Hello ug,

I think i am in need for a new guitar... My ec-100 sounds a bit dull and i think i prefer a other shape.

Budget: 800€ max
City: tilburg, the Netherlands
Genres: from billy talent to killswitch engage to lostprophets to in flames..
Gear: ec-100, h&k TriAmp, Framus 212 v30's

Things i been thinking at:

Some kind of ibanez with HSH configuration
Some kind of fender HSS / HSH strat

I prefer buying new, but when a guitar is teh awsomeness, i will save a bit more for it

I dont know anything about guitars, so please help me. And Please give me specific models.

Greetz,
Tunder
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Sep 23, 2011,
mij ibanez prestige would be a worth a look, certainly.

those new charvels seem to be good value too, and are also MIJ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks dave, do you know any particilar models? As i am more a amp-person than a guitar-guy
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
go with the strat, you can never go wrong with a fender. I have a fender highway one strat and i love it to death. it was only around 600 USD$$ too. I don't know what that is in euros but its a good deal in the US.
Quote by fenderstrat235
go with the strat, you can never go wrong with a fender. I have a fender highway one strat and i love it to death. it was only around 600 USD$$ too. I don't know what that is in euros but its a good deal in the US.

Did you buy it new or used? Will look at it
Im open for more options ^^
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
Thanks dave, do you know any particilar models? As i am more a amp-person than a guitar-guy

ah ok

with ibanez it's probably going to boil down to which MIJ prestiges are under budget- rg1570, rg1451, stuff like that. Obviously if you can get a 2570 or 2550 for the same price, it might be worth considering, though it's basically the same thing with nicer pickups. you can sometimes get good deals on older, new-old-stock rgs with the older edge pro trem- which a lot of people prefer to the newer edge zero.

again with charvel, budget's going to be the thing- the pro mods (so cal and san dimas) and wildcards (various models, they change every few months) should be under budget too.

the charvels have the advantage of not really needing a pickup swap (though the dimarzio-loaded one has a slightly weird selection, considering the style of music it's aimed at), but they don't have the all-access neck joint and super slim neck the ibanezes have.

Quote by fenderstrat235
go with the strat, you can never go wrong with a fender.

what? you can go wrong with anything if it doesn't suit what you want to do with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok

with ibanez it's probably going to boil down to which MIJ prestiges are under budget- rg1570, rg1451, stuff like that. Obviously if you can get a 2570 or 2550 for the same price, it might be worth considering, though it's basically the same thing with nicer pickups. you can sometimes get good deals on older, new-old-stock rgs with the older edge pro trem- which a lot of people prefer to the newer edge zero.

again with charvel, budget's going to be the thing- the pro mods (so cal and san dimas) and wildcards (various models, they change every few months) should be under budget too.

the charvels have the advantage of not really needing a pickup swap (though the dimarzio-loaded one has a slightly weird selection, considering the style of music it's aimed at), but they don't have the all-access neck joint and super slim neck the ibanezes have.

what? you can go wrong with anything if it doesn't suit what you want to do with it.

There is a 2550 for 499 euro on local ebay, but i dont really have the money now
But they appear often, as im lurking there for a long time

But thanks a lot ^^

Im also open to other brands ^^

And afaik billy talent use a strat, and lostprophets use a tele
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
oh sure, i'm not saying not to go with a fender, just don't like blanket statements like "you can't go wrong with".

EDIT: some of the japanese jacksons might be worth a look, too, the pro series. though i'm personally not too fond of the floyds on them, i'd go for a hardtail (unless you're willing to swap the trem) if you decided to go for a bolt-in japanese jackson (the neck-thru ones have better floyds, but are more expensive).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, pretty much this.

EDIT:

If you save up a bit, there are sometimes some Caparison Dellinger's on Ebay that sell for about $1,100. You could get a snag on some MIJ custom action with some patience.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, pretty much this.

EDIT:

If you save up a bit, there are sometimes some Caparison Dellinger's on Ebay that sell for about $1,100. You could get a snag on some MIJ custom action with some patience.

Thanks for the tip, but as i live in the netherlands... Are the used prices insane
But i will look into all
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
yeah it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, most 5 start dealers online are pretty willing to ship internationally. I got my MIJ Strat from Japan on ebay, actually. I only said Caparison because you said Killswitch Engaged. There are a lot of other great customs companies out there that you can find on ebay with some patience and searching. Good luck!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
thanks a lot ^^

but used isn't a lot in Holland...
And the prices can be CRAZY here..

