than one cover of hysteria by muse
so its Muse sort of stuff?

What kind of thing are we talking about here?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i've never been in a band, though i have played with one or two friends (none a drummer or bassist, though) and all i can say is that practice makes perfect.
Have you ever practiced a song with the actual song playing? Like playing along the song? I suggest you do that if you aren't already doing it when you practice.

2 weeks isn't that much but it's doable. We played a medley of a couple songs from the beatles and had about that. Get ready for a lot of practice. Like more then 10 hours per week or so. The best thing to do for a show is to be ready really early like a month before it. The way I see it is the show won't be as good if you only "know" the songs. You have to "master" them. Then you can be really comfortable and move around, etc...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by Tom 1.0
so its Muse sort of stuff?

What kind of thing are we talking about here?

Pretty generic kinda one guitar one bassists drummer and singer rock/metal. Sort of iron maidan or metallica esque. Power chord riff into a fast solo WIth a few more complex bridges thrown in
ok well if they are originals the corwd wont know if oyu play the wrong notes...?

Just try and relax, get as much practice in as you can and do your best, you dont have to be note for note perfect, as long as you can pull off the songs convincingly you will be fine.

it could be worse, i got into a band off a few KSE and Slayer songs to find the setlist looked more like a BTBAM gig, needless to say I left ( kicked out ) after about 10 mins!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
ok well if they are originals the corwd wont know if oyu play the wrong notes...?

Just try and relax, get as much practice in as you can and do your best, you dont have to be note for note perfect, as long as you can pull off the songs convincingly you will be fine.

it could be worse, i got into a band off a few KSE and Slayer songs to find the setlist looked more like a BTBAM gig, needless to say I left ( kicked out ) after about 10 mins!

It's not so much the notes that worry is making so I don't sound like a mess playing in front of a drummer, I guess I'll just have to brake out the metronome and tell them it's a big ask :/
Cheers for the help man, seriously
Well, since they are original try dumbing the guitar parts down if you're sure you cant make it in 2 weeks. I mean, just make it simpler so you can keep in time with the drummer. If it was a cover then it would be harder but originals (as long as those songs aren't very famous) can be easily changed and the audience won't know much,if any, difference.

Not sure if this will help but maybe ask your drummer to record his part for one of the songs and try practicing along to that. The best thing you could do is probably dumb the songs down and practice them. Plus for solos, use hammer ons and pull offs if you can. Then it requires less of your attention and you can plan and check what the drummer is playing and be confident for after the solo.

That happens to me alot, right after the solo I can't play the main riff in time with the song. Not sure if its the same for you but seriously, hammer ons and pull offs really help simplify a solo, therefore you can concentrate on the drummer and keep in time
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Tedis1111
It's not so much the notes that worry is making so I don't sound like a mess playing in front of a drummer, I guess I'll just have to brake out the metronome and tell them it's a big ask :/

I would just try to relax, its your first time right?

Trust me, it will be over before you even begin to enjoy yourself

but it gets better the more you gig and the more you guys practice, I promise, the easier you will find things.

I would see if you can get a recording of the drums to play along to, much better than a metronome imo

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
you seem more squared away now, but let me also ask...

is your amp making the situation worse?
and can you hear yourself ok?

sometimes an amp sounds fine at "normal" practice volumes.

but when pressed louder to compete with a drummer, bass...
the notes can get lost in the mix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you seem more squared away now, but let me also ask...

is your amp making the situation worse?
and can you hear yourself ok?

sometimes an amp sounds fine at "normal" practice volumes.

but when pressed louder to compete with a drummer, bass...
the notes can get lost in the mix.

I could try cranking the amp at practice, thanks for the tip
Quote by Tedis1111
I could try cranking the amp at practice, thanks for the tip

i guess.

but what i mean, is that some amps might not sound as good when cranked.

and maybe you have been cranking it because of the drums,
and that's leading to other clarity issues.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think you should work with the drummer/song writer one on one to try to figure out the solos, or if that proves to be too much simplify them.

Two weeks isn't a whole lot of time to learn original songs with complex solos and bridges. I think it would be benificial to simplify the guitar parts in the short term.

Once you've played together for a few months, and establish some chemistry as a band, then you'll be able to work together to get the more complex stuff down.

Good luck,
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by Tedis1111

It seems you're taking it serious. I like that.

Good luck to you, sir!
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
You need to talk to them about your concerns so as a band you can help each other get ready. I was the least skilled member of my first band when I joined and had a lot of the same problems it seems like you're having. There is no substitute for playing songs over and over with each other.

Have fun with it. If it takes fifty times through something to get it right it will be worth it when you nail it at the gig.
I would love to have time to go over it 50 times but we only 3 hours as a band to practice