So I've been playing for about 6 days,
I know chords D, A, E, Am, Em, Dm, G and C, i can play all of them first try or relatively close after minor adjustments.
The problem i'm having his strumming and changing chords.
It sounds so wrong =( my guitar's in tunes and i strum the right strings it just doesn't come out sounding good at all, even when i know none of the notes are dead.
Same with chord changes, i can do them relatively fast but i can never make a song sound relatively right because theres always a pause.
My question is, how long did it take you guys before you were comfortable enough to play chords and have it sound nice and switch fast? I know i'm not gonna learn overnight and this stuff requires a LOT of practice but i sort of want to know what im in store for.
I'd say if you've only been playing for 6 days and you already know all those chords you're doing alright man. It will take awhile to get them down fluently, just don't rush it you wana build a good foundation to work from as you start to get more advanced.
Imo the answer won't help much because your inability to do that to your standards is instantly gonna be replaced by some other technique when you do get your chords sounding "right". If you really want to know what you're in store for, get used to that feeling of confusion. It hasn't left me after 6 months of playing and if the saying "The more you know, the more you know you don't know" is any indication, it's gonna stay like that.

But for your original question, after a month or two you'll be able to do those open chords without even thinking about them. Give it some more practice and if you still don't notice improvements come back with a few more details imo.
It'll be a few months.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my advice would be to play some single note stuff,that will get u used to fretboard,well done anyways but dont rush it.
It may sound wrong because :

- you don't have your guitar tuned ( ear training comes with time so don't rush)
- You don't hold the chords correctly although you may think you are (which is still ok. You play for 6 days , guitar playing is a process not a race)

Although guitar chords can be a good way to start for entertainment reasons (most popular songs are made out of open string chords) i suggest that you start with the beginning

- learn notes on the fretboard
- learn note values (it will help you A LOT with your strumming patterns, while you understand what your playing)

- start with scales, learn the C major scale and build from there.

You can check my free ebook as it was written for beginners and gives them a healthy perspective about guitar playing.

PS: Congratulations for starting to play guitar
So I've been playing for about 6 days,
I know chords D, A, E, Am, Em, Dm, G and C, i can play all of them first try or relatively close after minor adjustments.
The problem i'm having his strumming and changing chords.
It sounds so wrong =( my guitar's in tunes and i strum the right strings it just doesn't come out sounding good at all, even when i know none of the notes are dead.

The problem - which is very common with beginners - is that you're putting uneven sideways pressure on the strings and bending some of them sharp.

Same with chord changes, i can do them relatively fast but i can never make a song sound relatively right because theres always a pause.

In the short term, the solution to this problem is to leave the earlier chord early. A song will sound more-or-less okay (by beginner standards) so long as you start your new chord on time. So rather than hold the first chord for the full measure, leave it early - so that you can hit the new chord just at the right moment.

It always takes some non-zero amount of time to change chords. You'll notice that even very experienced guitarists use this trick - although they're, obviously, leaving a much, much smaller gap between chords.

My question is, how long did it take you guys before you were comfortable enough to play chords and have it sound nice and switch fast? I know i'm not gonna learn overnight and this stuff requires a LOT of practice but i sort of want to know what im in store for.

Honestly, I don't remember. But the short answer is that it's not like there's one magic instant where suddenly everything's perfect. Instead what happens is that you tend to get a little bit better every day.

Improvement like that isn't always obvious. Sure, sooner or later you'll pick up your guitar and discover that something which was really hard for you yesterday is easy today. But it might be good for you to just record yourself strumming for 2-3 minutes, going through some basic changes that are giving you trouble. Then, in a week, record yourself doing the same thing again - and compare the recordings. Chances are, you won't feel like you've made progress ... until you listen to the recordings. Then you'll be shocked.