Hey UG,
I was thinking of buying an amp from overseas since it is greatly cheaper.
What are the problems with voltage conversion.
all u need is a transformer to go between your amp and the wall.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by T7E
Grimwade, are you Aus? I have the same conundrum

Yeah man, amps are do much cheaper out on the net. We gotta take advantage of this haha.
If you find any answers on this give us a post, I'l do that same for you.

And I'm not totally sure on just getting a converter will just do the trick, because apparently its more technical than that.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's not more technical than that. Just make sure you don't get a wimpy ass converter. Check the wattage rating of the amp (the one on the back by the cord, not the one that tells how loud it is) and make sure it's less than that of the converter.

Okay man makes sense. You gave a more direct answer;"make sure it's less than that of the converter".
Thanks
Most of my old gear is from the states and the rating on the gear was 110v-120v at 60hz. Here in wales we use 240 at 50hz. Using a simple transformer to convert 120v to 240v makes it safe to run my equipment. The SS gear I use all functions exactly like it would have using it in the USA. My valve gear doesn't sound the same as it did when I lived in the states because at 50hz the amp needs more power or more filtering. When left stock my valve amps would break up sooner and had a less defined bass tone. This doesn't damage the amp but if you want to tighten your bass and increase headroom you can increase the size of the filter caps but it's not something you NEED to do.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Most of my old gear is from the states and the rating on the gear was 110v-120v at 60hz. Here in wales we use 240 at 50hz. Using a simple transformer to convert 120v to 240v makes it safe to run my equipment. The SS gear I use all functions exactly like it would have using it in the USA. My valve gear doesn't sound the same as it did when I lived in the states because at 50hz the amp needs more power or more filtering. When left stock my valve amps would break up sooner and had a less defined bass tone. This doesn't damage the amp but if you want to tighten your bass and increase headroom you can increase the size of the filter caps but it's not something you NEED to do.

In Australia we also use 220V-240V, so if I just get a simple adaptor nothing can go wrong??
Depends on the amp. Some have 110V - 240V voltage selectors on the back of the unit.

If it has this, you just make sure it's switched to 240V and you don't need to get a transformer

Otherwise you'll need whats called a step down transformer
Last edited by Phoenix V at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by Phoenix V
Depends on the amp. Some have 110V - 240V voltage selectors on the back of the unit.

If it has this, you just make sure it's switched to 240V and you don't need to get a transformer

Otherwise you'll need whats called a step up transformer

actually wouldn't it be a step down transformer since he will be converting the 240v mains power down to 110 - 120v to run the amp at a safe voltage.
Quote by tobuei
actually wouldn't it be a step down transformer since he will be converting the 240v mains power down to 110 - 120v to run the amp at a safe voltage.

Yes correct. Step down. Had a brain fart
Ensure that you get a good quality step down transformer if that is the direction you are going. You can get some pretty crappy ones that will put a heck of a lot of noise onto the line. The heavier the better as the transformer in it will be higher quality.

Your other option is to get a international transformer for the amp that you are buying and have a tech install it.