So im thinking of maybe buying a 7 string in the future. Noting for over 2000 $ (i can buy used). I mostly play prog metal in the style of dream theater, btbam, opeth veil of maya, animals as leaders, scale the summit and also some jazz influenced metal. I have looked on the john petrucci 7 string, witch seems like a nice guitar (it have the pickups i like, piezo and all that good stuff). But the price is not so nice. What 7 string would you recomend? I have heard steve vai say that a 7 string feels like a completly different instrument. Do you guys agree? Thank you.
if you like the neck shapes, the EBMM BFR JP7 seems to be very popular, but the neck is very similar to ibanez necks to me, which i dont like. not sure if you can go new on that or youd have to go used.

other than that, theres a MiJ 7 string jackson soloist for 1500$ new but for progressive stuff, id stay away from actives.

you can custom order a carvin 7 string for like 1600 if you go all out feature wise, and then buy some BKPs or some really good passives for it.

theres deff more, but thats just offf the top of my head.

btw, would you be ok with a floyd?

and to me and the other guitarist of my band, we just see 7s as an extension as a 6. you can use them as a 6 or a 7. you just have to get used to having the low string there
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Sep 23, 2011,
A floyd is ok. Ill probably install a trem stopper, like i did to my floyd guitar(so i can only dive, but locking system is great to hold tune). How is carvins in genneral btw? And do i need to pay more in general for a good 7 string than a good 6 string?
MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7
Quote by Pac_man0123
MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7 MusicMan JP7

Dosnt it cost over 2000$ :P ? I really want one, but then i need to buy used...
Look into the high end Agile's, and I highly suggest looking at some "Strictly 7" guitars, heard they are absolutly amazing. Not quite sure on the price, but I'm sure they have one for under 2 grand.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
You're looking at a good range for that pricetag.

Really, the JP7 Musicman is a great shout, they do sell fairly frequently over on sevenstring.org in the marketplace for less than $2k im pretty sure. Have a poke. If not, Universes are awesome. Best guitar I own by far, outstrips the RGs that I also have - by a long shot.

Getting used to it, took me less than a week with my first 7. A little while longer to read 7 string tab and 6 string tab alternately and get it right! But necks tend to be thin because of the width of the neck, and you can play just as fast on a 7, and be just as technically accurate.
i got a quote from strictly 7 that i will post here for your knowledge. pretty high end specs:

STRICTLY 7 GUITARS CUSTOM ORDER FORM

Series Viper Custom
Model S7 Cobra
Top Wood None
Body Wood Mahogany
Neck Wood Rock Maple w/ neckthru & matching headstock
Fingerboard Macassar Ebony
Inlays None
Headstock Inline 7
Scale Length 26 3/16
Neck Radius 12
Frets 25 jumbo stainless steel
Bridge Hipshot hardtail
Neck Pick-up Bareknuckles tbd
Bridge Pick-up Bareknuckles tbd
Middle Pick-up N/A
Switch 3-Way Blade
Hardware Color Black
Tuners Locking Sperzel
Color gloss black
Special Instructions no neck finish
$2,106.46

Net Guitar Price $2,106.46
OH Sales Tax (6.5%)
Case $99

Total Cost $2,205.46
Shipping/Handling $60.00

Grand Total $2,265.46

Down payment $747.60
Date
Payment #2 $747.60 Balance $770.26 due before shipping
Date
Customer Signature
Date
James Lewis
Strictly 7 Guitars, LLC Date
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
*strictly 7 stuff*

That's actually not a bad price seeing as it's handmade USA custom, sure it's over your budget, but only by $265, plus you get a case with it.

I'd say it's worth it for sure, but if you really can't go over 2 grand even stretch for the strictly, I'd say check out the musicman 7's even though I don't like them, not my thing, but plenty of people love them and highly suggest them.

EDIT: http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

Check out the higher end ones, even the most expensive ones are only like, not even half of your original budget, I'd say look into one of these, and look into getting a nice amp or something.
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Tango616 at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by Mazzakazza
You're looking at a good range for that pricetag.

Really, the JP7 Musicman is a great shout, they do sell fairly frequently over on sevenstring.org in the marketplace for less than $2k im pretty sure. Have a poke. If not, Universes are awesome. Best guitar I own by far, outstrips the RGs that I also have - by a long shot.

Getting used to it, took me less than a week with my first 7. A little while longer to read 7 string tab and 6 string tab alternately and get it right! But necks tend to be thin because of the width of the neck, and you can play just as fast on a 7, and be just as technically accurate.

Can you post me a link to this markedplace I cant seem to find it.
Also, if you sit and noodle on a 7 string for about an half hour, then switch to 6 string fast, does it feel wierd or hard to play? Thanks
Quote by xFilth
I've heard mixed things about Strictly 7.

Care to elaborate on that? I havn't heard anything bad about 'em.
ಠ_ಠ

Heard mixed opinions about the build quality over at SS.org. I recall a dude calling his S7 "a US handmade custom with mid-end korean craftmanship". I've also heard people say that Jim is improving over time and that many of the errors are being corrected.
For $2000, you could get at least 3 of the models I posted and you won't be disappointed by the playability and quality.

Or, get one of those (not the ESP) and acquire another high gain amp like a Nitro with enough for PU change.

For 2 grand you could probably find a luthier and build one. You'd get exactly what you want that way. Keeping that in mind, I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Carvin yet. You'll get a pretty cool DC727 for around your price range.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Oh shit, I forgot about Carvin too, I'd say go with that.
ಠ_ಠ

forgot to mention, pretty sure strictly 7 has a lifetime warranty on all their shit
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED