How does i get rid of them. I play in a prog hardcore band and sometimes during our set my hand will cramp up and i have to throw my pick down and finger my strings till it goes away. I usually use my fingers when i play in jazz/marching band and improving by myself but for what we play i HAVE to use a pick. Any tips on getting rid of that?
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
I used to have the same problem. All I can say here is just try to hold the pick in a more comfortable position. That and just be sure to stretch your fingers out before playing so your palm doesn't cramp up.

Fuck that - I want a bass amp that can suck dick! Where do you find such a thing
From what I know about cramps, they're usually caused by dehydration and/or a lack of electrolytes. When I'm playing sport, I try to drink as much water as practical as well as a sports drink to replenish electrolytes, which generally stops any cramps. Don't know if it will work for hand cramps, but staying hydrated certainly can't hurt
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Well, I used to have some problems using a pick a while back, and even now I'm still better at playing fingerstyle. My advice is to use high tension strings (not necessary, but my pick playing improved when I switched from 35-90 RS66LBs to 45-100 Chromes) and try picking between the neck pup and the end of the fretboard, kinda like Lemmy (assuming you have a neck pup and it's somewhere in the middle between the neck and bridge/slightly towards the neck of your bass).

Another thing is, don't lean any part of your hand on the bass. You may lean your forearm, but IDK if that will cause some kind of injury or something! Always use alternate picking (this will become easy soon enough), and don't palm-mute the strings like you would with a guitar. Remember, you're (mostly) playing single notes, there's no need for downstrokes all the time.
When I got my bass (not that long ago lol, maybe 4/5 months) I used to have cramps fingerpicking . I eventually just got used to the position and it went away after a few weeks. Now........*ahem* a guitarist lecturing a bassist on guitar technique, ironic isn't it?

Stretch your other fingers when you feel a cramp coming i.e. all the fingers in your right hand except your thumb and index....well...unless you use other fingers to hold the pick.

Rest your hand as much as you can on the strings even when you're playing. If you're playing on A/D/G etc strings rest your hand on the E string. Its what I do while playing guitar and brought it over to bass and it feels comfy. On guitar you can rest it on the bridge but thats not exactly an option on bass unless you have abnormally long arms.
Use heavy picks. I find it alot easier to control while playing bass.

/lecture.

So hopefully that helps. Those things work for me. If not for you then sorry for posting
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Stretch your fingers and stay hydrated. same as any sport.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Thanks for the responses. I think my hand might have been cramping because i would rest the side of my hand sorta on the bridge? Mostly lazy technique.
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
yeah, I used to do that, and it caused discomfort and inability to play all the strings easily, but nothing major.
Hold on, let me grab my bass...

Yep, let your hand kinda hover above the strings. I sometimes find myself leaning a very small area of my palm on the string below the one I am playing, or on the body of the bass in the case of the E string.
Last edited by rageahol at Sep 26, 2011,
Also I dont know if you are using a regular guitar pick or not but i found that using one of the larger triangle bass picks got rid of my cramping almost right away, along with practicing with the pick as much as i did finger
I don't know just where I've been, who I am or what I've seen, I just know somethings happened to me, cause I've lost touch with my memory
Quote by darknes40
Also I dont know if you are using a regular guitar pick or not but i found that using one of the larger triangle bass picks got rid of my cramping almost right away, along with practicing with the pick as much as i did finger

My band had a gig the other day and I lost my pick, so I was forced to use my guitarist's. It was a .88mm I think? Flimsy as shit. I prefer 2mm <3
I also had this problem. keep a firm, not tight grip on the pick, keeping your hand and fingers relaxed is key. what was very helpful to me in addition to that is placing the tip of your pinky on the pick-guard area while picking. this elevates your hand above the string without having to use strange muscles in your hand. but those strange muscles will strengthen and then you can develop your own technique
Quote by IcanHasBass
Thanks for the responses. I think my hand might have been cramping because i would rest the side of my hand sorta on the bridge? Mostly lazy technique.

I usually leave the top half of my pinky, and ring finger resting on the bridge, and my middle finger kinda just floating around and holding the pick with my pointer and thumb. So I can bounce my hand off the bridge when I palm mute, and go back down quickly without going to far, kinda of a anchor point...works for me.

Otherwise, keep doing it and you'll eventually get used to it.