my nails keep breaking and im in school for classical, my middle one broke the other day and now my index finger's nail broke even worse (right on the side I need too).

I have 2 pieces to learn this weekend and perform in front of my class and a bunch of practice to do, and itd just be easier for me at the moment if I could go somewhere and grab some fake nails to glue on at least temporarily until I have more time to let my nails grow without it affecting my tone and/or grade.

so what kind of nails do I need here? Im hoping I can just get them for under $20 and super glue at some local store, but for some reason I have a feeling im probably going to need something more special than that...

yes I know superglue weakens nails, this is bad, an excuse etc. Id love to grow them out, seriously, but Id like to be able to sound at least decentish by monday so I dont have weeks to deal with.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
like ive noticed most of the fake nails Ive seen are far too long for classical as I only really need a few millimeters of nail, how would I go about shaping/sizing them to be what I need?

I know some people do this, so it must be possible. any help is greatly appreciated
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
you can file fake nails, and they have nail glue...

risk embarrassment though, you nail man

edit: i understand why you need long nails, i was just joking haha
so just like ones at rite aid or walmart would be fine? I saw there were specific brands and kits being sold and assumed the worst (that for some reason standard nails and glue wouldnt cut it) because if they will work out fine I'll go pick some up tomorrow.

and slightly long nails (not really too long), are a necessary evil for classical guitar. I hate it because I use my hands a lot and break my nails often.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 23, 2011,
for now, you might find that kiss pre-glued nails will work - they have them at targtet and walmart. they're thinner than my natural nails, so a bit clackier, but they do stick right on and pull off using warm water when you're done. be sure and use acetone or alcohol to clean your nails for the best fit before pressing the fake nails on. you might want to cut them to length and file them to shape before you put them on as the bond isn't THAT tight. i was able to play bass wearing a set the other night, and i played hard for 20 minutes. a couple times, i pressed the edges back on and they stayed on.

if your nails break a lot, i'd suggest you get acrylic overlays - shortish ones - in the long term.

or i'm going to try something else. i've ordered rico nails adhesive dots. when they get here, i'm going to the nail shop and have 2 sets of acrylic done while i'm wearing the tips - then i'll pull them off and have 2 sets to use whenever i need them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
if the acrylic fakes I buy at the store dont work, I'll risk the embarrassment and go get acrylics done professionally this weekend. Id like to have them on by tomorrow so I can more effectively practice with proper technique.

Im already scared a bit out of fear that Im not good enough to pass with my poor reading skills, but my teacher has a bit of faith in me I guess, and im becoming better, plus if I get through this I'll be a hell of a musician and not just some guitarist who noodles about a lot. its actually super exciting. plus I actually really like classical guitar.

and broken nails are something I really didnt need right now. my nails really arent that weak its just I overuse my right hand for one, and my electric guitar picking technique sucks apparantly, as sometimes my nails get caught perpendicular to the strings while Im picking, and SLICE, gone goes the fingernail (or at least part of it).
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 23, 2011,
i love the built on acrylics for playing - when done a bit thicker than your natural nails, they have a wonderful warm tone, are not clicky and are almost bulletproof. there's a big catch, though - they have to rough up your natural nail to apply the acrylic and the tips, which means your own nails underneath will be weaker.

btw, if your nail person goes to sculpt the nail on by painting acrylic over a form, don't go for it - those break when playing guitar or doing just about anything. if your nails are too short, get what they call tips (use that word - they'll know what it means) put on with acrylic over them. the tips actually cover a lot of the nail, not just the tips, and act as a strong form for the acrylic. later on, as the tips grow out, they just keep painting the acrylic over your prepared nail.

best of luck to you!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by spiroth10
my nails keep breaking and im in school for classical, my middle one broke the other day and now my index finger's nail broke even worse (right on the side I need too).

I have 2 pieces to learn this weekend and perform in front of my class and a bunch of practice to do, and itd just be easier for me at the moment if I could go somewhere and grab some fake nails to glue on at least temporarily until I have more time to let my nails grow without it affecting my tone and/or grade.

so what kind of nails do I need here? Im hoping I can just get them for under $20 and super glue at some local store, but for some reason I have a feeling im probably going to need something more special than that...

yes I know superglue weakens nails, this is bad, an excuse etc. Id love to grow them out, seriously, but Id like to be able to sound at least decentish by monday so I dont have weeks to deal with.

For a short term repair you can use a kit: Savarez, Aria.
Quote by patticake
i've ordered rico nails adhesive dots. when they get here, i'm going to the nail shop and have 2 sets of acrylic done while i'm wearing the tips - then i'll pull them off and have 2 sets to use whenever i need them.

I've got a dusty memory (from a guitar forum) that you can buy those glue dots at an arts and crafts store.
you can buy all sorts of glues at crafts stores. whether they're the same strength and safe to wear on your nails is another question. personally i don't feel like being my own test subject to find out

Quote by another_dave
I've got a dusty memory (from a guitar forum) that you can buy those glue dots at an arts and crafts store.
Quote by Skeet UK
Ping Pong Balls work well from what I heard, the material they are made of resemble what you want, at least from what my teacher told me.

Find a way to get them in a nail shape to the size you want and there you go.
Hey whats up with the old proven ping pong ball ? Yeah you trim a piece & superglue it to your nails (some of our guitar legends have used this method).. Personally I think acrylics are better, but hey you did say under $20 ,,,, my local nail salon charges $32AUD for 1 hand. & the acrylic tips lasted me less than 1 month & wore away in chunks.

Oh for those of you worrying about superglue being safe for putting in contact with you skin/nails. Well guess what super glue was invented as a surgical aide for on the battlefield (like M.A.S.H.) so they could stick the skin together & send you off to get serious medical attention. Thats why when you get some on your skin it is INSTANT bond, where on other materials it takes up to 1 minute to dry.. GOOGLE it!!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 24, 2011,