Page 1 of 2
I've had it with my Single Rectifier >.>

I can only get mud, or Zero bass.

I tried messing with the eq, my pick ups height, trying my blackouts, and my stock gibson pick ups. Always the same results.

So would trying an 81/60 set over the black outs help (less output and less bass) or should I call it a day and keep trying to sell or trade it?

If so which heads do you suggest?

I like a dark, big tone. Chunky, nice djenty upper mids. I like alot of bass, but not mud, I value clarity.

I play metalcore. I like these tones down here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhoIo1R-LdU&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znLrH4boIpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJYZzy5O0I

I thought mesa would be perfect for this stuff, but I must be stupid.

I really in rage mode over this

btw im using a mxr od
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Sep 22, 2011,
Single Rectifiers don't really have the "Rectifier tone". The Single, Dual and Triple actually all have their own unique tonality.

Mostly, I just think you have the wrong amp for what you want. Try to trade somebody for a 6505.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Single Rectifiers don't really have the "Rectifier tone". The Single, Dual and Triple actually all have their own unique tonality.

Mostly, I just think you have the wrong amp for what you want. Try to trade somebody for a 6505.

Cool, Should i keep the mesa cab?
GEAR
You try an EQ with a lot of bass cut up front? It may just not be the amp for you. The Single Recs sound less modern than the Dual and Triple. It's a different circuit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
You try an EQ with a lot of bass cut up front? It may just not be the amp for you. The Single Recs sound less modern than the Dual and Triple. It's a different circuit.

Yeah I did. Looks like Ima sell this or trade it for a Dual rec or a 6505+
GEAR
I'd probably go for the 6505 unless you get a 2 channel Rec. They're tighter and more aggressive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Jaredmkl
Cool, Should i keep the mesa cab?

Yeah. 6505's sound BEASTLY through Mesa cabs. It's their most common combination. Is it an OS Recto cab, or like a Stilleto cab?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Over
GEAR
I'd definitely keep the cab. Unless you wanna grab an Emperor, Mills, Port City, etc. you're not really gonna find a better cab.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yeah, those can be kind of hard to work with sometimes. I personally don't like the OS cabs, I like how standard sized cabs give a tighter bass response. But for chunk and djent the OS is probably better.

If you want to save some money, you can probably trade your Single Rec for a 5150 and a couple hundred bucks.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, those can be kind of hard to work with sometimes. I personally don't like the OS cabs, I like how standard sized cabs give a tighter bass response. But for chunk and djent the OS is probably better.

If you want to save some money, you can probably trade your Single Rec for a 5150 and a couple hundred bucks.

i think ima do that so i can me one of those gmajor systems
GEAR
The Peavey 5150 Blockface > 6505 anyway if you can find one
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The 5150 Blockface > 6505 anyway.

Same exact amp. Let's not start this for the millionth time.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try out a Mark IIc, IV or V ? Then again, a IIC won't be cheap or easy to find Guess if you had an amp to drive it, a triaxis. Might end up in a mental hospital after obsessing about tone with the triaxis tho (could say the same for the IV/V)! Cheaper to go with a dual rectifier or 5150/6505.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
have you tried something like a 10band eq pedal in the effects loop? that could help you.

or if you can afford it (right now they are like 110$) a 31 band rackmount eq. you can run that in the fx loop of your amp, and that should provide alot of tonal shaping.
have you ever tried a tubescreamer out front? All the djent guys use overdrives in front to boost the amp and tighten it up.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
have you ever tried a tubescreamer out front? All the djent guys use overdrives in front to boost the amp and tighten it up.

Yeah I said I did
GEAR
That's strange all the Single Rectifiers I've played have sounded almost as good as its bigger brothers(meaning that they sound awesome). With a Clean boost there should be no problems getting a tight chugging sound.

Line up your EXACT settings for your boost as well as your amp and maybe we can help you sort it out.

If it doesn't help; Sell it to me!
Quote by Ola Englund
That's strange all the Single Rectifiers I've played have sounded almost as good as its bigger brothers(meaning that they sound awesome). With a Clean boost there should be no problems getting a tight chugging sound.

Line up your EXACT settings for your boost as well as your amp and maybe we can help you sort it out.

If it doesn't help; Sell it to me!

Gladly.

MXR Classic Overdrive:

Drive: all the way off
Tone: 1 oclock
Volume: Maxed

Mesa:
Modern
Presence: 11 oclock (it's low but i like a dark tone)
Treble: 12 oclock
Mid: 1 oclock
Bass: 12 oclock
Gain: 12 oclock

On a happy, I love the clean sound I'm getting
GEAR
Maybe, I'll try tomorrow, I can put my vocal mic into my line 6 tone port and record into garage band, thats the best i can do besides a flip cam. Master on the channel is straight to the left, amp master (output), Is about the same

thanks man
GEAR
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Sep 23, 2011,
seems pretty low, have you tried with variations with the master volume and channel volume?

for instance set the channel volume as low as you can without it breaking up the sound and go for a higher master volume?

