Hi all,

This is my first post, so hopefully it won't go tits up!

I'm goona be playing mostly metal/heavier stuff,

I'm tied between a Jackson and an Ibanez - I've got a limit of about £560-ish ($860)

I'm eyeing up the Jackson DK2T Dinky w/ Hard-tail and the RGA7...

What do you guys think? feel free to recommend others in that price range as well!

Thanks!

Last edited by kaiwoN at Sep 22, 2011,
What do you need in a new guitar? Extra range, or a nicer 6 string? What kind of music, specifically, are you playing? What do you want in terms of a neck profile? Woods? Pickups? Need moar info.
Quote by Levi79
You realize that one of these is a 7 string and one isnt right?

Yeah I know haha :P

Quote by TheAbsentOne
What do you need in a new guitar? Extra range, or a nicer 6 string? What kind of music, specifically, are you playing? What do you want in terms of a neck profile? Woods? Pickups? Need moar info.

Kind of music specifically...stuff like Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya etc other than that tbh with you I'm not 100% sure what I want - I've never really bought a guitar with the goal of just playing metal, for as long as I can remember I've only ever played chilled out/acoustic type of stuff. Sorry to be vague!
Last edited by kaiwoN at Sep 22, 2011,
Although I like 7 strings and Ibanez, I would take the jackson. I've the ibanez has their shitty LoZ pups on it and I've heard the RGA 7 and 8s aren't of the highest quality, more average than anything. That said I've never played the ibanez.
Honk
i'd rather have the jackson, but that's just me. MIJ ftw.

Though jackson prices have shot up a fair bit recently
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not to beat a dead horse, but are you in the position to try both of them out?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I've got a dk2 and like it. I've only being playing a year so haven't played many guitars for comparison.

I've seen dk2s for about £400 if that helps
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd rather have the jackson, but that's just me. MIJ ftw.

Though jackson prices have shot up a fair bit recently

no kidding, a DK2 used to be $650 and now it's a hundred more

I wanted one too... and since the new X series isn't MIJ I can't help but think they're not worth it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i think they've gone up more than that here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I paid £500 for mine in summer '10. I see an ad now for them @ <£500. Cheapest I can see being £425. Fantastic value.
i paid £330 for my dkmgt about 9 months ago (new old stock from a guitar shop)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I owned a RGA7 for a while, it's an ok guitar for the price but the Jackson feels like a real guitar. I would never hear myself recommend a Jackson before a Ibanez but in this particular case.... yeah I did.
jackson are great quality. but if your really GASin' for a 7 string ur gonna need a PUP swap after u get the RGA7. most of Ibby stock pups are just.....bad.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED