Page 1 of 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15004063

What if those new jeans you've just bought start tweeting about your location as you cross London Bridge?

It sounds far-fetched, but it's possible - if one of your garments is equipped with a tiny radio-frequency identification device (RFID), your location could be revealed without you knowing about it.

RFIDs are chips that use radio waves to send data to a reader - which in turn can be connected to the web.

This technology is just one of the current ways of allowing physical objects to go online - a concept dubbed the "internet of things", which industry insiders have shortened to IoT

This is when not only your PC, tablet and smartphone can connect to the web, but also your car, your home, your baseball cap and even the sheep and cows on a farm.

And as we switch from IPv4 towards IPv6, which will support some 340 trillion trillion trillion addresses, more and more objects will jump into the web.

Smart buildings and intelligent cars with assigned IP addresses are already making cities smarter - and soon enough, the entire planet may follow

and the best part of the article.

"A typical city of the future in a full IoT situation could be a matrix-like place with smart cameras everywhere, detectors and non-invasive neurosensors scanning your brain for over-activity in every street," says Rob van Kranenburg, a member of the European Commission's IoT expert group.

Over-thinking Make sure you don't think too much or they'll put you away for being a bad consumer.
Honestly, it always seems far off but 1984 is ever more becoming a reality.
does that include bowel movements?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
People think they're far more important than they really are. Nobody gives a shit that you were at Kohl's at 3:40 pm.

Edit: Do you enjoy being such a stereotype, Zoot?
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 23, 2011,
Don't tell the paranoid schizophrenic population.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Just because something can happen, it does?

this >_>

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

RFIDs aren't something new.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by genghisgandhi

If it's incedibly easy to do and is very helpful for the people in power then yes i expect it will happen. Make sure you don't do any overthinking too, thinking is bad for the system.
Quote by Zoot Allures
If it's incedibly easy to do and is very helpful for the people in power then yes i expect it will happen. Make sure you don't do any overthinking too, thinking is bad for the system.

It's just not possible to track thoughts like that. The best they can do is guess how alert you are. Rest easy.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by StewieSwan
People think they're far more important than they really are. Nobody gives a shit that you were at Kohl's at 3:40 pm.

This.

I doubt they'd be looking into you unless they suspect you of being a terrorist or something to that extreme.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Like Stuart said, why would the government care about me going shopping for clothes?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Make sure you don't do any overthinking too, thinking is bad for the system.
Like you clearly did to arrive to the same conclusion that you always do...?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
-_- Do you guys have to make Zoot the new Fassa?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
-_- Do you guys have to make Zoot the new Fassa?

No. He's doing well enough without our help.

The tracking is most likely going to be used for stuff like market research and optimal centres of development (due to a large amount of the population going here or there etc). I'd say it's harmless unless you're engaged in some illegal activity that the government can use the data to use as evidence against you (where you were at what time for how long).
I'm not even that paranoid.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by SteveHouse
It's just not possible to track thoughts like that. The best they can do is guess how alert you are. Rest easy.

He was speaking hypothetically, the article isn't about tracking thoughts, however the fact that someone like that is even bringing it up is terrible, he doesn't seem to be saying it in a negative light at all.
Quote by due 07
This is kind of cool but weird.

Your presidential campaign reminds me of the recent Rick Perry advertisement. Go well good sir.
Quote by StewieSwan

I agree in general, but the data could be important for market research.
Professor Griff talked about this in an interview I watched on youtube a few months ago. Don't really care though.
The most immediately worrying thing about this is that there is a very real possibility that you may buy an RFID equipped item without knowing it. Technology like this makes it less and less likely for consumers to have the encyclopædic knowledge of every product they may purchase, which is going to be antithetical to the efficiency of markets. Although you may not care if you're getting tracked by Walmart, this is a sign of a much larger problem for you.

Quote by genghisgandhi

He said "potentially," dood.
Quote by StewieSwan

Edit: Do you enjoy being such a stereotype, Zoot?

This. Get over yourselves conspiracy theorists. The government doesn't give a shit what you do. Most of you look insane to the general public anyways.

What will I do with this information? They've probably got this sort of stuff in use in more ways than we know about already. It's not gonna change the way I live, so fuck it. They can track me all they want.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by Lost Dog
This. Get over yourselves conspiracy theorists. The government doesn't give a shit what you do. Most of you look insane to the general public anyways.

Even the most ardent supporters of capitalism should be worried about this, considering it's a sign that unaccounted technology is destroying the system by taking advantage of consumers. Which, of course, means it is a very real message of how the demand side of the economy knows less and less about the products they're buying every day. And not by choice, either. How is capitalism going to work when people don't even know what they're buying?

This isn't a tinfoil crisis, this is a signal of a glaring problem the economy is facing.
Quote by due 07
Even the most ardent supporters of capitalism should be worried about this, considering it's a sign that unaccounted technology is destroying the system by taking advantage of consumers. Which, of course, means it is a very real message of how the demand side of the economy knows less and less about the products they're buying every day. And not by choice, either. How is capitalism going to work when people don't even know what they're buying?

This isn't a tinfoil crisis, this is a signal of a glaring problem the economy is facing.

inb4 police state
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
That much data would be completely impossible to analyse without giving every single important task to computers, for which they would have to be near-sentient.

Should that ever happen, I'd be worrying more about a Terminator scenario than a 1984.

EDIT: I meant impossible to analyse with the intent of controlling people.
Quote by blake1221
He lives for it.

What in here have i said that isn't linked directly to what the bbc article says? The idea of movements being tracked is pointed out in the article.

edit: and then you have shit like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8075563/Every-email-and-website-to-be-stored.html
and think that being concerned makes someone insane..
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
What in here have i said that isn't linked directly to what the bbc article says? The idea of movements being tracked is pointed out in the article.

They can do it with mobile phones too. They did a study on human behaviour using it not too long ago.

...still not a police state though...

But we're still not a police state.

Ergo, you are hittin' the paras.

Quote by Zoot Allures

I think the blindly jingoistic hate for you has grown closely correlated with the "Leave Ethan Alone!" bandwagon. It's an interesting phenomenon.
I don't hate Zoot. I think a lot of his views are off the wall, but I don't hate him.

Ethan, on the other hand...
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Not really too worried. And if you're really worried about what you're buying and the government 'tracking' you then watch you buy, where you share information and what that information is that you share.

If you're really worried about anyone tracking you I'd be worried about the 'new' Facebook. That is just herrondous
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Sep 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 2