so due to injury that is healing super slow, i need lighter basses than i used to play. i was going to pick up a hofner icon violin bass. things i like about it - very comfortable size and weight, rich bass tones. while quality can be an issue with the icons, there's a guy online who hand-picks them and does a set up who's very well spoken of. i figured i'd go for one from him - they're a few more bucks, but he promises that he checks for the issues i've seen. i figured i was all set to go.

then i laid eyes on the black hofner contemporary series club bass. wow, it's absolutely gorgeous! dripping with vintage looks, it's one of the purtiest basses i've seen, and apparently sounds like the violin bass with a hint more sustain from a tone block inside. this line is known to be better built and finished than the icon series, and this bass is about one pound heavier. the catch is that i can't see one in person - if i want to try, i have to buy. and because of my torn rotator cuff, i can't play anything with an over 14" lower bout comfortably. i wrote to hofner, called a couple stores about the lower bout, but no one has gotten back to me.

part of me feels like just going for the club bass. you only live once, and i haven't had a bass i really liked since i sold my ric. the rest of me feels i should go for the icon violin bass - it's a known quantity, and i actually like the tone a lot.

so... which would you go for?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
A good setup is worth its weight in gold.

If you KNOW you can do a good setup on your own... go with the contemporary series. If you DON'T know how to do a good setup... go with the Icon.

The Hoffys are pretty unique, and a setup by a guy that KNOWS them will be the better value, in the long run.

Does that dude only mess with the Icon series? Contact him and see if you can send him a Contemporary series... you may shell out a bit more in the end, but i've learned it's worth a few extra $$$ to get a bass you're REALLY happy with in the end!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I still suggest the Steinberger I mentioned in your last thread.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
i'm a huge fan of set-ups, and we mostly do our own. that being said, we're new to this kind of bass, and it seems more complicated, or at least more sensitive.

the guy does set ups on basses you buy from him - at least, the hofners - but only on basses you buy from him, as far as i know. he doesn't offer the club bass.

Quote by Din of Win
A good setup is worth its weight in gold.

If you KNOW you can do a good setup on your own... go with the contemporary series. If you DON'T know how to do a good setup... go with the Icon.

The Hoffys are pretty unique, and a setup by a guy that KNOWS them will be the better value, in the long run.

Does that dude only mess with the Icon series? Contact him and see if you can send him a Contemporary series... you may shell out a bit more in the end, but i've learned it's worth a few extra $$$ to get a bass you're REALLY happy with in the end!

i like the rich bass from the semi hollow basses. steinbergers don't deliver that, and for sitting, they don't seem very versatile.

Quote by CJ Noble
I still suggest the Steinberger I mentioned in your last thread.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Sep 23, 2011,