I'm planning on upgrading my current amp with something else and I have a ton of options I can't choose from. Here's the de facto checklist:

Budget? Maximum 1000€. Doesn't matter if it's a combo or a head+cab.

Genres? Classic rock, modern rock and stoner-like hard rock. Sounds I like are Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Boris, Foo Fighters and most of all ACIDMAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbr2E5zkFQ).

New or Used? Both are fine.

Home or Gig? Must be able to do both, I also use an audio interface at home.

Closest City? Espoo, Finland (northern Europe)

Current Gear? Current amp is Laney VC15 and guitar Edwards Potbelly.

I know ACIDMAN and Boris uses Orange amps. I had the Tiny Terror once and preferred the VC15 over it so I sold the TT. Right now I've been looking at Laney Lionheart and for some reason Orange Dual Terror. A year back I tested the Rocker 30 at the store and it was damn loud, so I can't imagine it being good for playing at home...

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by skeleb at Sep 23, 2011,
Have you looked at Jet City? They're great for all kinds of rock/metal sounds.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
First thing that came to mind was Orange (Sabbath used them too), but all of the ones I'd recommend wouldn't work well for home use without an attenuator. That said, I think the idea of an amp that's great for home use and gigging is a bit of a pipedream; anything at low enough wattage to sound good at home will never give you a clean sound when playing out. So I say either accept that you won't get a great sound at home whilst remembering it'll sound killer live, or get a dedicated home low wattage amp.

At risk of sounding like a ignorant American, what do Oranges run in Finland (there's a city in Finland called Europe??)? I know the US prices are far higher than those in the UK due to shipping and a lust for exclusivity and such, but I've no knowledge of how that translates to mainland Europe.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

do you have any pedals? Because Hiwatt would be the way to go I'd say. It can do the cleanest of the cleans and still dirty up just awesomely
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by mcraddict81592
At risk of sounding like a ignorant American, what do Oranges run in Finland (there's a city in Finland called Europe??)? I know the US prices are far higher than those in the UK due to shipping and a lust for exclusivity and such, but I've no knowledge of how that translates to mainland Europe.

Sorry, I just typed Europe, Finland so people can get some kind of a hunch where I live. To be more precise I'm in a city called Espoo in a country called Finland.
edit: And forgot the most important, Oranges are in the same price point as UK and Germany, cause I can always order from there.

I know from experience with my VC15 that it's not going to sound as nice at home as playing at band practice, so I'm kind of prepared for it already. I know gig-worthy amps will sound nice at home, but not "that good".

Checking out some Jet City demos now, sounds pretty nice. I had never looked at them before!
Last edited by skeleb at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by Most_Triumphant
do you have any pedals? Because Hiwatt would be the way to go I'd say. It can do the cleanest of the cleans and still dirty up just awesomely

I don't like pedals very much because I like to keep everything simple. Tuner is the only one I have now. If there's a great pedal that will get me "the sound", I will definitely buy it.