So i'm trying to come up with some solos that a guitarist should be able to play to be considered a virtuoso.

I am trying to shy away from blues solos because I know that a lot of them feature large improvised sections however if you know a blues solo that is to be memorized in full feel free to share it,

The "Virtuoso" caliber solos i can think off the top of my head are

Eruption
Flight of the bumblebee
Anything of Malmsteen Concerto suite in Eb

anybody got anything else

PS: they don't have to be guitar solos at the base they can be virtuoistic solos arranged for guitar
Petrucci, Gilbert, Govan, maybe Michael Romeo and Satriani, tho Satriani is a bit easier then the others. Those are the ones I can name from the top off my head regarding electric.
Quote by Fingerboy18
Look up Guthrie Govan or John Petrucci.

*facepalms*
i completely forgot Govan, I love him so hard, I must have listened to the full Erotic Cakes 4 times last week

as for petrucci i love his stuff but none of his songs ever stick out to me as revolutionary or mindblowing i don't really know why...

as for romeo and satch they're both cool

but really i'm looking for specific pieces that are preferably all guitar solo or mostly guitar solo
Last edited by Bluesmetalguy at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by Bluesmetalguy
*facepalms*
i completely forgot Govan, I love him so hard, I must have listened to the full Erotic Cakes 4 times last week

as for petrucci i love his stuff but none of his songs ever stick out to me as revolutionary or mindblowing i don't really know why...

as for romeo and satch they're both cool

but really i'm looking for specific pieces that are preferably all guitar solo or mostly guitar solo

Yeah, Dream Theater is not focused in on guitar like Govan's band is. Both are very fun to listen to but Govan gives a bit more "wow" factor.
Quote by Fingerboy18
Yeah, Dream Theater is not focused in on guitar like Govan's band is. Both are very fun to listen to but Govan gives a bit more "wow" factor.

exactly and seeing as how this thread is more about Virtuoso guitar pieces than virtuoso guitar players Govan is more relevant
To be considered a virtuoso you don't need to be able to play those solos, you need to be able to write and improvise solos of that quality, and better, and really perform them with full tone, attitude and emotion.

But some great ones are:

Scarified
Perpetual Burn
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 23, 2011,
Some great guitarists. Ill mention a song or two for each of them

Jason Becker - Altitudes, Perpetual Burn
Tony MacAlcapine - Tears of Sahara
Marty Friedman - Forbidden City, Valley of Eternity
Jeff Loomis - Miles of Machines, Shouting Fire at a Funeral

EDIT: How could i ever forgotten...

George Bellas - Prelude in Cm7
Daniele Gottardo - Cardiology
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Sep 23, 2011,
To get the best out of these pieces, don't just learn them with tab and technique. Properly analyse them and see what the guitarist was doing when he played it, composed it. Otherwise you wont be able to gain the full potential that leaning these pieces can bring.
If you're looking for technically challenging solos, check the stickies or listen to and transcribe some Alan Holdsworth or Shawn Lane.
There's a difference between playing fast to be cool (no offense to MAB, but it doesn't sound emotional at all). Guthrie Govan is insanely fast, but every one of his notes is full of passion and is thought out. Don't get fast just to be fast. No one will ever enjoy you for more than an entertainer. You want to be enjoyed as an artist, but also have people think "wtf does this guy eat for breakfast?"
Quote by Fingerboy18
There's a difference between playing fast to be cool (no offense to MAB, but it doesn't sound emotional at all). Guthrie Govan is insanely fast, but every one of his notes is full of passion and is thought out. Don't get fast just to be fast. No one will ever enjoy you for more than an entertainer. You want to be enjoyed as an artist, but also have people think "wtf does this guy eat for breakfast?"

What this guy said.

Look at Becker, he has the rare skill of being able to write some thing fast, and write some thing slow, and having them both be beautiful emotion wise.

I find a lot of guitar players just set out to play fast, and then once they get fast think 'Now what?' because they dont know what to do with it. The dedicated ones will go back to the start and fix that, the other will think 'hmm, lets just get even faster' and will never improve musically.
Quote by jkielq91
What this guy said.

Look at Becker, he has the rare skill of being able to write some thing fast, and write some thing slow, and having them both be beautiful emotion wise.

I find a lot of guitar players just set out to play fast, and then once they get fast think 'Now what?' because they dont know what to do with it. The dedicated ones will go back to the start and fix that, the other will think 'hmm, lets just get even faster' and will never improve musically.

thank you for this great advice

Govan is one of my biggest influences right now and as soon as i find the time i plan on learning a few things off Erotic Cakes

thank you guys so much
Right now its all about Andy Wood for me.

Shawn Lane is a virtuoso's virtuoso! Even his simplest sounding licks are mind blowing.

Any of Guthrie's or Petrucci's solos make me wanna practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjLyfj8nAg

Steve vai-K'm Pee Du'wee. all of the melody is in the guitar playing. basic comping w/ the bass.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6e6jFSoa28

I'm a huge fan of Justin Derrico, and this is probably one of my favorite solos that he's ever done. Showcases a lot, and turns some heads on some parts. Haven't felt that way about a solo in awhile.

of course Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, Al Di Meola, Bireli Lagrene. But the underdogs have got to get some recognition right
A very passionate and philosophical approach, good taste some German and Dutch composer's music. Mr. Istomin has no annoying scratches the real expansion and strong, healthy, very lyrical Viola DA Gamba sound. People will find a very special Cantabile Telemann and recitative style. This CD is the highest of recommendations.
|
Gray Pianos Flying/Epilogue for Lisa- Shawn Lane
Razor's Edge/Goodnight Kiss(end solo)- Dream Theater (John Petrucci)
Get out of my Yard- Paul Gilbert
Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd
that's all I can think of, I personally like the top two the best
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, GIlbert, Petrucci, Beck, Lane, Buckethead etc..

however there is a HUGE flaw in that question.. being able to play those solos DOES NOTMAKE YOU A virtuoso.

No guitarist is considered a virtuoso because of some solo they played.. it is the combination of a lot of factors..

e.g i am by no means near the level of a virtuoso pinky and i can play vai and satriani..
Last edited by Slashiepie at Sep 30, 2011,
Anything by Albert Lee. Clean and exposed will sort out the real players.

It's all nonsense of course because there is no absolute measure of a musicians skill that is worth anything in the real world. The true measure of a musicians skill is writing. Can you write a piece of music that entertains millions of people and makes them want to come and see you live or buy it on CD so they can hear it over and over again.
^Nice. Might as well mention Brent Mason, Jerry Donahue and Brad Paisley while we're at it!