But i will check the Ibanez, when i finaly get my payout... ( then i finaly have enough )

But thanks all
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
Hello ug,

I think i am in need for a new guitar... My ec-100 sounds a bit dull and i think i prefer a other shape.

Budget: 800€ max
City: tilburg, the Netherlands
Genres: from billy talent to killswitch engage to lostprophets to in flames..
Gear: ec-100, h&k TriAmp, Framus 212 v30's

Things i been thinking at:

Some kind of ibanez with HSH configuration
Some kind of fender HSS / HSH strat

I prefer buying new, but when a guitar is teh awsomeness, i will save a bit more for it

I dont know anything about guitars, so please help me. And Please give me specific models.

Greetz,
Tunder

It's basically preference. If you are an Ibanez guy (a shredder and heavy tremolo user, but don't bend strings), then go with the Ibanez Saber Series. They have the ultimate ZR locking tremolo system that stays in tune perfectly. If you are a Fender guy (Shredder and heavy string bender but not a heavy tremolo user), then a Blacktop Stratocaster or a Fat Stratocaster with a Locking Floyd Rose will help.
PS I think it's time that you learned how to choose a guitar. Many experts can give you an advice on buying a guitar.
why can't you bend strings on a wizard neck, out of interest?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry for late reaction

The reason i dont go to a store is because i dont really trust the salesman

I dont wanna end up with a shite-guitar...

I dont have a FR on my ec, and i think i miss it..
And the palm mutes doesnt have the tight low end ( i think ) that i want..

Still thanks guys ^^

I will check all ( when the shop stocks them.. )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Dave_Mc
why can't you bend strings on a wizard neck, out of interest?

Single-Radius necks, and/or some necks with bad fret leveling, actually make the high bends fret out.
wut

wizards have a very flat radius and big frets which are ideal for bending. and any mij prestiges i've tried had pretty good fretwork.

very few guitars have compound radius necks... to say you need a compound radius neck to bend strings (as you seem to be implying) is daft.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wut

wizards have a very flat radius and big frets which are ideal for bending. and any mij prestiges i've tried had pretty good fretwork.

very few guitars have compound radius necks... to say you need a compound radius neck to bend strings (as you seem to be implying) is daft.

Well, I don't know if big fretboards will help strings bend, but my previous Ibanez RG350MZ I had (which I sold back) had really big frets, but the strings still faded out when I bended them. I know that from my personal experience. Sorry if I confused you a little bit.
Don't compare a rg350 with the prestige line of guitars, please!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by parhelia_0000
Well, I don't know if big fretboards will help strings bend, but my previous Ibanez RG350MZ I had (which I sold back) had really big frets, but the strings still faded out when I bended them. I know that from my personal experience. Sorry if I confused you a little bit.

sounds like a dogy fretjob or something like that. I don't think that's anything to do with the specs of ibanez necks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So the rg1550 / 2550 and 3550 are really the best options??

And im not a dropshot/heavy bending guy..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
it's up to you, really- any of the ibanez mij prestiges, those charvels, or the higher end mij jacksons (the neck-thru ones) would work well. As some other people in the thread have been saying, a lot of those guys use things like teles too, so they might be worth considering, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's up to you, really- any of the ibanez mij prestiges, those charvels, or the higher end mij jacksons (the neck-thru ones) would work well. As some other people in the thread have been saying, a lot of those guys use things like teles too, so they might be worth considering, too.

Thanks ^^

Will test all asap

Thanks a lot.
Now i have a idea what i want and what to avoid
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
72" Tele would be a good shout.

Though if you want HSH, Ibanez is the way to go.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by DarthV
Don't compare a rg350 with the prestige line of guitars, please!

Whoops, sorry, my bad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
sounds like a dogy fretjob or something like that. I don't think that's anything to do with the specs of ibanez necks

Well said.

^^ good call on the '72 tele
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LRCGUITAR
It might be worth mentioning that a pickup swap for your current guitar could (read: will) work wonders for your tone.

I know, but i think it's better to buy a new guitar..

I think it's not worth it to buy pickups for a guitar that's almost the same money...
And i don't wanna take the risk.. ( and i am a newb with solder iron etc... )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30