A good trick is to put in a EQ pedal in the loop and lower the volume there so you can push the master volume more.
No I haven't I'll try that and put up some recording's tomorrow though I'm not sure how my mic will sound recording a guitar
GEAR
Quote by Ola Englund
the amp might open up if you get the chance to push the volume more.

I hope so >.> it sounds like it S*** the bed. It can't hold up it's low end, it sounds like
GEAR
if you can't get the recto sounding good i would trade it for a 6505 like they said before, 2 of the bands you posted use 6505s. that with the mesa cab is going to tear shit up for sure
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I went from a Single Rec to a 5150. I am very happy and then I got a Vox AC30 to compensate for the loss of awesome cleans.
Quote by Jaredmkl
MXR Classic Overdrive

There's your problem right there. Try an 808. They fix everything.
Couldn't get a recoding.

I hate eq peals, everytime i try to use them, i screw everything up haha.

I think Ima get the 6505+
GEAR
mark v > dual rectifier > 6550
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I want a roadster, but i need an more immediate solution before I start touring and the studio is just in a few moths
GEAR
I don't recommend a 6505+. While there's nothing wrong with it, I think the 6505 would give you a more raw, djenty sound.

Also check out the JSX. I've heard some pretty surprising djent tones out of it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Protest the Hero <3

I use clean alot, I can't have the same clean and gain eq :/ so If i went 6505 i'd need a plus
GEAR
I'd say get the 6505+. You can get similar tones on a JSX but it's just not quite the same. I have a JSX and 5150... the 5150 is just so raw and in your face compared to the JSX. While the cleans are better on the JSX, I'm not a 5150 clean channel hater like a lot of people seem to be.
Depends on how loud you're playing. At bedroom levels, the cleans on the 5150/6505 are fine. Start turning on the clean channel master volume and that will change.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Ah, I see.

And yes PTH <3

I'd definitely look into the JSX then if you need cleans. Also check out the XXX and 3120, but I think those are too bright/harsh for what you want.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Jaredmkl

Mesa:
Modern

Bass is way too high, mids are probably too high, treble may be slightly too low. Especially if you're playing on an oversized cab.

I've yet to meet a Mesa amp that I can run the bass past 10:30. My old Roadster I had it between 7:00-9:00 as with My Lonestar Classic. My Electradyne I run it at 10:00. The guy in my band also has a Dual Rec which he runs the bass at 9:00. They're bassy amps. Even if you run the bass completely off you're still going to get a dark sound with a fair bit of bass. Especially when you crank it.

Mids are a little more subjective. Generally at home you'll want to scoop a fair bit of them out, but with a band or while recording, or just when you're playing loud you're going to want to start reintroducing them. usually between 10-1:00 is a good range.

Don't be afraid to play with the treble and presence.. Boosting them doesn't always have the effect you expect, especially on a Mesa amp. Personally speaking I love very dark tones, but with Mesa amps I find myself running the treble and presence quite high because they just seem to boost all the right frequencies and none of the really harsh ugly ones.
Quote by Jaredmkl
Gladly.

Mesa:
Modern

On a happy, I love the clean sound I'm getting

not to be mean, but that is a horrible eq setting.

your pushing the bass way too much, so it will of course sound muddy. have a good sound tech or someone with good ears set up the eq settings. it can get much better.

if you want to try it yourself, then do this.

all tone on zero. and presence on zero. (don't give a crap about numbers so i'm not going to be talking like a clock)

palm mute the guitar, and while strumming the A string, start setting the bass. keep increasing it till you can visibly hear the bass (don't do chug sound yet, i know you want to ). just get the bass to the point to where you can hear an audible thump (not a overpowering one).

then picking the d and g string alternately, set the mids until the amp sounds fuller. don't be extreme with it, because again, we aren't going to dial in teh brootz yet.
yes, i know you want scooped mids, but hush for now.

then alternately picking the b and high E, set the highs till they are clear, but not harsh, then back it off just slightly.

now you want to adjust the presence until you have some more clarity in the bottom end. for this just pick (no palm muting now). the low e string. once you think you have it set well, then strum a few open chords to see how it sounds.

now that you did a rough eq'ing of the amp, fine tune the mids, you'll want a full sound, but you don't want it to sound like its starting to mute out the treble.

then once your done with that, try re-eq'ing the treble. presence will add some treble, and you don't want it to be harsh.

now that you've done that. you can then re-set it to whatever you want for your thrash sound.
I can't comment specifically on tone relative to the OP's preferences (metal), and I haven't played on the specific amp in question, but I agree with Icronic about EQ on Mesa amps, being a Lonestar Classic owner myself. It almost seems like a general rule that you have to roll off the Bass on such amps, and while experience with other amps may make this seem like an awkward manuever, it should *still* sound quite warm even with the Bass all the way down. This becomes even more true as you turn the master volume up - the tone knobs react differently and a lot of warmth comes in, so I've found myself turning the Bass down even more and not being afraid of a little bit more treble (and I'm normally the type to want to go easy on the treble).
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 2