I plan to change pickups on my Godin strat.

I plan to install Seymour Duncans but how do I know they will sound good ? It's not like I can try them before buying. And it doesnt make sense checking them on other guitars cause I assume the strings other factors matter so if it sounds good on another guitar doesnt mean they will sound good on mine.

So how do I know which pickup to use ?
Find a few that you like on youtube, then refine your search for just those and see how they sound on different guitars, then refine... refine... refine.

SD has a website that explains what their pickups are made for and even sound files also.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Last edited by i3oosted at Sep 23, 2011,
try to find guitarists who's sound you like, see what they use... try to find someone who uses a similar guitar to yours...
---
I'm actually in the middle of doing a Seymour Duncan pickup test recording the following:
Blackouts, Invader, Full Shred, Trembucker, Duncan Distortion, Dimebucker, Alternative 8

Give me an hour and I can share an mp3 of the ones I've tried already. - Doh my computer at home was turned of so no remote bouncing :/
Last edited by Ola Englund at Sep 23, 2011,
its Ola! looking forward to the video. and when da solar 7 gonna be up for sale
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Ola Englund
I'm actually in the middle of doing a Seymour Duncan pickup test recording the following:
Blackouts, Invader, Full Shred, Trembucker, Duncan Distortion, Dimebucker, Alternative 8

Give me an hour and I can share an mp3 of the ones I've tried already. - Doh my computer at home was turned of so no remote bouncing :/

Interested to see what you think of the invader, I just installed one last week and I love it.

Anyways, yeah for new pups just look around online, or talk to other guitar players in your area to see what they have. They are not hard to install so if you dont like them you can switch back pretty easily....although you'll be out of the cash. Good luck!
Quote by Robfreitag
try to find guitarists who's sound you like, see what they use... try to find someone who uses a similar guitar to yours...
Well done very good
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 23, 2011,
which godin? for the most part they are well built and worth investing in, but not always.

anyways, a complement of duncan pickups will drastically improve your guitar. even if you go with just a generic set for a strat (thats what I did, but I put in dimazio's), you'll improve clarity, sustain, tone and feel. godin's in-house pickups aren't great, so their guitars tend to benefit dramatically from pickup upgrades.
Quote by damage_inc07
Interested to see what you think of the invader, I just installed one last week and I love it.

Anyways, yeah for new pups just look around online, or talk to other guitar players in your area to see what they have. They are not hard to install so if you dont like them you can switch back pretty easily....although you'll be out of the cash. Good luck!

Actually here's a crappy iphone video of me enjoying the invader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeeH8FhnYPc
Last edited by Ola Englund at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by krehzeekid
which godin? for the most part they are well built and worth investing in, but not always.

The Freeway Classic
If you're in the US you can take advantage of Dimarzio's exchange policy:

If you are a U.S. resident and you are not satisfied with the performance of your DiMarzio® pickup for any reason, DiMarzio®, Inc. will exchange it within thirty days of original purchase for any other DiMarzio® pickup having an equal or lesser manufacturer's suggested retail price. If you want to exchange it for a higher priced pickup, you must include the difference in the listed retail price with your exchange.

Does SD do the same?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs