Hi all, I have decided that I would like to start recording my guitar at home. However, I really have no idea where to start.

I would like something that I could hook my amp into, record, and send the track to my computer so that I can use it on Reaper, or Audacity, or something similar. I would like it to be at least somewhat simple, and not a huge cost.

Can anyone help me out or give me any suggestions on where I should start with recording hardware or what not?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Well. CAN you connect your amp with your pc? (Phones/Usb Out)
Amp>Line In> reaper.

If not, you've got to buy an Audio Interface and record with that thing.
Either with the guitar>audio interface>reaper>VST/+Impulses
or with a mic like the shure sm57>audio interface>pc>reaper
No I can not connect my amp to my computer. I was wondering if there is any type of recording equipment that can do that. I like the sound of my 6505+, so I would like to do recording with that. However, I am assuming that the only way to achieve this would be to mic it? If that is the case, what are some reasonably priced audio interfaces that I can achieve this with?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
to start off, get a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Reaper. Get a USB interface. (i have heard good things about the tascam us-144 mkII). get a sm57 (you can get a different mic but the sm57 is preferred by alot of people) (you can also run multiple mics like a condenser mic and a sm57 or other combinations)

to record directly with the amp, your amp would need a balanced line out jack on the back of the amp, you would also have to run it through the usb interface and use impulses to simulate a mic'd cabinet (voxengo boogex is free and popular, or recabinet is good but costs some money), the raw pre amp signal will sound like trash without a cab sim.

if i'm not mistaken the peavey 6505+ has a pre amp out jack, that should work for direct recording to a usb interface, you would still need to keep your head plugged into a cab to not damage it, but you wont need to turn the volume up at all on the head because the pre amp out will bypass the the power section.
Last edited by ampoverload at Sep 22, 2011,
Thanks for all the help. I was looking at the tascam us144, looks pretty reasonably priced.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
What do you think would sound the best? Recording with mic or recording from amp into the interface and using impulses?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
The JCM900 should have an emulated line out in the back, too, so you don't have to spend $ on a mic and boom right away.

I'm assuming that's an XLR out like my JVM--that's what the pics look like. I run mine through a 16 channel TASCAM USB mixer (bought for $150 when it was discontinued), but you might even be able to get an adapter to go from XLR to 1/8"mono and plug it right into the line in on your sound card/laptop. As the term "line out" goes, it should be line level like your sound card can deal with, not instrument level like if you tried to plug in the guitar direct. Careful, though. Some stereo line-ins don't like mono plugs and there's a small risk of F'ing something up. Also a good XLR to USB interface will have better analog to digital converters than most sound cards.

And it's a good idea to leave the cab plugged in just in case someone turns on the standby switch, but if the JCM is like the JVM, you can keep it on standby and it'll put out a fixed volume from the pre-amp--it will ignore the master volume control. Of course, you can also flip the standby switch to on and use your cab to monitor what you're playing, too.
Oops, just realized it's a 900 cab, not head. Don't know if the 6505+ works like the JVM or not.
Also, I noticed that the tascam has a headphones jack. Is it possible to use the headphone jack to listen to my amp, kind of like a way to practice playing without having to turn my amp up?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by cbehrendt
Also, I noticed that the tascam has a headphones jack. Is it possible to use the headphone jack to listen to my amp, kind of like a way to practice playing without having to turn my amp up?

yep.

for the best recordings i like using a mic, but the direct head signal with a good impulse ca sound pretty damn good when tweaked enough.

here is just how perfect a Peavey 6505 can sound with just a SM57 mic'd up and in a mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI

here is it without the mix with a mic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXIh-Qqnh8&feature=relmfu

here is a Mesa Dual Rec direct recording (no mic) with Recabinet simulates impulses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfLS2pnJT_g

and here is a simple way to record at home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k&feature=relmfu

all videos are from Ola Englund
Hey thanks for all the input guys.

I was wondering something. I found out a friend of mine has a line6 toneport ux2. Is it possible to hook my 6505+ to the toneport from the preamp out and record like that? The toneport is basically a DI correct?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
For my songs, I use an m-audio fasttrack pro, i got lucky by getting it on craigslist for 75. I use 2 mxl pencil compressor mics for everything, vocals, bass, guitar, piano, etc. i use garageband on my mac, im not sure what free programs are good on the pc. Just remember, just because you record using simple equipment and the same mics for everything doesn't mean you can't get a near professional sound out of it. Mixing, including equalizing, adjusting dynamics, and compressing go a LONG way.
If you're wanting to keep it simple, have you considered using a multitracker as your DAW instead of trying to hook up to your PC? You get everything you need in a single purpose built unit which is far simpler than hoping your PC is good enough to get any sort of quality using a PC/interface/software combination.

Depending on budget, some excellent quality multitrackers are available used on eBay, obviously if you can afford it newer ones have more up to date functionality and flexibility, but even a used one made in the past 10 years will match up with most software recording packages that are out there.

Some even have built in drum machines and bass programmers so you wouldn't need to look elsewhere for those.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud