Wasn't too sure where this should go but, what live set-up would you recommend for a starting band? I'm really planning on finally investing some money for some good live gear that I can use for a serious band. I was originally thinking of going with a couple stacks but have recently thought of a P.A. system instead because it seems cheaper and more efficient. I also imagine it would have a better all-over sound. I guess I'm just looking for whatever would be the cheapest, most efficient, and best sounding live set-up. Any tips?
Budget?

I mean, theres a difference between a "Cheap Setup" and a "Good Affordable Setup"
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Why do you want the PA? Most, if not all, established venues have their own engineer, PA system and mixers etc.

If you want anything decent, it's a considerable investment to be as good as, let alone better than, their equipment
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Why do you want the PA? Most, if not all, established venues have their own engineer, PA system and mixers etc.

If you want anything decent, it's a considerable investment to be as good as, let alone better than, their equipment

I dont know, PA just seems like it would have a better overall sound and seemed like it would be simpler. I want to be able to set-up my own shows, because I dont really think I would be playing venues right away.

As for a budget, im just gonna start saving up for however much it would cost.
Well, do you have a band? From the sounds of your posts, you don't have a band yet - so unless you plan to go into live sound as a career (in which case buying your own PA system isn't the best 'first move'), I would advise against it.

If you had a full band, and wanted to do lots of small pub gigs with them then it may be worth getting a small vocal PA, but other than that there is little need or point - if you only plan to use it a few times, hiring a PA system would be better than buying one and you would also likely be able to share the cost amongst band members/cover the cost of hiring with the money earned doing the pub gigs.

The other thing is that, aside from getting the vocals heard, there is no real need for a PA system in small venues until you reach a size of say ~100-150 capacity and even then it's only to allow a bit of control over the balance of volumes. In a small room, having several speakers in different places putting out the same signal at different delays is just going to muddy the already-muddied (by the small room) sound further.

I speak from some experience, as I do get some live sound work now and again and plan to do more in the new year (as it's quicker/less hassle than studio work) and there is currently more money in live sound for the average amateur/aspiring engineer, as there are gigs on all the time in many genres at many venues in pretty much every major town/city.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by OnlyTwin
Wasn't too sure where this should go but, what live set-up would you recommend for a starting band? I'm really planning on finally investing some money for some good live gear that I can use for a serious band. I was originally thinking of going with a couple stacks but have recently thought of a P.A. system instead because it seems cheaper and more efficient. I also imagine it would have a better all-over sound. I guess I'm just looking for whatever would be the cheapest, most efficient, and best sounding live set-up. Any tips?

This is such a general question that it is very difficult to answer.

In general

There are three basic set ups:

1. Everything plugs into the PA with vocal mics. - good for rehearsal and small venues, quality usually poor do to overloading of small PA.
2. Each electric instrument has its own amplifier and only vocals and accoustic instruments go through the PA. - good for pub and club gigs
3. As 2 but drums are close mic'ed and so are electric instrument's speaker cabs. - pro gigs in large venues

so

If I assume you are a guitarist because this a guitar forum, I would say best thing for you is to get a 30-100W combo or a 50-100W small stack, and let the rest of the eventual band get an apropriate PA.
If you are a singer/guitarist then a combo / small PA is the way to go - look at middle of the market kit such as Mackie, Peavey, Yamaha.
Buy the best microphones you can afford.