I have recently bought a dean 22fret bass guitar.I have learned a lot of tabs&songs in the past few months.How would i be able to play without looking at the neck.i seem to be havin troubl with playin without lookin.. Any tips??please comment if you have any tips
no shame in looking, whatever works for you.

You've got to really know your instrument. Give it a year or two.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
you have to know the bass.

I have to look on strange new basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Play in the dark. Seriously--I play my acoustic in bed before I go to sleep and it's hard to look at the fingerboard with all the lights off.

Put on some mellow backing tracks, turn some incense, put a dim colored light on the other side of the room and layback in a papasan or beanbag. Relaxing in the dark is a fun way to play.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Sep 24, 2011,
I learnt to read music at the same time as learning to play. So it kinda came naturally. Just keep at it. It's one of those things that you'll start doing and not really notice you're doing it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I learnt to read music at the same time as learning to play. So it kinda came naturally. Just keep at it. It's one of those things that you'll start doing and not really notice you're doing it.

^^Also a really good idea! Get a music stand and start learning to read standard notation. If you're busy sight reading, you won't get a whole lot of opportunity to look at the bass.