Page 1 of 3
Today, I was playing Gears of War 3, when Mad World by Gary Jules came on during a very important part. I thought it was very well placed and fitting, and this got me thinking of all the amazing uses of music in video games. So heres my short list:

GEARS OF WAR 3 SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

Mad World-Gary Jules, Gears of War 3. When Dom drives the tanker truck into the imulsion pipe, and this song comes on when in slow motion all the lambent and locust are dying and burning up and Marcus is unbelieving of his best friend sacrificing himself for him.

Far Away-Jose Gonzales, Red Dead Redemption. When John Marston is first riding into Mexico, so far away from his family.

Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix feat. Steve Vai)-Halo 2. When the Master Chief is taking over the scarab, being a badass as usual.

Sympathy for the Devil-Rolling Stones, Call of Duty: Black Ops. When youre in the jungle river, blasting this song, totally raping the Viet Kong.

So I'm wondering if there are any other worth mentioning. Please let me know if you think of any great uses of music in video games.
Ace Combat 4 I believe it is. Blurry by Puddle of Mudd in the cutscene. I'll see if I can find the video.

EDIT: Nah, there's only montages, it was Ace Combat 5. It was brilliant.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Trowzaa at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by C.Burnzy

Far Away-Jose Gonzales, Red Dead Redemption. When John Marston is first riding into Mexico, so far away from his family.

Sympathy for the Devil-Rolling Stones, Call of Duty: Black Ops. When youre in the jungle river, blasting this song, totally raping the Viet Kong.

Those were actually the first two I thought of.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
That other part of Halo 2 where Blow Me Away plays without vocals. Not a big fan of the song but when there's a big ass war going on between everyone and you're in the middle just f*cking stuff up, it's pretty badass.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I don't really play them, but Red Dead Redemption had some pretty cool music things.
Metroid Prime. the whole thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by colddayinthesun
Brutal Legends when the chick jumps off the cliff and Mr. Crowley is playing

Ah damn, forgot about Brutal Legend.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by C.Burnzy
Sympathy for the Devil-Rolling Stones, Call of Duty: Black Ops. When youre in the jungle river, blasting this song, trying to figure out how to push over a barrel to proceed.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, I honestly kind of hate music being licensed in games like that. The only real exceptions are stuff like GTA, where it's being played on a radio in game. I much prefer original soundtracks.
The menu music in Mirror's Edge. It's so perfect and fitting to the aesthetics of the game.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Flying Couch
Fixed that for you.

I don't think you are thinking of the same part of the game.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...

Say what you will, these games were absolutely beautiful from a cinematic angle, which includes the music. The music was fitting as always, catchy as always, and it was composed to fit the actions - after three playthroughs of Wind Waker, I found that the soundtrack actually seemed to be written so, at any point in the piece of music, it can interject a stab whenever you're attacked or the enemy is, making it feel like the score is being written in real-time to your actions. Moreso beautifully, it can smoothly segue into a more fitting piece of music when you attack, switching to something triumphant when you're striking at the boss' weakness, or using the alternate route to get past an obstacle and continue forward. This was also the case in Twilight Princess.

This isn't something particularly impressive nowadays, but given they're from 2002 and 2006, respectively, the latter on the console with the weakest hardware, and it's still a very good example of it nowadays when a lot of games just have a roaming music for each level, fight music, boss music, victory music, and game over music, and these were, again, absolutely beautiful.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
The Sun's Song. Those stalchildren are annoying.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by WinterEagle5
Silent Hill. That is all.

This man speaks the truth
Said the straight man to the late man: "where have you been?"

"I've been here and, I've been there and, I've been in between."
The soundtracks of Final Fantasy X and Nier are perfection. And even though I've never played FFVIII, the music is amazing.
Quote by Jon777
BlazBlue has some pretty rockin' tracks.

Also, Uematsu. <3

This.

Also MGS4's whole soundtrack. It immersed you into the story the game was telling and toyed with your emotions.
I pretend to write songs.

If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright
Because I believe that after we're gone
The spirit carries on
Quote by Flying Couch
Fixed that for you.

Wrong part brah, you're thinking of the stabbing barrels of napalm from much earlier on, this is raping on the boats, I think it's a boat anyway. Boat or chopper.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by burghUK
WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED -

metal gear solid 3 : snake eater.

Ladder climbing scene best part of the game imo.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by colddayinthesun

This is so true
mass effect some cool music, like the star chart song. Halo 1 had a great soundtrack, really put you in the scene. for a real-world song, probably dont fear the reaper in prey, or the peice of classical music in bioshock when sander cohen(the pyscho artist) is introduced
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
The OST of Final Fantasy X and the .hack series was fantastic. Played out like a movie.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I love late 90's - early 2000s nintendo soundtracks, especially in games by Rare. Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day Had some Killer tracks, that actually fit the mood pretty well.

Also, I just love this song from Super Mario 64. Great for a serene mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ
Eternal Sonata is about Chopin's tuberculosis-induced dreams. It's full of more musical awesomeness than any game I've ever played.

Also, let's not forget Peggle and it's amazing use of Ode to Joy whenever you beat the shit out of a level. The first time it (along with the rainbow orgasm that comes across the screen) is cute; the next dozen times it's like, "ok;" then its awesomeness increases exponentially every time you finish a level until you get to the point where you jump out of your seat screaming in rapturous joy every time it plays.

edit* and I like how as you get more creatures in Loco Roco, they add more parts to the music playing in the background. The music is nothing great and not nearly as memorable as a lot of great video game music, but the building effect is really cool.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by colddayinthesun

Quote by theogonia777
Metroid Prime. the whole thing.

Quote by WinterEagle5

Quote by necrosis1193
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw5tPH-mG4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyz1irTV_nchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RdRDaOsNg
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by WinterEagle5

It's a shame the person who did the music for them all isn't working on them any more. Downpour won't be the same without his mind**** of a soundtrack.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
The old Tony Hawks games and the the first Skate game. I used to try and skate in time with the music.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by muffinduck01

Super Metroid needs mentioning as well. Seriously, you CANNOT find a better score in any game than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw5tPH-mG4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyz1irTV_nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RdRDaOsNg

Super Metroid's music is so good. I've heard my non-musician friends humming that and even picking it out on piano (with no knowledge of how to play) because they like it so much. You expect that with the really popular stuff like Mario, but Metroid is good enough that it sticks to everyone that plays it.
Page 1 of 3