Good day, people of the Ultimate Guitar Recording forum,

I've seen lots of people ask the same question over, and over, and over, and over. So i figured I’d answer this question, in an explanation of how I do things and how i approach this matter.
The question I am talking about is “how do I record metal guitars on the cheap”. As i've been doing exactly that for the last 2 years, I have gained decent experience that I am more then willing to share with my fellow Djentleman. I will talk you through step by step how I approach things. Which does not have anything to do with microphones, but purely digital recorded guitars, processed with VST amp simulators and impulses.
If you want information on how to record your amplifier for metal, i'd refer you to Ola Englund's video on the matter.

1. The guitar.
The first link in the chain is of course your guitar, fresh strings help for good tone. And NEVER forget to tune, there is nothing as annoying like recording half a song, then having to re-do it all because of bad tuning

2. The interface
Second link is the interface, all this should be doing is transferring a raw guitar signal to the computer in a good quality signal, without clipping!
I use my Line 6 POD x3 Live as an interface, but this does not fit the description of Cheap. Interfaces I’d recommend are the M-Audio Fast track series. For a firewire interface, please ask someone else, because I have only used USB in my time, and have no clue about firewire.

3. The DAW
The third thing I'd like to speak about, is your DAW. DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation. This is the software in which you record your audio. On a budget I'd recommend Reaper. It's free to use and very high quality.
Do not use audacity, it isn't up to scratch for pure recording in my honest opinion

4. The Tone
next I will talk to you about the great adventure that is tone. In this case, amp simulation VST's and Impulses.
My personal favorite so far is TSE X50.
It is a model of the Peavey 5150/6505 range, and features great tone for free!
As far as my impulses go, I use KeFir as my impulse loader.
the impulse I always use is a Marshall Mode Four 412 impulse

What I also like to do is boost x50 with the Tse808 for tightness.

5. Loading the amp sims into reaper.
Right, open up your reaper, and insert a track

Arm the track for recording and turn monitoring on, so you can hear what you are doing.
Next, you wanna click the FX button. Click the vst tab, find your plug ins, select them and click OK. The effects should pop up, put them in the order as shown.

Load your impulse into Kefir, make sure the mix knob is on full. We don't want to be recording on a Fender Frontman with a Boss Metal zone in the headphone output, do we.
Now EQ, I can't help you on this, this is up to you.
If you wanna do some djent, add a noise gate and compressor, to get the super punch and DJENT

6. Recording.
Now that you have your track ready to go, the most simple step comes, press record and play. Not much to explain here, I am not teaching you guitar!

7. Enjoy, you have recorded a metal guitar track, with the potential to sound great.
I am not gonna talk about mixing and mastering now, Ola Englund's video has an explanation on that that is quite perfect.

Clips: (excuse bad playing)

http://soundcloud.com/kevin-sneijers/sets/metal-recording
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Comic Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans!
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Last edited by SquierLolz at Sep 23, 2011,
Doesn't the x50 model an engl of some sort? maybe I;m thinking of the x30.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Nice little guide for the newbies. One thing I'd note about the recording step is that you can record at a higher input volume than you've got in the screenshot. I usually go anywhere between -6db and -3db peaks on my guitar DI; it makes slip editing, etc easier later on!

Another thing with amp sims is that a surgical cut somewhere between 3khz and 4khz is necessary to get rid of that hissy/fizzy/plastic sound.
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Reaper is NOT free! it costs 60$ for a personal/small business license. It just a 30 day trial, without copyright enforcement , but it does not mean it's free.

The Darkwave studio is free for example.

The x30 is engl preamp. The x50 is a 6505.

It says it ends after the free trail, but it doesn't, you can use it as long as you want
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
+1 to X50. I have POD Farm Platinum and ReValver MK III and that plugin is better than both of them. I've always disliked the free amp sims, but X50 is AWESOME!

I use Catharsis impulses with it though, into Lepou's LeCab2. I used to use Kefir, but LeCab sounds a bit better, somehow.

Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Reaper is NOT free! it costs 60$ for a personal/small business license. It just a 30 day trial, without copyright enforcement , but it does not mean it's free.

Yes it is.

After your 30 day "trial" is up, you can continue to use the software as long as you want, for free. You're "supposed" to buy it after the 30 days, but no one's going to come knocking at your door, telling you you have to buy it or delete it off your computer, that's not how Cockos works. It might be the "right" thing to do after 30 days, but no one's stopping you from using it for longer.

For all intended purposes, Reaper is donationware.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by SquierLolz
Comic Sans!

[shutters]
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Quote by Nemui-Kuma

The x50 is a 6505.

It's actually a 6505+, it has a mod for the red channel that simulates the 6505 red channel.</dork>

Decent guide, though I think you should really add some instructions on how to install a vst, since most people are oblivious to this task. Also your section on recording is a bit lackluster, you should tell people how to arm and monitor a track there, it's not rocket science but I've helped people before who had no idea how to actually record in a daw.
As for EQing, sure all sources are different but you should at least add some info about general hi-pass and lo-pass. High pass on guitars shouldn't need to be lower than 60hz. As for low passing you could write something like start at 12khz and sweep it lower until you get rid of some fizz without it becoming too dark. If it's starting to sound like you put a blanket over the cabinet back off on the low pass a bit, add pictures. Actually you could add some more pictures in general, perhaps some picture of your x50 settings.

By the by, here is a good place to find more free impulses: http://guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=9d57524e250314a963cc673969548067

Oh and one more thing, I noticed you're linking to an old version of TSE808, there's an update here (along with the rest of Onqels plugs): http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/website/software.htm
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by Nemui-Kuma

The Darkwave studio is free for example.

The x30 is engl preamp. The x50 is a 6505.

Yes it is.

After your 30 day "trial" is up, you can continue to use the software as long as you want, for free. You're "supposed" to buy it after the 30 days, but no one's going to come knocking at your door, telling you you have to buy it or delete it off your computer, that's not how Cockos works. It might be the "right" thing to do after 30 days, but no one's stopping you from using it for longer.

For all intended purposes, Reaper is donationware.

Are you aware that your saying the exact same thing as him with more word ?
you need to look up slipperman's guide to recording distorted guitar. it's amazing.

a GOOD, dynamic player
speaker excursion
cabinet involvement
room type
mic placement

when properly done these are much more important factors than x gear vs. x gear
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
you need to look up slipperman's guide to recording distorted guitar. it's amazing.

a GOOD, dynamic player
speaker excursion
cabinet involvement
room type
mic placement

when properly done these are much more important factors than x gear vs. x gear

Entirely different thing, that guide is about mic'ing a cab, not recording digitally using vsts
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Should probably put in a thing about Double tracking, it's very important.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!