Page 1 of 2
So here's the story. I recently sold a guitar to some guy for $200. Now, being the idiot I am, I accepted a check from him. Since it had his name, address, and drivers license number, I figured nothing could go wrong. Well, today I got a letter from the bank informing me that the check bounced and my account was charged $200. I've tried calling and texting the guy, when I call it goes straight to voicemail and he doesn't reply to my texts. So my question is, is there anything I can do about this with the information I have? Cause right now I'm out $200 and a guitar, it sucks pretty bad.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Last edited by --{matt}-- at Sep 22, 2011,
Call the police. If you have his information they might do something about it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Erm, you have his address... Call the police.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Erm, you have his address... Call the police.

Yeah there's no way he could have made up an address.
Quote by smb

Drivers license number?

EDIT: Yeah, he's fucked. That's why you don't accept a cheque from someone you don't know you can trust.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

You have his address?

Go his house and ****ing take your guitar back.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Just go to the police station sometime, explain yourself/your situation.. Try to prove everything you can.

If you guys met in like a parking lot or whatever (Where you both drove your cars to meet) you should ALWAYS write down the plate number & car type. I always do, I cover my ass.

Quote by Trowzaa
Drivers license number?

EDIT: Yeah, he's fucked. That's why you don't accept a cheque from someone you don't know you can trust.

As I said, always do cash only.
Kill TS KILL KILL KILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must restore your honour TS by KILLING HIM!!!!!!
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
But if the driver's license number and address is on a check which he had to have gotten through the bank, then could he have made it up?
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by --{matt}--
But if the driver's license number and address is on a check which he had to have gotten through the bank, then could he have made it up?
Yes. Obviously. No-one has ever forged a cheque before.
He may have come up with false info. My father has owned his own business for 30 years now, and he has run into this problem MANY times. But truth be told, the ****wads who are dumb enough to think they can get free stuff with bad checks usually aren't that clever in the first place.

It's worth going to the cops. And the next time you try to sell something, CASH ONLY.
Quote by smb
Yes. Obviously. No-one has ever forged a cheque before.

Woah chill bro. I'm just saying, the bank cleared it, ran it through, and whatever. So if it's forged, I thought they would have figured that out by now.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
You have his address, hoe else is he gonna get the guitar? What a scumbag though, call the cops on him.
You do realize that the check can be an ill-gotten one, yeah? If he's willing to screw someone over for a guitar, he's willing to snatch a check from someone too. That's at least the smart way to go about it - make it untraceable. If you trace it back to the owner, he will have a missing check that no one knows about. The thief got away easy peasy.

Let it be an expensive but valuable lesson learned if you can't track him down to that check address. Always cash bro. Better see those greens, better check those water marks.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Just check the address on the check and check to see if the check could lead to an arrest.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
LOL u accepted a cheque.

Always cash or his sister.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
You must master your martial arts skills, hunt him down then slit his throat. After beating his ass of course.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
What, did you bet on the knicks?

Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
yeah, try to find him first. if you go and break his knees there will be record of it if you go to the cops right away. First try to hunt him and torture the $200 out of him. if you can't find him then go to the police with all of phone, email, contact info and check that you have from him. hopefully they can help you.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
You have his address right? So you could ship him the guitar? That could be traced back to him.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Find out if the address is correct.
Then wait two months and blow a complete can of insulation foam under the hood of his car.

The look on his face will be worth more than $200.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
I don't know how checks work, are the details on it hand written or does it have the address, name, etc. printed on it?
1. Go to address
2. See if address is of the person you sold it to
3. If no, you screwed, if yes:
4. Break legs, take guitar
5. ?
6. Profit
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
How the shit did he get your $200.

I can understand the cheque bouncing and him getting the guitar for free, but how did he get your money?
Quote by Butt Rayge

I can understand the cheque bouncing and him getting the guitar for free, but how did he get your money?

+1

I've never heard of someone having to pay for trying to cash a cheque that bounces.
Quote by smb

I do it all the time for online stuff. Someone is probably getting spam mail and they don't know why
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Butt Rayge

i assume because he got the guitar for free, and the OP priced the guitar at $200, in that sense he was 'screwed out of $200'. i don't think he lost the guitar and then somehow also lost $200 on top of that, unless i read it wrong and don't understand the use of cheques at all.
Page 1 of 2