Poll: What would you do if your bodily functions were drastically reduced?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you do if your bodily functions were drastically reduced?
I would pull the plug on myself.
44 39%
I would keep living my life with reduced functions.
20 18%
Can't say either way until I'm in the situation.
49 43%
Voters: 113.
Pit, as most of us grow older, we have to give credit to the thought of what we would want for us to happen in case something drastic happens like losing your vision or both your hands or both your legs.

So the question comes in two parts, one for the poll and one for discussion. For the poll, would you want to pull the plug on yourself if your bodily capabilities were reduced drastically [vision, hands, legs, organs, etc.]? For discussion, what extent of damage would it take for you to pull the plug on yourself? Would you still go on blind? Deaf? Limbless? Stephen Hawking?

Disucss.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
that poll is like saying

'yes to said hypothetical situation'
'no to said hypothetical situation'
'i don't like hypotheticals so i'm going to be a loonie'

are you a loonie

thought so
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
^Same.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I don't plan on living long enough that I need machines to keep me breathing and I have to shit through a tube.

I'll probably shoot myself once I accomplish all that I want, if I don't drink myself to death or OD by then.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by laid-to-waste
that poll is like saying

'yes to said hypothetical situation'
'no to said hypothetical situation'
'i don't like hypotheticals so i'm going to be a loonie'

are you a loonie

thought so

A good poll always offers the indecision choice.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I got a sore throat. I think I'll just pull the plug right now.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Sep 23, 2011,
I have a clause written into my life insurance policy that states I am not to been seen by the public in a vegatative state and that I should be immediately pulled off life support should that be the only viable means of surviving. Seriously who the fark wants to be a vegetable, reminds me of that whole Terry Schiavo fiasco.
In my line of work once I get out of college, I doubt I'll live to see 40 years of age. Special forces work for the FBI isn't exactly super safe. Even says it right in the job description
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
When it got to the point that I became a burden on my family, I'd simply OD on my painkiller of choice. At least I'd save somebody the guilt of having to actually pull the plug on me.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
If I ever couldn't walk on my own, like for example if i was paralyzed, I wouldn't want to live. I would also want someone to pull the plug on me if I became mentally disabled.
I'd choose to live unless something happened to my mental capabilities, then fck that. If I'm somehow a quadriplegic, I can always challenge and train my mind and make the most of that, but if I'm in a deep coma or have very little to basic mental functions, then I don't want to be a burden, because there's nothing I can do to help anyone or advance anything. Unless I was needed for science, or something.
I'd pull the plug, would be much cheaper.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
If I lost my hearing, my vision, or my arms, I'm gone.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
If I'm a vegetable I cannot pull the plug myself. Someone better do it though dammit

If I was deaf or blind, I wouldn't.

I would if I couldn't stop shitting myself though
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by ne14t
I have a clause written into my life insurance policy that states I am not to been seen by the public in a vegatative state and that I should be immediately pulled off life support should that be the only viable means of surviving. Seriously who the fark wants to be a vegetable, reminds me of that whole Terry Schiavo fiasco.

I thought euthanasia was illegal?

Also I would kill myself if I lost anything more than a finger.
Quote by ne14t

this
If I need to constantly be hooked to a machine to survive, I'd probably want to pull the plug. I don't really want to live if I can't live on my own.
Quote by daytripper75
If I need to constantly be hooked to a machine to survive, I'd probably want to pull the plug. I don't really want to live if I can't live on my own.

mhm
I'll put a fucking bullet in my brain before I get that old.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
If it comes down to me being forced to be on life support in order to remain alive, I'll pull the plug. It's just not worth living if I can't actually live. To be made to exist like that would be (in my mind) trapping me in my own body; it becomes a prison rather than a home.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
If that happened I'd keep living. Cause fuck it, it may suck, but I hate giving up. I'd push myself just to see what I could do with reduced functions.

Quote by daytripper75

Assuming it's not this bad. So long as I have the capability to live as an individual and I'm not completely reliant on a machine and not completely immobile, etc. If I had to be stuck in a bed 24/7 with wires and tubes violating me to survive I would rather die.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I think I'd draw the line at being in an indefinite catatonic or vegetative state. I wouldn't want to burden my family, friends, or the medical system with that uncertainty and responsibility.
Even if I could still think, being expressionless and/or unable to communicate my ideas or sentiments would be render those thoughts absolutely worthless, in my regard, and that freedom to share is one of the biggest things I value about life. I'd be as well as dead if I couldn't interact with the world.

However, if I were blind, deaf, had a limb amputated, or anything of the sort (really, losing control of/ownership of a limb or sense), I think I would want to persevere, no matter how difficult it may be to begin.
I love life far too much to shut it off just because of a what's essentially an inconvenience, though I think any one of these scenarios is wildly different to being a vegetable, since with these I can still be a part of the world.
Last edited by juckfush at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by daytripper75

This. I would give full permission to my kids, wife, whatever to pull the plug if I was being kept alive by life support.

I mean, who wants to live like that? I mean, really, you're not there in mind. Your body is just being kept alive by a machine that's doing everything for you. You can't see, you can't breath on your own, you can't feel, so what's the point? Hopefully I never get to this point in my life, but I would want somebody to take my off life support if that did happen.
Deaf/blind/loss of limb etc. I think I could deal with (touch wood). If I was to be in a Persistant/Permanent Vegetative State; or could only sustain life by being hooked up to ventilators etc. I think I would prefer to have everything switched off and/or end my life by euthanasia.
I'd probably go on if I were blind because my appreciation and senses for music would probably increase drastically but if it were anything else, legs, arms, I'd probably pull the plug on myself.
I'd allow myself to be killed, and give permission to the highest bidder to use my body in any way. Money goes to charity
I don't know what I'd do. I think I'd stick around to piss off my relatives.
As a Catholic, I'm probably not allowed to pull anyone's plug.