Picked up my new guitar today. The factory setup had the fine tuners at the middle position, and the FR was perfectly aligned. Sadly the tuning went off. In order to get it back in tune, I had to mess with the fine tuners a good amount. The end result was the fine tuners were almost all the way in, and the bridge skewed a little, by about a few mm. This was after i played around with the floyd a good amount, so the strings should be pretty stretched out. Anyways, I didn't like having the fine tuners all the way down, so I reset them to the middle position (at which point the bridge aligned perfectly again), and then loosened the locking nuts and retuned the guitar to standard. Now the guitar is in tune, the locking nuts are at the middle position, but the bridge is slightly skewed again. I personally don't really mind it since the difference is so small and doesn't affect the action by any noticeable amount, but I'm just wondering if this is bad for the FR or anything. This is my first FR guitar, so I'm pretty new to all of this even though I read up a lot of stuff on the net.

TL;DR - The bridge on my double locking guitar is off by a few mm. Action isn't affected by a noticeable amount, but is this bad for the FR or guitar? Thanks.
What way is it skewed? can you post a picture?
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
That's what the claw screws are for.

Recommend blocking the trem both directions, bringing fine tuners to middle, tune w/headstock tuners, adjust claw srews to where bridge stays in the right position without the blocks and without changing tuning.

It's not bad for it.

BTW, you haven't truly stretched the strings until you can yank on it without it dropping pitch at all. Unless you stretch the strings all the way before locking the nut, then you won't get stable tuning.
Oh yeah, upward means the strings are longer now. After you finish stretching the strings, you'll need to re-tune it with the bridge at the correct angle, and then set your claw tension.

P.S. The main thing that damages FRs is adjusting the action height while the strings are under tension--the rotation of the posts grinds down the knife edges (this applies to models like the Ibanez Edge series of trems and any others where you turn the posts to adjust the action and when those posts serve as the fulcrum for the knife edges.)
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 23, 2011,
Quote by jetwash69
Oh yeah, upward means the strings are longer now. After you finish stretching the strings, you'll need to re-tune it with the bridge at the correct angle, and then set your claw tension.

P.S. The main thing that damages FRs is adjusting the action height while the strings are under tension--the rotation of the posts grinds down the knife edges (this applies to models like the Ibanez Edge series of trems and any others where you turn the posts to adjust the action and when those posts serve as the fulcrum for the knife edges.)

Sorry didn't really understand the PS. Still learning the names of the specific parts of the FR. Could you explain it in more layman terms?
dude that barely anything from what i can see, i say your fine
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Probably because the guitar is new and things are still settling on it, noting to be concerened about right now. If the issue sticks around for a while then there may be something that needs to be rectified.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by nirviathan
pic 1 is how it is now. pic 2 is how it should be.

You should adjust and tighten the spring claw screws by 1/8 turn (not 1/4). This will add some more tension and increase the tune of the guitar. Once you tune it again to the correct tuning the tremolo plate should start to level. Repeat again until you completely level it.

This is a very simple fix but you must remember not to adjust the spring claw screw too much.
I would actually do that but I don't have a screwdriver atm. So i'm asking if it does any damage if i leave it how it is for the time being. So far I'm guessing it doesn't?
Quote by nirviathan
I would actually do that but I don't have a screwdriver atm. So i'm asking if it does any damage if i leave it how it is for the time being. So far I'm guessing it doesn't?

No it will not damage the tremolo system. The string action should increase by a little bit but it should not be an issue if you plan to fix it soon. You should be able to access and adjust the spring claw screws from the holes at the back plate covering the back tremolo cavity area. I suggest using a somewhat long screw driver so you can adjust it easily.

You should start learning how the FR system works so these kinds of issues do not alarm you in any way.
That's fine and nothing to worry about. Mine actually leans the other way(inwards) a few mm because I use 9s and the spring tension is higher than the strings so it pulls it back more.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Quote by nirviathan
Sorry didn't really understand the PS. Still learning the names of the specific parts of the FR. Could you explain it in more layman terms?

Not really, but this might help:

So the fulcrum is the part of the post like a notch, that the bridge pivots against.

And the knife edges are the sharp parts of the bridge where it contacts the posts.

BTW, judging by your pics the bridge is only off by about 1mm or less. Not a big deal at all. Definitely not going to hurt anything, but not ideal either.

Also, I gotta correct my other post...when the bridge is up like that, the effective string length is actually shorter, so after you re-tuned it you had more tension on the strings than on the springs. So NewbieRock is correct that you'll need to tighten the claw screws a bit.

Also, when people talk about strings "settling" it really just means they haven't been fully stretched yet. That's a much bigger deal with an FR because it's such a hassle to balance the spring tension to match the string tension and the tuning--blocking the trem while doing this is a big shortcut and can save you from doing it over and over and over. But you're still better off fully stretching the strings before locking the nut.

Hope this is more clear, and HNGD!
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 24, 2011,
you might be able to get away with just adjusting the springs in the back
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E