Hello fellow/senior rockers!

I have a few questions about a guitar that has recently caught my interest and out of curiosity I thought it would be a good idea asking those here.

The guitar is an Ibanez RG2570MZ and after spending some time gathering information I can't ignore the fact that a lot of people (or some) are questioning the DiMarzio IBZ pickups. I have never heard/played one of these in real life so if someone got any experience with the DiMarzio IBZ (or the RG2570) and feel like sharing it would be really useful. Personally I believe these will do the job just fine for me, I mean they can't be that bad or am I wrong? I know it depends very much on my own taste the whole, but how is the characteristic and overall impression of these?

I also got a pair of Gibson dirty fingers pickups on a Les Paul I hardly use, how are these comparing to the DiMarzio? All I know is that the dirty fingers have high output, strong magnets and tends to be a little muddy sometimes by my experience. Playing with the thought, how would the dirty fingers do on the Ibanez? Or are they a big step down from the DeMarzio?

Of course I'm gonna try out the RG2570 before buying it, hopefully in a few days, but information is always good and I might learn something on the way at least.

I apologize for incorrect grammar or spelling mistakes, might be the beer talking or my lack of English .
I don't know about the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups, but I have IBZ/USA f2/F4 in my RG770DX. I love them. Many people complain about them and say they are cheap Dimarzios and not the real deal, but I believe they are just as high quality. In fact, the F2 is a highly coveted pickup. I just saw one sell at auction on eBay for $80 the other day.

Dimarzio made the mistake of trying to compare the IBZ pickups to something in their regular line, but they aren't exactly the same. The F2 gets compared to a tonezone, but it's nothing like a tonezone and is actually hotter. So tonezone freaks automatically compare it to a tonezone and claim it falls short, when it should probably be compared more to a Super Distortion(except hotter).

Anyway, the only way to know if you will like them is to try them.

Edit: I should say that I swapped the magnet in my F2 to an Alnico 8. I'm not much of a fan of ceramic magnets, and I figured it was a good pickup, just needed an alnico magnet to fully satisfy me. I'm completely satisfied with it now.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Sep 23, 2011,
from what i can remember they're eminently usable. they're made by dimarzio, but oem for ibanez. Some people claim they aren't "real" dimarzios- that's true in the sense that they're not an off-the-shelf dimarzio model, but they do seem to be made by dimarzio ok.

Like most things regarding pickups, it'll just really depend on whether you like them or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are ok pickups but if you can get hold of one an RG1570 is almost the exact same guitar but with worse pickups (ibanez INF pickups i think) then use the money you save and replace the pickups
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
The RG1570 comes with Vintage 7/8 pickups. The Inf 3/4 can be found on most of the lower end RG's like the RG1, 2, 3, 4, 5....and quite a few other Ibeys usually under a grand. The Ibanez OEM DiMarzios are fine IMHO.

Edit: If you really want a nice guitar get the 1570 and swap the PUPS to the Air Norton, Tone Zone, True Velvet like on the 3570 and 4570. Save big $$$$ and get a top of the line Ibey. (minus the puke ugly colors of the 3570)
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Sep 23, 2011,
Thanks for the fast replies!

The RG1550MZ (almost the same as the RG1570 which I guess most of you know) were actually the one I first looked at, but since I can get hold on a RG2570MZ at only ~70USD more than a RG1550MZ I thought that the RG2570 would be the better choice. I also liked the shape/color/inlays on the RG2570 more .

The thing is that I'm at my limit on what I want to spend on a guitar (at the time being) compare to what I'm going to use it for. And by going down to the 1550/1570 I don't think those extra 70 bucks will last long for 3 new better pickups. Sadly the second hand market in my country isn't that great at the moment for those guitars I'm looking for or that would be the best way to go!

But thanks again for all your information, I really appreciate it!
Last edited by foobuba at Sep 23, 2011,
played those pickups through an ibanez premium..... i can honestly say those pickups were pretty bad...for my style anyway. not much clarity and very....mushy sounding. but dont let my opinion turn you off, i played it through a boss pedal display going through probably 30 pedals. and the into a roland cube
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I have the v7/v8 pair in my rga121 and they aren't bad. But they seem a little loose and fizzy in the low end. Decent lead tones from the neck with some gain. Or some nice crunch when you roll back the guitar's volume knob. I'd imagine if I fiddled around with the EQ a little, I could get a pretty good Master of Puppets tone out of them. I have a MoJoe & PAF Joe in my s540 and I REALLY like the pair for the dynamics and clarity, but they are definitely not high output. I'll be swapping out the v7/v8 pair for a set of, probably, nailbombs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Cannot stand the lead outta my v7, its noisy and lacks presence. Im using my aftermath rolled back for leads till my neck pup shows up.
I prefer the Infs to the v's by miles.
Well, I got that exact set of pups in my Ibanez Rg 2570 and I love it.
It's not for modern metal, no SIR, but it does hold up quite well when used to play Ac/Dc and the likes.
And they are very nice when used for Rock, Hard-Rock and even Blues Rock (ala ZZ Top).
They also do Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan fairly well, if you ask them politely.
I'd say go for it.
I thought the V7 and other V pups are the modern Ibanez pickup and the Dimarzio/Ibanez is based off the earlier 80s and 90s models?
I think maybe you have that backwards. According to the Ibanez website, the V7/V8 is called "Vintage" and they make mention in the writeups that they sound like a classic rock I think it was....looking now...

Oh sure, now I can't find the damn writeup I saw. Anyway, they call them "Vintage" so I'd tend to think they are meant to sound more like an 80's PUP perhaps.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I think maybe you have that backwards. According to the Ibanez website, the V7/V8 is called "Vintage" and they make mention in the writeups that they sound like a classic rock I think it was....looking now...

Oh sure, now I can't find the damn writeup I saw. Anyway, they call them "Vintage" so I'd tend to think they are meant to sound more like an 80's PUP perhaps.

Pups were hot in the 80s though. Idk, I'm sure it varied from model to model. My F2 is really hot and nowhere near vintage, and it came out it around 89 I think.
Quote by foobuba
Thanks for the fast replies!

The RG1550MZ (almost the same as the RG1570 which I guess most of you know) were actually the one I first looked at, but since I can get hold on a RG2570MZ at only ~70USD more than a RG1550MZ I thought that the RG2570 would be the better choice. I also liked the shape/color/inlays on the RG2570 more .

The thing is that I'm at my limit on what I want to spend on a guitar (at the time being) compare to what I'm going to use it for. And by going down to the 1550/1570 I don't think those extra 70 bucks will last long for 3 new better pickups. Sadly the second hand market in my country isn't that great at the moment for those guitars I'm looking for or that would be the best way to go!

But thanks again for all your information, I really appreciate it!

yep from the sounds of it the 2570 sounds like the way to go for you. It's only 70 bucks more, has cosmetics you prefer, and as you rightly say, you'll be doing pretty well if you can get 70 bucks to stretch to a half-decent HSH pickup set. While the dm/ibz pickups aren't everyone's cup of tea, they're a good bit better than the v series ibanez pickups, and are good enough (assuming they suit what you play) to not really need to be upgraded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll get a ton of people telling you how much the V and Dimarzio/IBZ pickups aren't very good, but really you shouldn't be thinking about changing the pickups until you actually have the guitar.

I have an RG570 that came with the V7/V8 pickups. They weren't bad by any means, but I love a silky smooth sounding neck pickup, so I ended up snagging a set of Dimarzio Crunchlab/LiquiFire pickups for $80 (as in $40 each).