I'm having trouble playing faster ska...

Basically, my buddy who plays drums and I cover "Same in the End" by Sublime and I find it difficult to keep rhythm with the fast ska. Plus when you add in the fact that I am singing too, and messing with my footswitch constantly because the guitar goes from clean to distorted quite often in the song.

I currently do it with a muted downstroke and clean upstroke but maybe that is the wrong way?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
thats right, just start slow and speed it up, same as anything. I find it easiest to hold my barre chord really lose and just squeeze on the upstroke
Keep the wrist loose and relaxed, and a constant up down rhythm even though you may not strike the stings on every stroke, it just helps to keep in time, that's not to say you're playing out of time though. I'm sure you're not, and your rhythm's on it.

Build up speed slowly over a period of time.
Quote by mdc
Keep the wrist loose and relaxed, and a constant up down rhythm even though you may not strike the stings on every stroke, it just helps to keep in time, that's not to say you're playing out of time though. I'm sure you're not, and your rhythm's on it.

Build up speed slowly over a period of time.

This. Keep the strumming pattern constant and slowly build up speed.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by OpIvy86
I currently do it with a muted downstroke and clean upstroke but maybe that is the wrong way?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Use a "bouncing" motion with your fretting hand to cut the notes off early. You shouldn't need to do any muting with the picking hand.

Also, you may know already but I'll mention it anyway, and that is to play triads on the top 3 strings. The style of guitar playing in this genre is similar to reggae in the sense that they hardly ever use full blown barre chords.

S'all about groove, and in some ways, although you're struggling with the fast tempo, it's actually harder to maintain a good groove at a slower tempo.