I have a platinum series mockingbird http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/bc_rich/platinum_mockingbird/index.html that has been hanging on my wall for a while now with no real purpose. I was considering replacing the stock PUPs with a set of GFS Mean 90s, as I have heard good things about them and like their tone. My only concern is how these PUPs will sound in combination with the guitar's Agathis body. My idea is to eventually convert the guitar into a unique-looking, vintage-style mockingbird (Mean 90s, new seafoam-green paintjob). I don't want any comments on how agathis is a bad wood, I just want to know if the pickups would change the tone for the better.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by relic it, but I think I'll give those Mean 90s a try. They are designed to fit in a humbucker routing, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

While I'm doing the conversion, do you guys have any other ideas that would make it more vintage-looking?

Edit: what does relic mean, btw?
Relicing is making it look old/beat up.

See: Fender Roadworn series
I don't think I'll relic it, as I've never been a huge fan of the look (don't get me wrong, its cool, I just prefer that shiny new guitar look).

I had actually considered putting a pickguard on it to complete the vintage look. Does anyone know how to make a custom pickguard?

For the headstock (right now its face is painted black with big white letters) I was thinking of removing the paint, writing B.C Rich on it in black (with what, I'm not sure), and giving it a clear coat. Comments?
For the headstock, I wouldn't write BC Rich on it, I'd use a water-slide decal or something, if you can find one, or check out the central hub. There's a link on there about how to do headstock logos.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
by putting humbucker sized p90's in it your not really giving it a vintage look...would it not look way cooler with the real sized p90's????....yes its more work to do but it would have serious mojo then
Yeah, that would be cool as heck, I just don't have a whole lot of experience with modding yet. I wouldn't know where to start with something like that. How would that be done?
its really just a case of routing the cavity that is already there a bit bigger (about the size of the humbucker surround)....can be done with a sharp chisel and with little or no damage to the existing paint
Really? I thought p90s were smaller than humbuckers. In that case, I may do that. Also, how would one go about making a custom shaped pickguard?

Thanks, guys, for your help so far. This is my first mod, so I appreciate the guidance.
Quote by Shadow_111
Really? I thought p90s were smaller than humbuckers. In that case, I may do that. Also, how would one go about making a custom shaped pickguard?

Thanks, guys, for your help so far. This is my first mod, so I appreciate the guidance.

They are... To do it for P90s you'd need to bondo or spackle it essentially.
Quote by Shadow_111

well there are about 3mm narrower (so 1.5mm each side) which isn't really that big a deal looks wise and width wise they are slightly narrower than the humbucker surround
I think I'll stick with the p90-in-a-humbucker-shell thing.

I already have the paint stripped off! Now I just need to sand, order some primer, nitro, and clear coat, slap that on there, get some PUPS, slap those in there, put it together, post some pics, and done!

That list sounded shorter in my head... -_-