http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HwuY9QJo_E

Hey guys. Please post a comment or tell me om here which guitar you thought was the fender. I'm trying to show people squiers aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Please forgive my poor playing. I'm more of a bass player

Thanks everyone
Last edited by PBassTeleLove19 at Sep 23, 2011,
The difference between Fender and Squier isn't solely the sound. I would be willing to bet that the first one is the Fender, however, since he whammys without losing tuning to balls.
That's irritating, I thought he would say which was which in the end.

I'm guessing the first was the Squier since it sounded like it had hotter pickups, but who knows, he could have purposely adjusted the EQ and other setting to mess with people.
Yeah the first one is Fender. I cant tell by the pickup sound, and the maple fretboard. Rosewood tends to sound more metallic and maple more smooth highs with spank.

Squier is not bad, but comparing it to fender is not right. Fender produces better guitars, I'll take the classic 50s over any squier. I love the neck on the Classic 50s and the pickups are good too.
Quote by W4RP1G
That's irritating, I thought he would say which was which in the end.

I'm guessing the first was the Squier since it sounded like it had hotter pickups, but who knows, he could have purposely adjusted the EQ and other setting to mess with people.

Nope, same amp settings for both. Even used the same strings to make it even more fair
Quote by ChucklesMginty
'Recording Device: iPhone 3g'

Yeah my apologies. If I had something better to use, I would have used it. Sorry about that
I'd say the Fender was the first one it just sounds so much nicer to me!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Well, I'd agree with fender being the 1st one but honestly, you should have tested a standard strat instead of the 50s. The main reason everyone here can tell the difference is because of the pickups. The 50's pups are hotter and twangier, so anyone here who has played/heard of the pups in them would know.
I don't really believe its a fair comparison.
And i agree, squiers arent as bad as people make them.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Well, I'd agree with fender being the 1st one but honestly, you should have tested a standard strat instead of the 50s. The main reason everyone here can tell the difference is because of the pickups. The 50's pups are hotter and twangier, so anyone here who has played/heard of the pups in them would know.

If i had a mexi standard, I would have used that. I just got the classic 50s for a bargain (200). I also agree its not the fairest comparison, I just thought the squier sounded pretty close to the fender. My ears aren't as well trained as most people on here.
Quote by PBassTeleLove19
Yeah my apologies. If I had something better to use, I would have used it. Sorry about that

i think the point is, it's a completely redundant comparison due to the recording quality. i'd be lying if i said i could even hear a substancial difference between either of the guitars on that recording.

although i think the first one does sound a bit like my classic '50s did before i put some decent strings on it...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by JKHC

I did not know that. I guess the first one really is the Fender then.
I'm not quite sure which was which but I gotta say I preferred the tone of the second.
I don't think you've proven your point. I can barely hear the amp over the acoustic sound of the guitar. I don't think these "Bet you can't guess!" videos are all that useful in the first place, and they're definitely not useful if you can't even hear them properly. These are guitars any of us can go try at a Guitar Center, so I'm not sure that a video is all that conclusive or convincing when I've played both and know which one I'd pick.

Anyway, these guitars aren't that different from each other. I don't think anyone would be shocked if a well set up squier played better than a MIM Fender that needed some work.
difference is also in the feel of the instrument. which in turn effects your playing.

hardly a scientific test though, since you undertook the test in order to prove your point, which would cast doubt on the results... just saying...
---
Quote by W4RP1G
I did not know that. I guess the first one really is the Fender then.

Well, its not much twangier although in the vid it hurts your ears. Maybe the mic on the iphone made it sound like that?

As Roc mentioned, same woods, similar pups, probably same wiring etc. The main difference is the pups and playability which we cant tell from the vid. I'm sure that if you put the pups on the 50s on the squier they would sound quite similar.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Well, I have to say, I am disappointed with how this turned out. I might redo the video and correct all the faults
Quote by PBassTeleLove19
Well, I have to say, I am disappointed with how this turned out. I might redo the video and correct all the faults

How about telling us which one is which?
Quote by PBassTeleLove19
oh yeah, before i remove it, most of you got right, the fender was 1st

i think perhaps it might not be worth the effort to make a better comparison.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i think perhaps it might not be worth the effort to make a better comparison.

This.
Quote by Robfreitag
hardly a scientific test though, since you undertook the test in order to prove your point, which would cast doubt on the results... just saying...

The hypothesis is not "what sounds better?" The hypothesis is "can you tell the difference?" There is no inherent bias in the video/recording, because that isn't the data he's collecting, the data is our responses. It's similar to the Pepsi Challenge, where you are trying to figure out which is which, but which tastes better.

That being said; you can hear a difference between them. The second one is the Squier. Nevermind, he already gave the answer.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Sep 23, 2011,
I think its safe to say:

UG User > Iphone comparison
Well done comrades.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I think its safe to say:

UG User > Iphone comparison
Well done comrades.

If you want me to buy some high tech, expensive microphones, I'll be happy to do it again. Some how, I don't think you're going to.
Quote by PBassTeleLove19
oh yeah, before i remove it, most of you got right, the fender was 1st

What do I win?
Quote by PBassTeleLove19
If you want me to buy some high tech, expensive microphones, I'll be happy to do it again. Some how, I don't think you're going to.

Nah, the major difference between squier and fender is playability IMO. Well, that and the pickups if you compare two different models. I'm 100% sure that if you did Fender standard vs squier affinity we wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference.

I don't know why people hate squier this much. No one ever bashes epi or ltd.....

Quote by JustRooster
What do I win?

I'll mail you a box of cookies, no promise they wont be stale though. So..chips ahoy chewy or regular?

P.S: You pay shipping.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Sep 24, 2011,