hi, i am learning 'old man' by neil young and the song requires the 'd string' to be played but muted at the same time.....for the life of me i cant seem to work out how to do it...any tips would be very appreciated ...
Don't really know what you are trying to say, but you can look up palm-muting on YouTube.
A technique to slightly mute a string to get another sound.
Rest your finger on the string so that it's touching it, but not pressing down enough to sound a note.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by JB95
Don't really know what you are trying to say, but you can look up palm-muting on YouTube.
A technique to slightly mute a string to get another sound.

thanks it sounds like palm muting....its the only way you can do with the looks of it...thank you
Quote by Koshman32
Rest your finger on the string so that it's touching it, but not pressing down enough to sound a note.

thanks for you reply but i tried resting my finger on the string but it no matter how lightly i touch it the note on the '2nd fret' is heard....
Quote by alfie_y
thanks for you reply but i tried resting my finger on the string but it no matter how lightly i touch it the note on the '2nd fret' is heard....

Try resting more than 1 finger. And just like anyrthing else it's going to take some practice to get it right. You can use palm muting at the same time to get it to sound deeper.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Try resting more than 1 finger. And just like anyrthing else it's going to take some practice to get it right. You can use palm muting at the same time to get it to sound deeper.

its abit hard to rest more than 1 finger on the string when your playing chords hahhahaa..it has to be palm muting and practice....never done palm muting before...thanks man