I was just wondering if anyone had any microphone recommendations. I am looking to record everything, that is vocals (including screaming and clean), electric guitar with distortion, clean, and acoustic guitar. I am using a Mac with Garageband, so nothing too fancy, but it definitely does the job. I currently use a Rock Band mic, which surprisingly sounds kind of alright, but I want something a little better for what I want to do. Is there any mic that is super versatile that can go from very heavy music to really soft clean stuff and capture both well? Budget is around 150 USD.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
You need a real interface, is what you need.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I second the SM58...it's great for vocals and similar to the SM57 so it will do instruments as well.

I also highly suggest an audio interface as you'll want that to plug your XLR connection mics into while keeping the quality up.

Check out my YouTube channel for recording advice on each budget range.
"Budget is around 150 USD."

I thought M-Audio's ranged from 400 to 700

Edit : Never mind, I'm a total douche.

I want to get an interface, what do you advice me guys ? I don't want pro tools. Just the interface, regardless of the price.
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by Sympho
I want to get an interface, what do you advice me guys ? I don't want pro tools. Just the interface, regardless of the price.

Pro Tools 9 works with any device now, and the interfaces that worked with Pro Tools before don't have to be used with it...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by moody07747
I second the SM58...it's great for vocals and similar to the SM57 so it will do instruments as well.

I also highly suggest an audio interface as you'll want that to plug your XLR connection mics into while keeping the quality up.

Check out my YouTube channel for recording advice on each budget range.
A big fat NO to the SM58, unless you really desperately need a mic for singing live. It's not a recording mic, as far as singing is concerned.

OK, you're going to want a large-diaphragm condenser mic for good quality vocals.

If you're fairly serious about recording, you can invest in an audio interface, which will allow you to get the recordings into your pc, as well as provide the 48V 'phantom power' condenser mics need.

If you want to get up and running quickly, there are USB versions available - you just plug directly into the PC. Very quick and easy to set up.
There's a lot of choice out there, at the moment I'd recommend the Audio-Technica AT2020. It's about $80-$100 and you won't need to buy anything else with it:

Don't automatically assume USB = crap quality.

A dedicated interface and mic will always sound better, but the quality is more than good enough for a modest home studio. I use a very cheap Samson USB condenser in my home studio and my mixes get radio play - no one's criticised the vocals so far!
There's some good clips of the AT2020 on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb5amWPhel4&feature=player_detailpage#t=65s
Quote by kyle62
A big fat NO to the SM58, unless you really desperately need a mic for singing live. It's not a recording mic, as far as singing is concerned.

OK, you're going to want a large-diaphragm condenser mic for good quality vocals.

There is a hint of truth in these statements.

However, taking a look at the big picture might help

He wants to record loud distorted guitars along with vocals and acoustics. Small budget, doesn't want anything too fancy, and is cool with garage band. A condenser would be great if it was just vocals and acoustics, but it just doesn't do distorted guitars well.

A 58 will get a good guitar sound and be decent (not great, but definitely workable) for vocals and it can even do acoustics. It's a close call either way. In one case the electric will be lacking, in the other the vocals. I would lean more towards a 58 here because for someone not looking for anything fancy and who is stepping up from a rock band mic will find the 58 to be everything they need. In time they'll want to upgrade to a real vocal mic, but a 58 will hold them over until then.

It's not quite as definite an answer as you make it out to be. Just sayin...

Bono uses a 58 in the studio... it IS a recording mic.
Quote by sandyman323
There is a hint of truth in these statements.

However, taking a look at the big picture might help

He wants to record loud distorted guitars along with vocals and acoustics. Small budget, doesn't want anything too fancy, and is cool with garage band. A condenser would be great if it was just vocals and acoustics, but it just doesn't do distorted guitars well.

A 58 will get a good guitar sound and be decent (not great, but definitely workable) for vocals and it can even do acoustics. It's a close call either way. In one case the electric will be lacking, in the other the vocals. I would lean more towards a 58 here because for someone not looking for anything fancy and who is stepping up from a rock band mic will find the 58 to be everything they need. In time they'll want to upgrade to a real vocal mic, but a 58 will hold them over until then.

It's not quite as definite an answer as you make it out to be. Just sayin...

Bono uses a 58 in the studio... it IS a recording mic.

Bono uses a BETA 58 which is a much more hi-fi sounding mic. I can't stand him either way

And besides, I'm sure a 58 will sound good when it's run through a world-class studio setup (Neve valve preamp, the works) but for your average home studio it's still a very 'lo-fi' choice compared to even the cheapest condenser.

The price of an SM58+preamp/interface is about three times that of a reasonable USB condenser, it's hardly cheap!
Quote by kyle62

If you're fairly serious about recording, you can invest in an audio interface, which will allow you to get the recordings into your pc, as well as provide the 48V 'phantom power' condenser mics need.

If you want to get up and running quickly, there are USB versions available - you just plug directly into the PC. Very quick and easy to set up.
There's a lot of choice out there, at the moment I'd recommend the Audio-Technica AT2020. It's about $80-$100 and you won't need to buy anything else with it:

Don't automatically assume USB = crap quality.

A dedicated interface and mic will always sound better, but the quality is more than good enough for a modest home studio. I use a very cheap Samson USB condenser in my home studio and my mixes get radio play - no one's criticised the vocals so far!
There's some good clips of the AT2020 on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb5amWPhel4&feature=player_detailpage#t=65s

This is a great microphone. It came with all the hardware, ready to go with my computer. I have been using it everyday.

I really want to thank 7PROAUDIO. They gave me a great deal on it.

Geez.... just posted in another thread. Here is a copy and paste, because it directly applies here too...

Sometimes, a 58 will be the right tool for the job, though. To use your analogy, it won't win a formula one race, but if you're mountain climbing, it might be just the thing!

I can't imagine anyone having any issues throwing a 58 or two at some toms - especially floor tom - now and again. (as a for instance)

Also, I had a singer that I recorded whose voice sounded strident through everything I threw at her - my LDC, a large-diaphragm dynamic, my own favourite live vocal mic, etc. Finally, as a last resort (yes, a last resort), I threw a 58 in front of her and it was absolutely bloody fantastic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
CAD M179.

variable pattern, -15dB pad, low cut
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by kvklay
This is a great microphone. It came with all the hardware, ready to go with my computer. I have been using it everyday.

I really want to thank 7PROAUDIO. They gave me a great deal on it.

*REPORTED*

Though I appreciate a spammer who agrees with my choices, cheers dude
^ I've no issues with this. He's propping up a business that (we assume) he has no personal stake in. We're all too quick to tear a strip out of businesses that screw us over (UPS, Purolator, CIBC anyone? LOL), but not quick enough to tip our hats at the good people out there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
^ I've no issues with this. He's propping up a business that (we assume) he has no personal stake in. We're all too quick to tear a strip out of businesses that screw us over (UPS, Purolator, CIBC anyone? LOL), but not quick enough to tip our hats at the good people out there.

CT
Check out his other posts Chris!
EDIT: Actually, I may be mistaken, just all looks spammy to me - every post is related to Amazon. Genuinely friendly, helpful people on the internet aren't common
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 26, 2011,